Why become a member? ×

Closet head to an Ampeg b100r?

Westenra

Apart from the Ampeg Micro VR or PF350 which are surely worth a look simply because they are Ampeg, I thought the Fender Rumble V3 with the vintage switch pushed in, or the Aguilar Tonehammer with the drive control nudged up reminded me of the warm tones I used to get from my old Ampeg B200R.

Edited by dannybuoy

On 26/05/2018 at 11:58, BassBod said:

I’d combine the enhancer with a FET preamp, for a bit of clean boost.  I seem to remember the first part of the enhancer knob’s travel gives the valve a bit more gain..and the eq kicks in after around 9 o’clock.  

I like your thinking, and maybe add the SWR bass intensifier circuit as well, albeit in a large enclosure 😎

Edited by JPJ

Is a 'closet head' someone who likes to conceal their sexual proclivities? I'm sorry, but it had to be said. :|

Anyway, another vote here for the Rumble. My V3 Combo makes a nice warm thumpy, punchy noise and I'm assuming the V3 head does, too.

11 hours ago, discreet said:

Is a 'closet head' someone who likes to conceal their sexual proclivities? I'm sorry, but it had to be said. :|

Anyway, another vote here for the Rumble. My V3 Combo makes a nice warm thumpy, punchy noise and I'm assuming the V3 head does, too.

I guess I'll give the Rumble head a go, really liked the combo but had to sell it due to space sadly. 

Cheers mateys

9 hours ago, Westenra said:

I guess I'll give the Rumble head a go, really liked the combo but had to sell it due to space sadly. 

Cheers mateys

+1 For the Fender Rumble v3 head with either a BF One10 or Two10 if space allows.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Westenra said:

Ha already got a BF One10 so it looks like I'm on the right track!

Let us know how you get on with achieving your goal! 

And of course you can get the Fender head and One10 in a reasonable size wardrobe 😂

Edited by JohnDaBass
Added information

Own both a B100r (had 2 till a few weeks ago) and Micro VR rig.

They are pretty similar in places but the Micro is more SVT than B-15/B100r.

Having owned the B200r as well, that sounded more modern also (most likely the tube pre). The pf350 (also had one till recently - swapped out for the pf800) is essentially the same amp as the Micro VR.

The closest I have come to replicating the B100r using another amp has been via a Sansamp VT Bass Deluxe pedal.

Have gotten 99.9% there in a few instances. I actually did this experiment a couple of months ago when a friend brought his old Fender Rumble 100 (1st gen) round. We A/B'd with one of the B100r's and then dialed in the exact same voicing via the pedal. Was almost perfect!

I adore the B100r - I genuinely think it is one of the best things Ampeg have ever done. I would love to get my hands on a B15r from the same series but they are as hard to get as an original B15

On 5/30/2018 at 00:05, basshead56 said:

The closest I have come to replicating the B100r using another amp has been via a Sansamp VT Bass Deluxe pedal.

I was thinking along these lines...I use the Behringer equivalent to make my TE Elf more "tubey".