Why become a member? ×

Holt-85

Looking at getting a 2x12 for the rehearse room, to go with my Hartke HA2500 amp. Merely to save lugging bigger cabs around.

Anyone using a 2x12 cab in their rehearsel space? 

Just looking for some feedback, which ones are best, can you be heard in the mix, is it loud enough, etc.

Thanks

I`ve had a few 2x12 set-ups, a Markbass 112 combo with 112 ext speaker, and a couple of Barefaced cabs, Super 12T and Big Twin II. In all cases as well as being ok for rehearsals they were fine for gigs. I never used them on massive stages but for regular pub sized venues fine, so I can`t think that you won`t find a 212 set-up not sufficient for rehearsing. I`ve also heard bassists using two Hartke Hydrive 112s at gigs and again, no problems.

• Like 1

Thanks man. The gigs we play aren't really much more than your usual pub/small club live music venue. Also I find any venue slightly bigger seems to mic the cab or DI the amp to make sure us bassists are heard/felt.

I've been gigging with a Tecamp M212 for several years now. 600 Watts, 4 ohm, and only around 19 Kg, so an easy one man lift. I just use the one cab and have never been left wanting for volume, heft or projection - and I'm playing similar gigs to you i.e pubs, clubs rooms for about 500 people etc. Although I have some PA support the majority of the bass in the mix is still coming from my cab. It easily fills the room. It's more than just a rehearsal room cab ;)

They're not made anymore but if you see one going used I can definitely recommend it. 

I have an EBS2x12 Neo, which is doing much the same for me as Osiris's Tecamp does for him. At the SE Bass Bash , a few years ago now, there was a 'blind' testing of a large number of 2x12 cabs. Don't have the link anymore, but I recall that the Bergantino came out very highly regarded. There are lots of people using 2x12s on the forum and very few people who are complaining about them, so i think it's pretty hard to go wrong whichever brand you chose.

Being heard in the mix has more to do with how you EQ things and how successful you are in persuading your guitarist(s) to lose the bass frequencies, than the cab.

I use a Bagend D12-D, very loud with just my 200w GK 400RB, it’s very efficient but doesn’t put out too much low end tho fine for my 4 string jazz but it’s heavy :( only downside as I’m getting old lol

I would have thought that a 2X12" would be fine for any rehearsal room. I use two Hartke HX112s as part of my main gigging rig, powered by a Peavey Tour 700. Together, easily loud enough for an outdoor gig we did recently on-board a boat at Canary Wharf. And, if switched to 4 ohms, one on its own can cope quite well for smaller gigs. In rehearsals, and with a very loud drummer, I've never struggled even with one cab.

10 hours ago, chris_b said:

My last 212 was a Bergantino CN212. One of the best cabs I've owned.

If I recall correctly one of these was the winner at the cab shootout, Chris? Can`t remember if it was your one though.

I've been using a TechSoundsystems (pre Tecamp) 2x12 for a few years now and can't envisage needing or wanting anything else. Primarily, the sound dispersion is great and I can hear what I'm playing. It's a 4Ohm cab and is capable of massive volume. I use a 500 watt amp at around 50% and it's not a quiet band. It's also very light and has a small(ish) footprint.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

If I recall correctly one of these was the winner at the cab shootout, Chris? Can`t remember if it was your one though.

It wasn't mine, but yes one of these was the preferred cab in that shoot out, and IMO rightly so.

I still miss it but even though it was only 46lbs my back was beginning to complain. Bergs are quality cabs with a fantastic sound in all of their ranges and formats.

Barefaced Big Twin T and Super Twin T, both with a hefty power amp and pre-amp, never had a problem in rehearsals, even with a very hard hitting drummer and guitarist playing some filthy rock.

Big Twin is a great gig cab too, light and loud and very easy to hear onstage, it's easy to move around (designed to fit in the boot of a Honda Civic according to Alex...) but it's not cheap.

Can't recommend them highly enough.

• Like 1

I prefer the flexibilty (and easier carry) of two single 12 cabs. Also, assuming they are 8 ohms each you will get maximum output from your head. Although a 4 ohm two 12 cab will also do that you can't chop it in half for small gigs or practice. A two 12 might be harder to sell when the time comes as single 12s seem more common/popular.

• Like 1

I'm using two VdK 112's for gigs in general.

For rehearsal and practice and very often also for small gigs I only bring one 12" cab. So far they have never let me down.

As mentioned above, having two separate 12's give you flexibility (but cost more).

19 hours ago, Holt-85 said:

. . . Merely to save lugging bigger cabs around. . . Just looking for some feedback, which ones are best, can you be heard in the mix, is it loud enough, etc.

Most 212's will sound good enough for a rehearsal space. 

If moving cabs is an issue I'd look at some good lightweight 112's. For very loud bands I used a Berg 312 (212 and 112 together). I only need 2 of my new "super" 112 cabs to reach the same volume.

I've found that using 2x12's vertically, the sound spreads better horizontally, and because one speaker is higher that it's easier to hear yourself, the bottom one still gets the bass lift from the floor, also other band members hear the detail better as well.

Horizontal speaker stacking is common now for large PA's and even some small ones like Bose and their "knockoffs".

Edited by bobmartin
spelling error..

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for the Schroeder 1212L. I never found a gig that it wasn't enough to supply all the bass i needed, without PA support. Its a very loud sounding cab.

I really wish i had kept mine now (or could afford another), as ive realised 212's are really what i love best.