Why become a member? ×

Rick Advice

kopite18times

Hi.

Recently got myself a Rick. I've never used a pick and don't intend to start now. I was struggling to find where to put my fingers. Felt uncomfortable at the bridge and the neck.

So today I have taken off the pick up guard to reveal razor sharp edges on the bass plate. I am trying to play it waiting to chop my finger off.

Are there any Rick players that can advise before I throw a 2.5k bass at the wall?

Thanks, Lee

For what it's worth, you're nowhere near the first person to encounter this problem!

There used to be a rather nifty aftermarket perspex surround you could fit which pretty much did away with the problem - have a Google.

Ive got a cs64 which has a slightly different treble pickup, similar to the original horseshoe treble pickup, and I have had the same problems you have.

I have tried one of these,. http://www.rickysounds.co.uk/Bezels.html with not too much success, and one of these Zero-Mod 4003 Thumb Rest , https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/221890260822?chn=ps&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=aud-295856144804%3Apla-142405565106&abcId=&adtype=pla&merchantid=115189455&poi=&googleloc=9045772&device=c&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0

In the end I put the cover back on the treble pickup [which I had removed with some difficulty], and i found a position which was reasonable comfortable.

Good luck with the hunt, and if you find a miracle cure please let me know.

Still sounds great so its worth persevering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

Stick a bezel in it.  When I had mine it was the first thing I did.  There's a variety of options to accommodate different playing styles.

+1 I went for the raised thumb rest one, although I now wish I’d gone for the recessed version. I’ve also removed the mute thumb screws (and the plate underneath, reattaching the earth strap elsewhere) as they occasionally dug in my hand.

I play both with pick & fingers, and fitted a Zero-Mod thumb rest a while ago to my 4003. It's long, so you can position further back on it, if you wish. I know it curves to fit the pickguard but you can rest your thumb at the back. 

That rickysounds link for the bezel looks really good. 

Although I did take the cover off the bridge pickup on my old 4003, I kept it on for my No.1 Faker.

I find resting my thumb on the neck pickup works best for me. The 'zero mod' rest is too far away from the strings for my liking, where the top of the pickup is just right. Obviously, it has to be close to the strings, but I'm fine with that.

As for playing one, you have to 'unlearn' how you play for other bass types, and re-adjust your technique for the Ric. It is worth spending the time & effort.

It's kind of like getting on a Harley after riding sporty motorcycles. The technique is the same, you just have to adjust it to suit each.

• 2 weeks later...

Erm... where did we land on this... Ultimate rock bass has got to deliver for the OP... Spend half my life (literally) listening to Chris Squire and Geddy making this sound awesome... despite all the flaws.

P.S. may have to bi-amp and crunch the stinky poo out of the high end...

• 2 weeks later...

I took the whole assembly off and got a custom surround made and put a Gibson Grabber pickup on it! I’ve also got a surround with a Ric 3001 pickup in it but the Grabber gives me more variety sound wise. 

FC6876A1-D7C5-4065-B783-7BC4E5F47374.jpeg

Really! You put a Gibson Grabber pick-up in a Rick!? Erm OK... I haven't heard it so can't comment on the sound but it appears to be an unusual approach... There are lots of resources on the Net for de-crapifying your RIck whilst enhancing the sacred Rick-o-Tone clank.

Please tell me you're not going to set a Hofner neck in there too to complete your Frankenrickengibbon?

20 hours ago, visog said:

Really! You put a Gibson Grabber pick-up in a Rick!? Erm OK... I haven't heard it so can't comment on the sound but it appears to be an unusual approach... There are lots of resources on the Net for de-crapifying your RIck whilst enhancing the sacred Rick-o-Tone clank.

Please tell me you're not going to set a Hofner neck in there too to complete your Frankenrickengibbon?

Yes really, it works well, I own two other Rics but older and all stock this one gets played and gigged the most. You get some clank, it’s comfortable to play however you can get the P bass on steroids tone of the Grabber too. Funnily enough I have an old Hofner 500/1 knocking, around now where did I put my hacksaw.....😉