Why become a member? ×

Dual-Coil 51 Precision Pickup

discreet

Dual-Coil 51 Precision Pickup

Ordered one of these from Jess Loureiro. I really like the big bottom end and full-range, fast-attack sound you get from a good 51-style P pickup, but there are times when I'd prefer the enhanced low-mid push and high-mid snap you get from the 57-type split P pickup.

I don't want to carry two basses, so I'm hoping the new pickup will give me those enhanced mids, BUT with the fast attack you get from having one pole piece per string. Suh-weet! My plan is to install a toggle switch on the control plate so I can switch between series and parallel, i.e. 57-type and 51-type sounds.

Has anyone done this, and what was the outcome..?

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Is it the same size as the Herrick or did it need help ?

Don't know, it hasnt arrived yet! I have the new pickup on order along with a toggle switch and a Fender Deluxe 4 saddle bridge (the one with part-threaded saddles). It's a 3-screw mounting and has through/top stringing options so should be a drop-in.

I like the look of the current 2-saddle bridge but in practise it's a pain in the bum regarding action and intonation adjustment. Going for practicality over 'authenticity'. ;)

I have a new graphtec Tusq nut which should also improve the overall playing experience...

Edit: So I'll have a Herrick neo 51 Tele pup and a SQ VM two saddle through body bridge up for sale soon...

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Delberthot said:

When I had my Warmoth '54 Precision made I was really into Sting's tone at the time. He uses a Seymour Duncan 51P bass Stack pickup. I managed to find one on Ebay and it was indeed a mighty sounding pickup.

Didn't know about that one, thanks. I note these stacked or dual coil pups are sold mainly as a solution to 60Hz hum, not much is made of the fact that you can more or less replicate a 57 type split pickup, which to me is more important.

I've not tried what you're suggesting but I'm intrigued by the idea. I've yet to find a dual coil pickup that genuinely has the same clear, crisp and open tone of a single coil but would be very interested to hear what the Jess Loureiro sounds like when you get it hooked up with the switching. A short demo would be great if you can.

1 hour ago, ikay said:

I've not tried what you're suggesting but I'm intrigued by the idea. I've yet to find a dual coil pickup that genuinely has the same clear, crisp and open tone of a single coil but would be very interested to hear what the Jess Loureiro sounds like when you get it hooked up with the switching. A short demo would be great if you can.

I'll certainly post some A/B examples of series and parallel switching. When I can get the thing installed. Which means it has to be delivered, first! :D

• 9 months later...