Why become a member? ×

Who uses a Compresor ?

Kevin Dean

11 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Lots of threads on here about compressors so worth a search, I use a Spectracomp, I play finger style in a hard rock/ indie/ punk covers band.

yes I read a lot of them , I'm just interested to know what proportion of bassists use them .

I play finger style (mostly) in a mix of rock, metal, pop covers and (only sometimes), Jazz.

I don't use a specific compressor as most of the time I play with overdrive on (pedal or amp), and that compresses the signal enough for me.

• Like 1

I play whatever style comes my way - finger style only 

i use a p bass and a zoom b2.1 set to ampeg svt, with full fat cab flavouring. The comp is set to fairly subtle -  I tried turning it off and the whole thing didn’t sound quite as smooth, throbby, focused so I leave it on. Never heard a bad word yet about my sound **

** I’m probably deaf ...

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, I use one all the time and consider it an essential part of my sound. My current band plays a mixture of everything from 60's to contemporary rock and pop. I mostly play with fingers and occasionally a spectrum. 

• Like 1

I use a compressor on both my pedal boards. On the 'posh' board I have a Spectracomp with  a VT Bass DI Deluxe & Thumpinator. On my 'small' board I use the compressor in my Zoom MS-60 B along with HPF patch and my VT Bass DI.

• Like 1

Go on then I can’t resist too long.

All styles, never slap, always pick, occasional fingers.

Taking dirt/overdrive etc pedals aside or tube amps, as anyone who uses these compresses their signal as pointed out earlier (so nay sayers have very little wriggle room) 

Total of 3 compressors

Cali76G on one board paired with a Two Notes

CaliCB on another board paired with a HartkeVXL and some other jumbo jumbo

These 2 boards can be used separately or cascaded and compression adapted accordingly (first into the second, compression turned way down on the Cali76G and used more as a signal driver withbteh germanium transistor)

3rd compressor in the new Tech21 DP3X pedal, and I may well combine it with any or all of the above, or use standalone.

This appears to be thebkeast compressed reply

Oh and yes. TC’s multiband offerings have been my go to to for many, many years now: Spectracomp, Hypergravity, Nova Dynamics, C300, Triple C(s), I’ve owned (or still own). I parallel compress with three bands engaged.

More recently I’ve acquired the Line 6 Helix which I am tweaking now to obtain similar results. Indeed it has done two gigs on it’s own now without any additional pedals. The three band compressor on board works well with bass.

• Like 1

Not for me, but as I use a fair bit of gain on my Sansamp Para Driver I reckon I`m getting some compression via that. I did try a compressor with my current set-up and even on the lowest of the low settings it killed the sound and dynamics, which is why I suspect said Para Driver is already lending a hand here.

• Like 1

I may be wrong (pick player only) but I suspect finger players with no gain or especially slap players do find a use for them, pick players don't tend to suffer the same spikes in volume when playing 

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

@Osiris is the the soft key or the hard key version you play with?

48K with rubber keys, FTW  :D

42 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Not for me, but as I use a fair bit of gain on my Sansamp Para Driver I reckon I`m getting some compression via that. I did try a compressor with my current set-up and even on the lowest of the low settings it killed the sound and dynamics, which is why I suspect said Para Driver is already lending a hand here.

I love the SanSamp sound but always found them to be way too compressed for my tastes so I could never make them work for me, unfortunately. As you say @Lozz196, the pedal is already adding a load of squash to the sound so adding yet more via another pedal is going to hammer the life out of your dynamics. 

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

I may be wrong (pick player only) but I suspect finger players with no gain or especially slap players do find a use for them, pick players don't tend to suffer the same spikes in volume when playing 

I play mainly pick & I'm  finding it's helping keeping a tight balanced sound across the fret board .

4 minutes ago, Kevin Dean said:

Can I ?   a 18" one or 18ft ? :)

18 feet, definitely.

Then we can give it to @Al Krow so that he can punt himself down the river away from any thread that mentions the dreaded C word *.

* Compressor - not the other one  xD

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Kevin Dean said:

yes I read a lot of them , I'm just interested to know what proportion of bassists use them .

Id say all the ones that post in the others threads :-)

Unless you are actually going to count the posts why not make a poll, otherwise this will just be yet another 1 of dozens of Comp threads.

Yes, i use one, no i dont need to.

22 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Id say all the ones that post in the others threads :-)

Unless you are actually going to count the posts why not make a poll, otherwise this will just be yet another 1 of dozens of Comp threads.

Yes, i use one, no i dont need to.

I've had a quick look & I have no idea how to make a poll  on here ?