Why become a member? ×

What pots for a Squier Matt Freeman/CV Bass?

I picked up a new Squier Matt Freeman P Bass a couple of weeks ago, and the pots are quite sorry-looking. The bass comes fitted with Alpha mini pots as standard, which I'd like to swap for full sized ones, however there seem to be lots of different options for sizes when I look online. Does anyone know which pots would drop straight in to the existing pickguard? Do mini pots have the same size thread as their larger counterparts, or will the pot holes in the pickguard be too small for full sized pots?

They vary. I recently replaced the loom on my Indonesian Squier. The routing was so tight I could only use Alpha mini pots. They fitted in the scratch plate fine, but I had to ream out the hole a little for a push/pull mini pot that acted as a series/parallel switch.

It's not difficult to make a hole bigger. The problem is the other way round :)

I’d highly recommend a loom from Kiogon of this parish.  I’ve had several from him and fitted them into various Squier P basses.  Sometimes a bit of a squeeze but they’ve always fitted.  The scratch plate holes have needed to be slightly larger, not every time or every hole but it has been required on occasion.

CTS solid shaft pots, Switchcraft jack socket and solderless connection to your pickup. Simples 😁

Order a full size CTS pot online, will cost a couple of quid. See if it will fit, if so then I`d go with the KiOgon loom idea, quality easy to install products, same spec gear as what Fender put in their US basses. Yes you`ll have to probably widen the holes in the scratchplate but that`s not too difficult. I`d go for split-shaft pots rather than solid-shaft ones as well - sometimes the knobs on Squiers won`t fit the solid-shaft pots.

44 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Order a full size CTS pot online, will cost a couple of quid. See if it will fit, if so then I`d go with the KiOgon loom idea, quality easy to install products, same spec gear as what Fender put in their US basses. Yes you`ll have to probably widen the holes in the scratchplate but that`s not too difficult. I`d go for split-shaft pots rather than solid-shaft ones as well - sometimes the knobs on Squiers won`t fit the solid-shaft pots.

Ah, yes fair point.  I forgot to mention that I usually also purchase a pair of chrome flat topped knobs to suit the solid shaft pots 😍