Why become a member? ×

Which pedal is 'irreplaceable' on your board?

Al Krow

Hah! If your 'point of order' is valid, then the Manta should be rightly disallowed and there would then be nothing I'd currently regard as truly special / irreplaceable on my board (although I'm pretty happy with everything that's on there)! Maybe that's a good reason, in itself, for me starting this thread :)

(If we include multifx then there are a couple of 'right answers' and it would pretty quickly become a dull thread! xD

Well I only have 2 pedals, 1 of which is a tuner, the other being the irreplaceable item is my Tech21 Para Driver. It`s as much a part of my sound as my Precision. I can get the sound from my Ashdown amps but as many of my gigs are with provided rigs some of those can`t get the sound I want, hence the trusty PD being irreplaceable.

• Like 1

If we are talking about which box on my board would stay, it would have to be my Line6 receiver, although its not an effect. Without that no one would hear me lol.

Seeing as ive brought 3 BDDI's over the past 15 years, im going to go with that as far as pedals go. Nothing else ive owned has managed to stay the distance, and ive been quite happy using just this one pedal when im too lazy to take more (pre-board days though).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Not really looking for generic pedal types (e.g. a tuner or compressor) - what I'm really interested in is which pedal on your board delivers that something special that few alternative pedals that are likely to come close for you, but also what it is delivering to make it special?

Buggrit, I'm going to bend the rules: Korg Pitchblack+. Yep, I know it's a tuner, but the "+" model is also an A/B switch. On the occasions when my pedals haven't made it to the venue, this has been the once I've missed the most - I can trust my guitars to keep their tuning reasonably well during a set, but most gigs really call for a 4-string and an 8, and having to swap leads around between songs is quite a discomfort in the fundament when you're trying to make a set run smoothly!

Edited by EliasMooseblaster
  • Like 1

The one pedal that I've always had on my board is a PSK SDS-2 distortion.  It's a  cheap 80s dirt pedal (made of plastic too), but it adds a great bite to the sound.

If I could have any 1 pedal back, it'd probably be the Moog Bass Murf (well, I'd probably opt for the midi murf).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandomBass said:

LMB-3

Ok I'm intrigued that your Boss LMB-3 would be your 'irreplaceable' pedal - what makes it so special for you or does it do that a quality compressor doesn't hit the mark on?

34 minutes ago, JohnR said:

The Keeley Compressor Pro will never be removed from my board. I have owned many compressors over they years and the Keeley ended my search.

Which other comps have you had that have come close and what's the Keeley doing better to pip them to the post?

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Well I only have 2 pedals, 1 of which is a tuner, the other being the irreplaceable item is my Tech21 Para Driver. It`s as much a part of my sound as my Precision. I can get the sound from my Ashdown amps but as many of my gigs are with provided rigs some of those can`t get the sound I want, hence the trusty PD being irreplaceable.

Tbf - from the few clips I've seen of you playing with your band Lozz, you have a great sound! (Please feel free to re-post a clip below reminding me just what a good bass sound you're getting). And I also know that you rate the Para Driver so highly that you had (still have?) a spare!

Well, up until a couple of weeks ago it would have been the pedal I took off, because Helix has taken over it's job.. now, the irreplaceable pedal is Helix! 

So, I'm not really allowed to answer with that ha ha.

However, Out of my two favourite pedals, the one that I will never part with as it can do so much more that it's name implies, is the Billy Sheehan Signature Drive Deluxe. Drive, EQ, Compression, Effects Loops.. yeah, really cool.

Just now, dood said:

Well, up until a couple of weeks ago it would have been the pedal I took off, because Helix has taken over it's job.. now, the irreplaceable pedal is Helix! 

So, I'm not really allowed to answer with that ha ha.

However, Out of my two favourite pedals, the one that I will never part with as it can do so much more that it's name implies, is the Billy Sheehan Signature Drive Deluxe. Drive, EQ, Compression, Effects Loops.. yeah, really cool.

Yup that was one of 'right answers' that would come up ALL the time if multifx were being allowed. But they're not :) (And you can't have multiple choices simply 'cos you have more than one board either DB ha ha)

I think you've mentioned BSS Drive Deluxe before, but had slipped from my mind, but I'm not sure I've ever seen this in use (I guess I might have done if I were a Billy Sheehan fan!) So who well known, other than your good self and Mr Sheehan, is regularly using this? If, as Mr Pedal Guru, you're rating this one pedal so highly it's definitely worth looking into further...

I could probably be talked into losing the board, so long as I keep my Tech21 Sansamp VT. I've recorded with it, made studio practice amps sound good & generally just leave it on if I'm playing. This one pedal changed my whole viewpoint on bass effects.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I could probably be talked into losing the board, so long as I keep my Tech21 Sansamp VT. I've recorded with it, made studio practice amps sound good & generally just leave it on if I'm playing. This one pedal changed my whole viewpoint on bass effects.

