Why become a member? ×

Which pedal is 'irreplaceable' on your board?

Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Aha! So if you had a Metro 24 rather it would be on? If I'm reading you correctly the DP-3X has taken over dirt duties, but absent that the Agro would still be your dirt of choice? (My ulterior motive for the Q is that there's an Agro in the FS, which I'm tempted to get and to A/B it with my SA Aftershock which I know you now consider to have a pants' tone, but which has a LOT of versatility...)

That is a Metro 24!

The Agro does a great low gain OD, it sounds a bit like a Marshall guitar amp in some ways. Like the dUg, I find it great as an always-on pedal, but not so much as something to stomp on mid-song. I don't think it has much actual low end loss, but it certainly doesn't boost/fatten the lows as much as some other pedals, and if stepping on something to make the track heavier for a specific section I do prefer something with an actual low end boost to it.

3 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

That is a Metro 24!

The Agro does a great low gain OD, it sounds a bit like a Marshall guitar amp in some ways. Like the dUg, I find it great as an always-on pedal, but not so much as something to stomp on mid-song. I don't think it has much actual low end loss, but it certainly doesn't boost/fatten the lows as much as some other pedals, and if stepping on something to make the track heavier for a specific section I do prefer something with an actual low end boost to it.

Ok thanks. In terms of 'always on low gain' I guess I have the microtubes engine on the M900 to cater for that, if needed. But I'm looking for that 'something special to stomp on mid-song' dirt pedal. Sounds like stick with the SA Aftershock for now and give it a good work out...

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Aha! So if you had a Metro 24 rather it would be on? If I'm reading you correctly the DP-3X has taken over dirt duties, but absent that the Agro would still be your dirt of choice? (My ulterior motive for the Q is that there's an Agro in the FS, which I'm tempted to get and to A/B it with my SA Aftershock which I know you now consider to have a pants' tone, but which has a LOT of versatility...)

Do it! Then he’ll have the cash to buy my BMS!

55 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Haha - my main motivation here is not to create a funding stream for your BMS sale (and I love the way you snuk in a shameless plug for that!) xD

Who knows, with that cash I might be tempted to buy one of your power bricks…

Anyway, back to the main event…

On 5/29/2018 at 16:02, Al Krow said:

Ok I'm intrigued that your Boss LMB-3 would be your 'irreplaceable' pedal - what makes it so special for you or does it do that a quality compressor doesn't hit the mark on?

Which other comps have you had that have come close and what's the Keeley doing better to pip them to the post?

Why the LMB3? Well I've used it for years, always does what I need it to and is easy to use, reliable and solid. That makes it a quality pedal for me. And live that is invaluable.

There are other more expensive ones out there of course.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Really boring one, but apart from my Korg pitch black it would be my Hartke Bass Attack VXL. It used to be "always on" and then I went through a phase of not using except as a clean boost or to add some mild overdrive. However, now we're in summer and it's outdoor multi band festival season I have it set up to my eq so I can plug in to whatever backline is provided, bypass the EQ if there's a button allowing me to do so, and the Hartke gives me the tone I want through the amp. Tomorrow I'm taking my fretless to play a twenty five minute set, so having my eq ready before I arrive will save a lot of valuable time.

I find any other effects are just used for small passages within songs. A good bass tone is more important for me than drive or filters though I do love playing around with them!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gs_triumph said:

My desert island pedal would be the Cog Knightfall 66...  Its my always on pedal.

Anything else I have is only used on certain songs or certain passages within songs. 

Interesting...what style music are you playing and what is the rest of your signal in terms of bass & amp & cab?

25 minutes ago, totorbass said:

Mostly the Robot Factory Meatwad envelope filter (meatball clone)

Then the Aguilar AGRO (Third times I buy it)

I feel the Keeley bassist will last long too.

You and your AGRO. You're as bad as Liz Taylor and Richard Burton...😂

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting...what style music are you playing and what is the rest of your signal in terms of bass & amp & cab?

Mainly a rocky indie kind of thing.   Not at all metal. 

I have an Ibanez Atk 800 bass.  Love that thing.  Very versatile.  P thud type of thing through to a stingray-ish sound. 

I have an EBS Reidmar 750 and TC Rs210 cabs. 

Pedal board is Cog Rogue One > Knightfall 66 > TC Vortex > TC Spark Boost. 

The knightfall really helps get close to that tubey full sound.  Sounds terrible played solo...  Maybe not terrible but it's not good. Sounds amazing when the band kick in.  Took quite a long time to work that out. I don't have any clean mixed in with the blend knob.  

The rogue one, I don't really use to its full capacity yet. I only really use the one channel in the band, and I've not yet found a home for the octave but I love playing around with them at home.  In the band the rogue one soloed doesn't really cut it but with the 66 still engaged it creates a full blown round fuzz sound that dominates the mix but without really over doing it.

• Like 1

On 30/05/2018 at 23:46, RandomBass said:

Why the LMB3? Well I've used it for years, always does what I need it to and is easy to use, reliable and solid. That makes it a quality pedal for me. And live that is invaluable.

There are other more expensive ones out there of course.

Agree. I don’t use individual pedals now but if I had to have just one it would be the LMB3. I used one live for years and even now I use the ‘boss limiter’ in my multi fx which is the same thing. The enhancer can also be useful used sparingly with some amps.