Why become a member? ×

Fours in Jazz jams

deepbass5

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Hmm... ¬¬ Some audiences go specifically to see some drummers do their solo stuff. Maybe you're not moving in those circles, but they're out there, and many are darned good, too. Joe Morello's 'Take Five' solo spot, as just one example..?

How odd, I was just going to comment that Joe Morello’s solo in Take Five is one of the very few enjoyable drum solos...

...in fact Joe M takes more than one solo during these four songs and they are all inventive and interesting...

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, ambient said:

I've heard of trading fours, whereby each member takes it in turn to solo for four bars. it only lasts until each member has solo'd though.

It's only a 'hack' convention, to give some rigour to a session. One could just as easily 'trade eights' or more if it was agreed beforehand; there's nothing 'sacred' about it at all. Or, as in the case above with Mr Rich, the solo spot lasts until the band leader gives the signal to come back in..! For ensembles that are meeting up, maybe half-jamming, standards, a 'trade four' notion is the oil that greases the musical engine, though.

• Like 1

On 30/05/2018 at 08:53, Burns-bass said:

Like all jazz it can sound great if done properly, and horrendous if done poorly!

When you see some real players engaged in the exchange of ideas it can be mesmerising. 

Also, when you see great players they will only solo when they have something to 'say', rather than assuming they should solo on every tune. I reckon one drum solo a set is about right. 

Agreed that the 'going off piste' has to be talented and meaningful, but if so, yes, do it. So much jazz and jazzists are stuck in stone which surely goes against the whole idea? But what I do know? Nuffing. 

On 30/05/2018 at 08:29, musicbassman said:

Musical masturbation. Please do this in private, not on stage.

Agreed. Great musicians dont need to show off, more so if they are drummers or bassists. Great rhythm sections make the music sound better, they don't need anyone to say "Wow, cant he/she play really fast".