Why become a member? ×

Starfish 5-string
£850

Once again I'd like to try listing a Starfish Designs electric upright bass/guitar hybrid. It was made c. 2001 IIRC and cost me around £1500 then, I think. At the time* they made a fretless bass guitar that could also be put on a stand and bowed - this one is a one-off variant of their standard model with 5 strings and a longer 38" scale. As a result it's too large and heavy to play as a guitar (at least for me) and has to be played on the stand.  There's one magnetic pickup and an active piezo pickup in the bridge as well.

I've put some pictures here, in addition to the one below: Starfish Bass

The sale would include the instrument, stand and case. There was a bow but that needs replacing. The case is solid though there's a little tarnishing on some of the metalwork. The instrument is in west Oxfordshire and I would very much recommend trying it if interested. I might well be willing to discuss offers.

* I think they only do harps now.

IMG_20160311_134443.jpg

Apologies for the delay - it seems I'm not getting notified by email of responses to threads here. Indeed, "nice, but too expensive" is what I normally hear. ;-)

As to the truss rod I don't think it does have one but I'd have to check, which I can't do at the moment. AFAICT it wouldn't need one, though.

• 1 month later...

Currently I have an offer and a deposit paid on this, so I hope that the sale will be completed shortly.

To confirm the previous answer, I did check and there's no truss rod; it's strung with double bass strings and has a similar wooden bridge (but with piezo pickups embedded therein), so the tension is presumably low enough.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...