Why become a member? ×

Direct Sunlight

BrunoBass

What effect will prolonged exposure to direct sunlight have on the finish of a bass? I’m guessing  it depends on whether the finish is nitro or poly, and what the original colour is as to whether it darkens or fades?

neck issues as I found out.having had gigs Friday Saturday and sunday I didn't think and left all my gear in the car with the basses on the back seat. over the corse of the weekend the action on one of my jazzes went from 1.9mm to 5.3 lesson learnt

3 hours ago, bobbytodd said:

neck issues as I found out.having had gigs Friday Saturday and sunday I didn't think and left all my gear in the car with the basses on the back seat. over the corse of the weekend the action on one of my jazzes went from 1.9mm to 5.3 lesson learnt

😳

Can't speak from experience re the mechanical issues, but I have had Basses where there was a distinct 2 tone effect (not the music genre): the top half of the neck has been exposed to sunlight and the bottom end has not and 'shading' has occurred. From memory it was a poly finish and  was the rear of the neck. 

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 2

Just do not leave any instruments or amps/pedals in the sunlight, unless it is just like a gig and you are playing in it! If you have them at home, make sure they are out of the direct sunlight.

I keep my gear in a small room and the blind is down virtually all the time.

I don't know the technical details, but my 1966 Gibson EB2 is still close to the original cherry red on the back and a faded walnut colour on the front. (Mind you imho she looks as a 50-year old bass should - and is pure joy to play  :-)

My 1992 Jazz Plus is a gorgeous metallic midnight blue on the back and just very dark grey on the front. I've tried one of those colour restoring polishes sold for cars and it had no effect :-(

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bobbytodd said:

I had a Hohner Jack go the other way, an hours drive to a gig in the summer sent the action to -2mm! unplayable, good job I took a spare.