Why become a member? ×

Short scale opinions ?

MWH

Hi,  what's the  chances of an opinion on a short scale Gretsch semi acoustic ,  and even better if you know of a better one,  £700 max, that you would recommend,  any thoughts on the Chowney  gear. Just want something I don't always  have to plug in.

Ta.!

I am a massive Gretsch guitar fan and loved the look of the Electromatic bass range when they came out, I played one at our local PMT and hated it, it played poorly and sounded worse, PMT also had the Jack Cassidy Epiphone in store which held little or no appeal to me but playability and sound wise it knocked the Gretsch for six.

GAS for a Gretsch bass instantly cured!

On 28/05/2018 at 18:22, MWH said:

Hi,  what's the  chances of an opinion on a short scale Gretsch semi acoustic ,  and even better if you know of a better one,  £700 max, that you would recommend,  any thoughts on the Chowney  gear. Just want something I don't always  have to plug in.

Ta.!

In my experience semi acoustic basses aren't noticeably any louder than solid bodies when both are unplugged.

If you want something that has a much louder unplugged sound your best bet might be an acoustic bass.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cato said:

In my experience semi acoustic basses aren't noticeably any louder than solid bodies when both are unplugged.

If you want something that has much louder unplugged sound your best bet might be an acoustic bass.

This.

My principal bass is a vintage Hofner Verithin bass; it plays nicely unplugged, solo, but won't match up to anything more than a nylon guitar, played softly. Most hollow-bodied instruments are not really hollow, they have a centre block and hollow 'wings', that's all. The old Hofners, including the violin bass, the Verithin and the President basses, are truly hollow, but not loud at all.
Hope this helps.

I've just bought a Hofner Club bass, not with me yet. I've seen good reviews and gone for the cheapest option (Ignition) as its fully hollow, the medium priced (Contemporary) has a centre block which I don't want and the real deal expensive one is fully hollow but prohibitively expensive. I'll report back how loud it is acoustically when it turns up. 

1 hour ago, jebroad said:

Go for chowny, great quality for their price and they are great instruments

Mmm, there's one for sale on this forum, a semi-wotsit, tried the solid body with passive pup and sold it on,  prefer active electrics and use a Landing  but for what i want it for the Chowny might do nicely, darned if i know.

18 hours ago, MWH said:

Mmm, there's one for sale on this forum, a semi-wotsit, tried the solid body with passive pup and sold it on,  prefer active electrics and use a Landing  but for what i want it for the Chowny might do nicely, darned if i know.

At least with the chowny swb, if its an active it comes to their office passive and they wire in an emg 2 band eq.

Im sure if you ask stephen you can get an active

Not had a Gretsch bass, but did give in to my GAS for one of their Electromatic hollow bodies a few years ago.  Have to agree with Roger, it looked great bit felt and played like a bargain basement version of the original.  It was certainly playable, and I persisted for a few months, but never loved it, and sold it on.

Yes, I take your point, but I've had one of these and didn't get  on with it, interestingly  nobody  seems to have a good word for the short scale  Gretsch,  but thanks.