Why become a member? ×

Marmalade Radancer

dmccombe7

Does anyone have Marmalade Radancer bass tab or manuscript. I've got most of it worked out but some of the minor changes he makes i can't seem to get my head around.

Its not as if its a hard song to play or even a difficult bassline and i could get away with playing similar chord structures but i would like to cover it exactly as played by original 

I've searched several sites but can't seem to find it on any "free" sites.

I guess i grudge paying for it just to get a few notes that i don't already have xD

Dave

I'd never heard it before. Glam covers band want to do it and i thought it would sound pretty good in a Glam Rock set.

I'll probably get the bass part sorted by ear but having the original manuscript would be great to nail it perfectly. I know there was a manuscript for it but can't seem to get it for free and being a Scot i grudge paying for it :D

Dave

The band were on their last legs in 1972 and about to implode, when the News Of The World published an exposee about the band and groupies. The ensuing publicity pushed the failing band back into the spotlight and resulted in their success with this single which was pretty much their last real hit.

It also explains the line during the playout at the end which goes: "read the Sunday papers" ...

31 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

Back in the day, they used to be known as Dean Ford and the Gaylords. I kid you not.

Yep i saw that earlier band name. Guitarist wasn't one of the original members. Just checked the album cover and it was at Easter Studios in Busby outside Glasgow. I thought from memory his name was Frazer Watson but can't see his name on the Marmalade members page on Wiki. ? Maybe he was just a temporary fill in or helping them out. 

I'm curious now and have asked my mate who did the production on the album at the time just to satisfy my own curiosity

Dave

Got it wrong the guy was Fraser Watson but he played with the Poets and some of them moved on to play in Marmalade. Was a long time ago so i must have got mixed up. It was a vague era in my life i'm sorry to say ......... but good fun. xD

Dave

No, that was someone else (Google suggests it was Paul Jeffrys - certainly a sad story). Graham Knight was in the band from the start - and in the good old Gaylords.  He's retired now I believe and although they are still gigging there aren't any original members left in the band.

There's an interview with him here:

Sorry i was following 2 different threads and bands when i was writing this and got them mixed up.

Paul Jeffreys was bassist with Cockney Rebel and then Be-Bop Deluxe. Not Marmalade bassist.

My sincere apologies for getting that wrong and hope i haven't offended anyone with my mistake.

I now feel like stinky poo posting that and will remove it now.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7