Why become a member? ×

Semi hollow body bass - suggestions please!

Al Krow

4 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I'd say that the only real reason for buying a very different bass like the Casady is to have access to some different sounds. If you are 100% happy with the sound you get from your current basses, then you need to find another excuse to add to your collection!

1) Not sure that rock growl is really the "woody tone" that I should be going for with a 50s / 60s covers band? It's just perfect for some (but definitely not all) of the stuff in the more modern covers band I'm in. And it would be great to have a bass that "looks the part" with a 50s / 60s outfit, too, methinks.

2) Your statement above is tantamount to BC heresy. Be VERY VERY careful about letting folk know that you even think such things! xD

Edited by Al Krow

Just now, Al Krow said:

1) Not sure that rock growl is really the "woody tone" that I should be going for with a 50s / 60s covers band? It's just perfect for my some (but definitely not all) the stuff in the more modern covers band I'm in. And it would be great to have a bass that "looks the part" with a 50s / 60s outfit.

2) Your statement above is tantamount to BC heresy. Be VERY VERY careful about letting folk know that you even think such things! xD

My 'logic' for wanting another JCB is that it would suit the Grateful Dead tribute band I play in, one of the guitarists saw a pic of me with it (probably the one I posted here this morning) and said I should play that with the band...

In answer to point two, you (we) just need to be a little more creative in our thinking. So the only sound you like from the JCB is a sound you already have...OK, but suppose something happens to the Ibanez? Just when you need that sound...you turn to the trusty JCB, crank the switch to 500, and there you go. Or perhaps the Ibby's colour doesn't go with today's socks...a black or gold JCB would go with anything...I currently have 4 Fender Precisions, because you never know!!!

10 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

My 'logic' for wanting another JCB is that it would suit the Grateful Dead tribute band I play in, one of the guitarists saw a pic of me with it (probably the one I posted here this morning) and said I should play that with the band...

In answer to point two, you (we) just need to be a little more creative in our thinking. So the only sound you like from the JCB is a sound you already have...OK, but suppose something happens to the Ibanez? Just when you need that sound...you turn to the trusty JCB, crank the switch to 500, and there you go. Or perhaps the Ibby's colour doesn't go with today's socks...a black or gold JCB would go with anything...I currently have 4 Fender Precisions, because you never know!!!

I LIKE your thinking! Do you work for Saatchi & Saatchi perchance?

But FOUR Fender Ps, hmmm...now that is definitely someone who has mastered the art of "creative thinking" aka kidding himself? xD

Right, 'nuff enjoyable banter! Some very kind BC'er has seen this thread and is bringing up his Chowny Chb-2 up from the south coast (as he was coming up to London anyway), which he's currently not using for me to try out; so I'd best head out to meet him. Must remember to check what colour socks I'm wearing to avoid a possible clash with the bass...

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Chowny, if they aren't all short scale, then I could well be interested once I've sold a couple of Precisions!

(sock report: blue/yellow/grey stripes on right foot, black & 2 shades of green strips on the left. Couldn't find any sunburst socks to go with the Jazz bass I am paying just now) :)

• Haha 1

So I've got the Chowny chb-2 on a very generous 3 week loan from @Mickeyboro and my first impressions are that it feels much more substantial than the JC as it's a semi hollow rather than a fully hollow bass. That goes with the territory of being a heavier bass, but whilst my shoulders and back may not thank me, I do like the sensation of something more substantial / robust! 

Looking forward to giving this a proper play over the next couple of weeks and will gladly report back my (hopefully positive) impressions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

So I've got the Chowny chb-2 on a very generous 3 week loan from @Mickeyboro and my first impressions are that it feels much more substantial than the JC as it's a semi hollow rather than a fully hollow bass. That goes with the territory of being a heavier bass, but whilst my shoulders and back may not thank me, I do like the sensation of something more substantial / robust! 

Looking forward to giving this a proper play over the next couple of weeks and will gladly report back my (hopefully positive) impressions.

