Why become a member? ×

ROLI Seaboard - any users here?

Skol303

41 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Conversely our laptop is housed in a flight case with all the required peripherals - audio and MIDI interfaces, DI/Isolation boxes, PSUs, bolted/screwed/cable-tied/glued in place. All the flimsy computer cables are contained within the case and connections with the outside world are made with XLRs via a front mounted patch panel.

^ That sounds like a very sensible approach.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

IMO MIDI connections should be made with XLR cables only. It's the only serious and reliable option.

I suppose you could have a short USB A-B going into a USB to XLR box right beside the Seaboard & then XLR from the box to the PC.

I said I'd get a bit of last week's jam up.
Seaboard is connected to my iPhone via bluetooth.  iPhone is connected to my bass rig (it has 4 inputs, each with their own pre sections).  Moog Model D app provides the sounds.  Excuse the wonderful singist & over enthusiastic snare drum playing.

No noticeable latency & never lost connection.  I don't know that I'd use the iPhone setup for gigging in the local pub, but connecting to the Macbook isn't an issue.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Seaboard Block comes with Equator Player, a simplified version of Equator (which comes with the Rise). It also comes with Noise, which is a free download & worth sticking on your phone/tablet even if you don’t have a block. 

As for size,  it’s smaller than the Rise 25. It’s just the keys part, no other controls. 

1 hour ago, xgsjx said:

As for size,  it’s smaller than the Rise 25. It’s just the keys part, no other controls. 

I don't mind the lack of controls but I was wondering if the keys themselves had been shrunk, like the current trend of mini keyed keyboards

On 02/06/2018 at 07:59, xgsjx said:

I said I'd get a bit of last week's jam up.

That's great! Nice little jam session there mate. And your ROLI sounds cool.

11 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

So has anyone got a block?

I've just recently got one. Still acclimatising to it, but first impressions are that I really like it.

Works just like a mini MIDI keyboard in 'piano mode' and allows all the slidy, squidgy stuff when in MPE mode. The keys are small - significantly smaller than full size piano keys - but I haven't noticed and problems as a result of this, and I'm a very ham-fisted piano player.

The only thing that's taking some getting used to is the black colour scheme of the keyboard itself. My eyes are used to picking out the ebony amongst the ivory and so I occasionally find myself thinking "where the heck has C gone?", or whatever. But I'm sure that will improve with practice.

A solid 8/10 so far for me.

31 minutes ago, Skol303 said:

That's great! Nice little jam session there mate. And your ROLI sounds cool.

I've just recently got one. Still acclimatising to it, but first impressions are that I really like it.

Works just like a mini MIDI keyboard in 'piano mode' and allows all the slidy, squidgy stuff when in MPE mode. The keys are small - significantly smaller than full size piano keys - but I haven't noticed and problems as a result of this, and I'm a very ham-fisted piano player.

The only thing that's taking some getting used to is the black colour scheme of the keyboard itself. My eyes are used to picking out the ebony amongst the ivory and so I occasionally find myself thinking "where the heck has C gone?", or whatever. But I'm sure that will improve with practice.

A solid 8/10 so far for me.

Cheers Paul.  😃

I didn't know that the Seaboard Block had smaller keys than the Rise.  The Rise keys are about the same as what a regular keyboard would be.

Give it a couple of weeks & you'll find you use the lines to identify the "black" keys & know where C is.  It soon becomes like a keyboard, where you can play it without looking, though in MPE, it's like a fretless - you need to play fairly accurate.  But you can adjust the glide so it stays on the note even if you're slightly off it.

I'm seriously considering getting the Rise 49, but I really want a new bass too.

• 1 month later...

OK, this has been playing on my mind for the longest time, in the end I thought I needed to get one. I figured the 25 wasn't much use because of the size but I couldn't justify the 49 (not even thought of the 61). In the end I thought I would get a 25 as it was reasonably affordable second hand, if I didn't like it I could flog it again, if I did like it I could flog it and put it towards the 49.

On 29/05/2018 at 19:10, Woodinblack said:

But there is a drag from the rubber and it is odd, which is probably what I hated it to start.

My 25 came yesterday and it is so different to the demo units I had tried. There is no drag and it is the most expressive keyboard experience I have ever had access too. The thing is wonderful, if I had had this when i was 14 I woudl never have given up the keyboard and taken up the guitar.

So I will keep it for a while and if I am still regulalarly playing it in a few months, I will get a 49.

• Like 3

I used my Rise 25 at a gig on 1st July.  Forgot to switch the GoPro on, so caught none of it in action.

Now that I've moved house, I'm gonna be looking for a band where I can make it integral to the sound.  It's great that most of Logic's instruments work really well with it too.

I only ended up doing that as fiddling around with equator, one of the patches was absolutely identical to one of the main theme synths in equinox - so you start these things and well, turns out you can do pretty well everything in equinox with equator. Wonder if the similarity in name is a coincidence :D