What's the rest of the rig you are playing it with and do you have a particular 'favourite' setting for the VT? Love to hear a clip of this in action and the same for you @dood with your BSS!

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

For my playing... I'd have to say an envelope filter.

If you ask me today, I'm saying the MXR BEF. 

Tomorrow might be the robotalk 2

Day after that my mini mu.....

Revolving doors.

Same for you Darren - be great to hear clips of these three side by side on your favourite setting for each :) 

Edited by Al Krow

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

What's the rest of the rig you are playing it with and do you have a particular 'favourite' setting for the VT?

Just a Boss Tuner, TC Electronic phaser and TC Electronic chorus - all used very sparingly. I use the suggested settings for Ampeg soundalike SVT or fliptop depending on which band & which bass. Interestingly we arrived at the fliptop setting quite by accident when recording as myself & the studio engineer were trying to find a sound - we literally stumbled upon the stock setting by total chance. 

8 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Just a Boss Tuner, TC Electronic phaser and TC Electronic chorus - all used very sparingly. I use the suggested settings for Ampeg soundalike SVT or fliptop depending on which band & which bass. Interestingly we arrived at the fliptop setting quite by accident when recording as myself & the studio engineer were trying to find a sound - we literally stumbled upon the stock setting by total chance. 

Aha - thanks. Apologies for not being clear - I meant by rig = amp + cab [+ bass, although I see you use a variety depending on the band] rather than your remaining 'replaceable'(!) :) pedals? What genre / style of music are you guys playing?

On 28/05/2018 at 21:05, dannybuoy said:

I can cheat and list two, since I have two boards! :biggrin:

Tech21 DP-3X - studio hard rock sound in a box

Mr Black FwonkBeta - funk in a box

PS I just noticed that your Aggie Agro is neither on either of your two pedal boards nor in your massive pedal clear-out! 

I think you previously mentioned that the Aggie had become your 'goto' dirt pedal? Has that now been superceded by the DP-3X and / or the American Joyo on your 'Rock board' and what do these two have that the Aggie doesn't in terms of being a great dirt pedal?

283C01AD-1DF4-4085-904C-7A3CA9E98358.thumb.jpeg.95a26cb77215648f4b316b7fe123d78a.jpeg

It's still a great pedal, there just wasn't room for it on there! It would go on the board above if I didn't have all the octave up toys on there. The Joyo on that board is purely there as a guitar amp sim for the octave up signal, although it does sound good on regular bass too!

9 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

It's still a great pedal, there just wasn't room for it on there! It would go on the board above if I didn't have all the octave up toys on there. The Joyo on that board is purely there as a guitar amp sim for the octave up signal, although it does sound good on regular bass too!

Aha! So if you had a Metro 24 rather it would be on? If I'm reading you correctly the DP-3X has taken over dirt duties, but absent that the Agro would still be your dirt of choice? (My ulterior motive for the Q is that there's an Agro in the FS, which I'm tempted to get and to A/B it with my SA Aftershock which I know you now consider to have a pants' tone, but which has a LOT of versatility...)

31 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Aha - thanks. Apologies for not being clear - I meant by rig = amp + cab [+ bass, although I see you use a variety depending on the band] rather than your remaining 'replaceable'(!) :) pedals? What genre / style of music are you guys playing?

My rig is always Ampeg portaflex (either a PF50t head or a PF500 into a PF115HE or PF410 cab) and the bass depends on the band - I range Americana through to 50s rock n roll through to a Creedence Clearwater Revival tribute through to Iggy Pop meets Tom Petty solo project I'm involved in. It's crazy but the only constant throughout, aside me, is that Sansamp pedal!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cat Burrito said:

My rig is always Ampeg portaflex (either a PF50t head or a PF500 into a PF115HE or PF410 cab) and the bass depends on the band - I range Americana through to 50s rock n roll through to a Creedence Clearwater Revival tribute through to Iggy Pop meets Tom Petty solo project I'm involved in. It's crazy but the only constant throughout, aside me, is that Sansamp pedal!

What bass are you using for your 50s rock n roll?

Just now, Al Krow said:

What bass are you using for your 50s rock n roll?

Upright bass and an Eastwood EEB-1 strung with flats. I did a dep at the weekend where I used a Fender though, just cos the main guy did. I'd love to get something garage-y looking like a Mosrite or some quirky Danelectro. Recording wise I have a Uke bass which sounds like an upright so I may use that on something when I get around to recording an EP next month.

Just now, Cat Burrito said:

Upright bass and an Eastwood EEB-1 strung with flats. I did a dep at the weekend where I used a Fender though, just cos the main guy did. I'd love to get something garage-y looking like a Mosrite or some quirky Danelectro. Recording wise I have a Uke bass which sounds like an upright so I may use that on something when I get around to recording an EP next month.

Thanks - really looking forward to your EP! Do share details when it's out! 

Not come across the Eastwood EEB-1, I'll check it out. Now I'd best stop derailing my own thread! :D

• Like 1