The lack of physical substance is one of the main things I like about the JC.  I had a Fender Starcaster a while back.  What a heavy wee short scale that was - the centre block was maybe a concrete block ;) I also had a Guild Starfire a long time ago, I don't remember it being so bad.  I've never worried about the physical integrity of the JC, it's just a bit weird when you first start playing it - particularly when one is used to 12lb+ slabs of Gibson maple ;)

• Like 1

Chowny CHB-2 Review

The Chowny CHB-2 is semi-hollow and therefore significantly heavier than the fully hollow Epiphone Jack Casady (‘JC’), but has a corresponding more ‘solid’ feel to it. The chb-2 has two pups rather than one on the JC and a toggle switch to select which pup / combination of both and individual volume and tone controls for each pup. As has been noted earlier the JC is more prone to feedback and that had been a key reason for this Chowny’s current owner to swap from his previous JC to the Chowny.

The closest in price point bass in my existing herd to the CHB-2 is my Yammy BB1025 and I A/B’d these two basses. The Chowny is a handsome bass and arguably the better looking of the two, although appearance is always going to be subjective / personal.

What struck me immediately when I ‘wore’ the CHB -2 was firstly that the body and neck are well balanced and there is no noticeable “neck dive” which contrasts favourably with the Yammy and which, being a 5 string, has a relatively heavier neck and a greater neck : body weight ratio.

The other thing that was immediately apparent was that the low-end notes at the head end of the fretboard felt considerably further away and it turns out that is in fact the case. I guess that is something I hadn’t been expecting; if anything, the opposite after Chowny had said their bass was a 33” scale. Both basses are, in fact, 34” scale (from nut to bridge piece - I measured to double check) – Chowny please note this i.e. your website is correct but your earlier assertion on this thread that CHB -2 has a 33” scale isn’t correct, unless this was an earlier model and you have since changed the neck length?

image.png.ceb40bc2f6dd3a501c26803206722c05.png

However, as can be seen from the pic (btw - the carpet patches are all rectangles, so you can see how the fretboards align),  the Yammy fretboard is attached closer into the body than the Chowny. This means that the ‘dusty end’ (as Dood describes it!) i.e. the higher note ranges of the fretboard are easily accessible on the Chowny (and in fact also on the Yammy by virtue of the cut away body design), however the head end of the Chowny fretboard is further away – you can see that the zero fret on the Yammy is aligned with approx. 2.75 frets in on the Chowny. This would take a little getting used to / felt less comfortable for me.

How much I like the pups and their tone is always going to play a very important part in any decision I take to go for a particular bass. The quality of the pups on the BB are, IMO, a definite step up from those on the chb, but I guess you’d kinda expect that on a bass that was retailing for £810 before being discontinued (and prior to the ‘end of line’ deals, which I was fortunate to benefit from) versus circa £500 for the Chowny? The ‘P-Bass’ style pups on the Yammy and the JC’s pup P-Bass positioning both give a more classic P-Bass ‘thud’ which is also a very 50s / 60s sound and I personally prefer the tone from both my Yammy (and also the JC) over the Chowny. Ultimately this and the fretboard positioning were the key deciding factors for me in preferring my Yammy over the Chowny.  If I was keeping the Chowny, I’d want to lower the bridge pup a little – it felt raised too high / uncomfortably close to the strings, but that’s a relatively minor point and should be easily adjustable.

image.png.a9a2843f682b5e2835590f5b49b4eb64.png

Conclusion: I guess another lesson for me that the grass isn’t always greener and that I already have an excellent bass which should work really well for 50s / 60s music in my herd! It perhaps doesn’t quite look as much the part but hey, on reflection who was I kidding that anyone’s going to be looking at the aged bassist in my covers band anyway when they have the rest of the band to entertain them!

Edited by Al Krow

The reason that neck extends so much further it is largely due to the bridge position. On the other hand this makes palm muting easier which is something to consider if it's a technique you might use!

