Why become a member? ×

I Do Everything Wrong!

plangentmusic

…according to bass forums at least.  ;  )  

Uh oh!

I mix cabinet sizes.  (Two 10’s and a 12” work best for me. )

I like the Sonic Stomp   (But it has to go straight in, not in the effects loop).

I’ve had boutique and custom made instruments and I think that the extra cost is just paying for the fact that they can’t sell as many each moth as a brand name.

I don’t think BOSS pedals suck.

I see no need for an octave pedal.

I can’t really hear the difference regarding what order a pedal goes in the chain.

I hear the difference in wood type.

I can swear I feel the difference between a rosewood fingerboard and a maple one.

I think except in certain cases, (and on certain basses) flats tend to be dull and muddy and sound dead.

I prefer my Ibanez in passive mode.

I think a low B is rarely needed.  (I have one though). 

It took me years to discover the Tech 21 Sams Amp.

I think Ricks are overpriced, but I have one anyway.

Just my opinion of course. 

Does anybody do something that is supposedly “wrong” according to the consensus?

Edited by plangentmusic

I`m in agreement with a lot of what you`ve put, @plangentmusic. I think as above, what you like is what you like. I don`t care what science and physics say is best, I care what my ears tell me is best. And in a lot of cases the stuff that is super advanced and worked out according to the science leaves me cold, whereas a vastly heavy 810 that is regarded in a similar vein to the antichrist sounds like the best thing on earth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, plangentmusic said:

Uh oh!

I like the Sonic Stomp   (But it has to go straight in, not in the effects loop).

I’ve had boutique and custom made instruments and I think that the extra cost is just paying for the fact that they can’t sell as many each moth as a brand name.

I can’t really hear the difference regarding what order a pedal goes in the chain.

I can swear I feel the difference between a rosewood fingerboard and a maple one.

I think except in certain cases, (and on certain basses) flats tend to be dull and muddy and sound dead.

Does anybody do something that is supposedly “wrong” according to the consensus?

Couldn't have put it better myself! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, plangentmusic said:

Uh oh!

I don’t think any of those are ‘consensus’?! You’ll probably find that each of those points has a 50/50 split on here!

Si

• Like 1

There might be huge technical ‘evidence’ as to why one ‘thing’ (wood, pedal, make, mode, bass) is better than another but in the end I think the majority of people make their decisions according to something far more mysterious, the vibe or the feeling they get from whatever ‘thing’ it is. There are endless threads on here (extremely helpful threads I hasten to add) on the merits of all sorts of ‘things’ that go into huge technical detail but I remain convinced that the final decisions we make about what equipment we choose is based, usually, upon highly subjective and nebulous criteria that it’s difficult to name, let alone define.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

There might be huge technical ‘evidence’ as to why one ‘thing’ (wood, pedal, make, mode, bass) but in the end 8 think the majority of people make their decisions according to something far more mysterious, the vibe or the feeling they get from whatever ‘thing’ it is. There are endless threads on here (extremely helpful threads I hasten to add) on the merits of all sorts of ‘things’ that go into huge technical detail but I still remain to be convinced that the final decisions we make about what equipment we choose isn’t based, usually, upon highly subjective and nebulous criteria that it’s even difficult to name let alone define.

Exactly.