Why become a member? ×

Enjoyed learning Greenday, what next?

Phil_T

I started playing around August last year so I'm still fairly rubbish but I've really enjoyed learning Mike Dirnt's stuff over the last couple of months but I'm left wondering what to move onto next. I've found that a lot of the Greenday songs were pitched just about right for my ability in that they were challenging but not completely out of reach, so far I've done the most of the usual suspect - Basket Case, Longview, When I come around, Sassafrass Roots, Welcome to Paradise and Jesus of Suburbia.

I'm looking for suggestions of other bands I could look at that have interesting bass lines in a pop/punk/rock style that have good tabs on the net and, if possible, have guitar hero type master tracks available so I can listen to the isolated bass and do a proper bassless playalong. I like using a pick but don't mind finger style.

I've also done some REM stuff that was nice and I'm thinking I'll maybe have a look Radiohead.

Edited by Phil_T

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

yeah, I might give some RHCP a go - none of that slap business for me though (mainy cos I can't do it). I've gone in a slightly different direction in the last few weeks and started learning 'aint no mountain high enough' which has a great baseline, not massively technical but it weaves about all over the place so remembering it is tricky.

Edited by Phil_T

46 minutes ago, No. 8 Wire said:

Rancid.  Album: and out come the wolves. Some very fine Matt Freeman basslines.

Yeah, Rancid is definately on my list of stuff to have a go at, along with 'The Decline' by NOFX - that's ones a bit of sod though so I need to get a bit better before tackling it