Why become a member? ×

Ring Of Fire - doing it properly

Happy Jack

Although it has a double time feel, it’s in 4/4 with some 2/4 bars.

Those Mariachi Brass licks are just a two bar phrase of 3/4 and 4/4. I think it might be the 3/4 bar that throws people off-kilter.

Edited by lowdown

The verses are all over the shop as well, I wrote it out for a fireworks night do thinking it would be an easy learn but each one is different. No rules for those guys, just change chord where the tune dictates. 

15 minutes ago, scalpy said:

The verses are all over the shop as well, I wrote it out for a fireworks night do thinking it would be an easy learn but each one is different. No rules for those guys, just change chord where the tune dictates. 

I think you are making it sound harder than what is, Scalpy. It’s actually very structured and disciplined.

The arranger, Peter Newberry transcribed it down to a tee. 

His scrolling score is below. GM midi sounds, but the notes and time signatures are all there.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, martthebass said:

I once heard that the trumpet section was added after the track had been ‘completed’ and they had to fit in as best they could....don’t know if that’s just anecdotal.

Yes. Apparently, In a dream one night he heard the Mexican trumpets, so he rushed to overdub them.

14 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

Yes. Apparently, In a dream one night he heard the Mexican trumpets, so he rushed to overdub them.

Yes, seems it was in his dream. The story is up on Wiki.

After hearing Anita's version, Cash claimed he had a dream where he heard the song accompanied by "Mexican horns". Cash stated, "I'll give you about five or six more months, and if you don't hit with it, I'm gonna record it the way I feel it."[citation needed] Cash noted that adding trumpets was a change to his basic sound.[8]

When the song failed to become a major hit for Anita, Cash recorded it his own way, adding the mariachi-style horns from his dream. This sound was later used in the song "It Ain't Me Babe", which was recorded around the same time. Mother Maybelle and the Carter sisters are prominently featured in the Cash recording singing harmony. Cash tinkered with a few of the original phrases in Anita Carter's version of the song.”

3 hours ago, lowdown said:

I think you are making it sound harder than what is, Scalpy. It’s actually very structured and disciplined.

The arranger, Peter Newberry transcribed it down to a tee. 

His scrolling score is below. GM midi sounds, but the notes and time signatures are all there.

Great video and had a quick check against my transcription- and we work it the same way fortunately. However, I maintain if you have a band that isn’t really familiar with the song and the singers don’t dictate where the tune is it’s blooming tricky!