Why become a member? ×

PJB for rock? Cab suggestions please.

jonno1981

I'm in the early stages of weighing up options to replace a schroeder 410l that I've just moved on. The schroeder was a great cab for it's footprint and offered a shed load of volume and oooomph, but as circumstances have changed and I'm rarely gigging it was too big and unsuitable for my everyday practice needs. 

So I'm considering a modular rig, multiples of 1 x 12s or similar cabs, ideally something I could buy a single cab for the time being for practice and add another later down the line when I'm gigging more regularly again. I know I'm going to struggle to get anywhere near the power of a 4x10 but I think I can live with something with less power. 

One option that keeps coming around is the PJB range, however I don't think I've ever seen / heard anyone in a rock sounding band ever use them. I've been eyeing up a pair of C4 cabs as a replacement rig as they seem to be roughly a 1x12 equivalent. Current plan is to keep my VT500 and use that as I really like the VT pre circuit to add some warmth, I also use a lot of fuzz for some stuff. 

Has anyone on the forum have any experience of using these in a rock band with a reasonably hard hitting drummer? Am I looking at completely the wrong stuff? I'm open to suggestions, maybe even a swap to a high power combo rather than a head/cab combination. 

I run my Flightcase and PB300 rig with a VTDI on all the time. I currently play in an 80s covers band (leaning more towards the rocky numbers rather than the synth tinged ones) and a Tom Petty tribute. Because of the transparency of the Phil Jones stuff, whatever you put in front of it is accurately reproduced. Previous to this I was using a Mark Bass head through a Schroeder 2x12 cab and the PJ rig is similar, albeit superior sounding (smoother, more articulate).

• Like 1

I'm currently running a Sansamp GED2112 into a Super Flightcase, and it's been excellent so far, the PJB is very articulate but has enough bottom to push the sound I need, even with a 5 string. It's probably not loud enough to compete with a full band without PA support, but I'm studio based for the most part and I don't need the volume.

Sound wise I think it's a brilliant amp, whatever you put in the front end comes out sounding the way you'd expect.

Really helpful replies thank you. A questionmark for me now is just how many drivers would I need to compete with a drummer. Are two c4 cabs really sufficient or should I consider a c4 and a to c8 to cover more scenarios. 

I guess i should commit to a c4 and see how I get on with it in a rehearsal and go from there. 

I hear that the super flightcase and the powered PB300 cab will keep up with most kits, that’s 12 drivers.

Oddly that rig is in the Marketplace in red right now....

Edited by WinterMute
Spelling

I used to have a PJB Sixpak + 9B combination but power (spl) to weight ratio was not great tho. I play heavy rock / metal. I still read posts re PJB & am interested in what they’re making but unlikely to use again, however I would like to try a C8. I’ve kinda had more luck with more traditional cabs (currently running a Bagend 212 which really rocks but is heavy).

So I’d say no unless you get enough of those piranha drivers & enough power & you’re good to go but I don’t think it will be light .. btw I briefly had a Schroeder 410L too, certainly lighter 

sifi - Thank you for your thoughts on this. I think the six pack was one of the heaviest combos on the market when it was in production. The newer stuff is much lighter. The 9b is showing on their site as being 34kg alone, and the six pack 37kg. I certainly wouldn't consider hauling that kind of weight around. 

The 2 C4 cabs together are 26kg combined. Ultimately I'd like to have a really big, solid rig but I just don't want it taking up the space in the house when I'd hardly ever take full advantage of it. 

I play in a rock covers band with a fairly loud drummer playing pubs and clubs and usually just take my c8 which is plenty loud enough. I have a c4 too but to be honest it's unnecessary and I prefer the sound of the c8 alone. Most of the stages are tiny so it's small footprint is ideal too. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with a c8 paired with any decent fairly powerful amp.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jonno1981 said:

I wonder if I’m better off with a c8 rather than 2 c4’s. Any tonal difference between 1 big cab against two equal sized smaller cabs? 

Knowing PJB, probably nothing at all. 

My thoughts would be having two C4’s create a modular system where you have greater resilience if one cab stops working. 

• Like 1

PJB are deceptive. I use two C4s and a 4B - the number depends on how loud I need to be. Tonally, they're clean, with a touch of warmth - not clinical. They project/carry very well. I depped for the bassist at my local blues jam night recently and was surprised how well my two C4s could be heard out in the room. However, I'm not sure my rig would be adequate for rock with a heavy handed drummer (even adding my 4B). Horses for courses and all that.

On Mon May 28 2018 at 22:04, jonno1981 said:

I'm in the early stages of weighing up options to replace a schroeder 410l that I've just moved on. The schroeder was a great cab for it's footprint and offered a shed load of volume and oooomph, but as circumstances have changed and I'm rarely gigging it was too big and unsuitable for my everyday practice needs. 

So I'm considering a modular rig, multiples of 1 x 12s or similar cabs, ideally something I could buy a single cab for the time being for practice and add another later down the line when I'm gigging more regularly again. I know I'm going to struggle to get anywhere near the power of a 4x10 but I think I can live with something with less power. 

One option that keeps coming around is the PJB range, however I don't think I've ever seen / heard anyone in a rock sounding band ever use them. I've been eyeing up a pair of C4 cabs as a replacement rig as they seem to be roughly a 1x12 equivalent. Current plan is to keep my VT500 and use that as I really like the VT pre circuit to add some warmth, I also use a lot of fuzz for some stuff. 

Has anyone on the forum have any experience of using these in a rock band with a reasonably hard hitting drummer? Am I looking at completely the wrong stuff? I'm open to suggestions, maybe even a swap to a high power combo rather than a head/cab combination. 

I used to have the PJB Dalek. Or M500 head and 8T & 16B cabs. 

It sounded great but wasn't loud enough, due to the speakers running at 16ohms IIRC. 

I think I’m going more down the route of a tks cab now. After a bit more research I think I’d like to go for a 12” option like the s2126 cab. It’s in the ballpark cost of 2 of the pjbs and I have no doubt it would be loud enough for my needs.