Why become a member? ×

Prince's bass (or not, probably)

Fishman

It’s not unknown for luthiers to send artists instruments on spec in the hope of striking up an association. In this case Prince tragically died before things really got going. However Gus guitars are so glamorous and futuristic they are a natural for Prince’s style. I’m sure Prince would have used it for photo shoots at the very least.

1 hour ago, cytania said:

It’s not unknown for luthiers to send artists instruments on spec in the hope of striking up an association. In this case Prince tragically died before things really got going. However Gus guitars are so glamorous and futuristic they are a natural for Prince’s style. I’m sure Prince would have used it for photo shoots at the very least.

I seem to remember reading or hearing that he was was using the Gus skinny string they sent him.

I think there may be photographs of him with the guitar

Edited by Cato

Simon Farmer from GUS Guitars (he lives 5 miles up the road from me and has looked after my guitars and basses for 20 years) finally managed to get a purple special GUS G1 guitar to Prince (a long story over several years about missed meetings/opportunities etc etc) and Prince used it on his very last appearance (along with a new purple piano). It was a gift to Prince from Simon but Prince then asked Simon to build him the bass. Unfortunately Prince never got to see it (I have, as well as having held the purple guitar, and both were absolutely fabulous). Another famous artist (I don't know if the information is in the public realm yet, so I wont say who) now owns both guitar and bass.

Edited by 6feet7

4 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Prince ordered & owned a Gus guitar. He was so impressed with it, he ordered a matching bass. Unfortunately, he never got to try it, as it was only finished just before he died.

Prince didn't actually order the GUS G1 guitar. Simon had made it for him a few years before (he knew someone in Prince's entourage and between them they tried to get it to Prince when he was last over here touring. It didn't happen). But, word over the internet reached Prince about a Purple Special GUS G1 guitar so he asked for it to be sent over (and there is a picture of Prince holding it at his last ever performance). He liked it so much he then ordered the bass.

2 hours ago, 6feet7 said:

Prince didn't actually order the GUS G1 guitar. Simon had made it for him a few years before (he knew someone in Prince's entourage and between them they tried to get it to Prince when he was last over here touring. It didn't happen). But, word over the internet reached Prince about a Purple Special GUS G1 guitar so he asked for it to be sent over (and there is a picture of Prince holding it at his last ever performance). He liked it so much he then ordered the bass.

All 100% this! 

I too have had some various work carried out by Simon, and saw the guitar in the flesh just before he sent it, so I also was filled in on the back story. 

I couldn't believe it when Prince died....very sad, and also felt for Simon after all his hard work...at least he finally got the instrument.