I don't know what other basses you've tried Al, but a simple Fender P with flats is a wonderful thing. Less low end and more 'woody' than the BB.

I was thinking about what that term 'woody' actually means, and to me it means that the sound coming out of the bass is similar to the natural unplugged acoustic tone of the bass. It makes sense to me that this is best achieved with a single pickup, to avoid the scoop and interaction you get from combining pickups, placed at the same position where your fingers pluck the strings. In other words, a P Bass (or JC)!

9 minutes ago, Chownybass said:

The 2017 CHB-2 (which you've got there is 34") and the 2018 CHB-2 (coming out in 4 weeks) is 33" 

So we're both right. :)

Interesting reading your thoughts on the bass. The conclusion seems to be that you like it, but it might not be for you? 

- Stephen

Thanks Stephen. Aha - that scale length point now makes sense!

I think that is a very fair summary of my thoughts on the bass. And I also love the fact that you are a 'local' UK bass maker and I wish you guys every success!

I'd be interested to know why the scale length has been shortened, having played 34" scale for the last 45 years, I'm not sure that even only a slightly shorter scale would fit so naturally under my fingers now.

I really rate my Hofner 500/8 Verythin, which is the 34" scaled version of the Hofner 500/7 Verithin. I heard they've just been discontinued but there are a few floating around still. It's classic whilst looking a bit different from the other long scale hollowbody basses. 

HofRig.thumb.jpg.e55d4818eec97b814c5f4d3b9a1808d0.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I'd be interested to know why the scale length has been shortened, having played 34" scale for the last 45 years, I'm not sure that even only a slightly shorter scale would fit so naturally under my fingers now.

I explain it earlier in the thread. Read back up. And you really don’t notice the change in scale after a minute or two. 

5 minutes ago, Chownybass said:

I explain it earlier in the thread. Read back up. And you really don’t notice the change in scale after a minute or two. 

So you did, I will have to nip up to Leamington Spa once they're available and have play on one.

Might I mention, chaps, that I am going to make the Chowny I lent Al ‘available for transfer’. Lovely as it is, my team have just made it into the Premiership and I need to buy a season ticket!

It will be in London until it is returned to me, so any capital-based Basschatter who fancies trying it out (I live in Bournemouth) please shout. 

M

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Might I mention, chaps, that I am going to make the Chowny I lent Al ‘available for transfer’. Lovely as it is, my team have just made it into the Premiership and I need to buy a season ticket!

It will be in London until it is returned to me, so any capital-based Basschatter who fancies trying it out (I live in Bournemouth) please shout. 

M

Congrats on Fulham's promotion Mick. (They clearly have a better goalie than some!)

And a huge thanks also for the very generous loan - it's now safely back in its case!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/05/2018 at 14:47, EssentialTension said:

I have been led to believe, although I don't know for sure, that Peerless make most of a Duesenberg in Korea and then the electrics etc are added in Germany for a German price. The Retromatic is the Peerless version of a Duesenberg.

Peerless made the Jack Casady and still do a Peerless version called the Bassmaster ...

4598963660.swf

That's lovely.

My 2007 JC is Peerless-made according to the serial number. The Peerless own-brand one looks like it has a shorter headstock and smaller tuners, so might even help tackle the neck dive a bit.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2018 at 17:30, Al Krow said:

I'm in a 50s / 60s covers band and looking for something that looks the part (and is an electric rather than a upright DB) but is also an excellent bass to play. I'll be combining with a good set of flats to get that 'woody' 50s / 60s tone.

What are you guys playing that you would be able to highly recommend?

Please feel free to upload both pics of your basses and clips of you playing it with your bands. My budget is in the £750 to £1,500 range but not set in stone - if I can get something that fits the bill second hand for less that'll be great but equally if I need to go a little higher at the top end I'll definitely be willing to consider. I'm very much hoping that this bass will be a keeper.

If I can stick to a 34" (rather than 32") scale that would be preferable but I am, however, flexible on either 4 or 5 strings.

Look forward to hearing your suggestions - thanks in advance!

I don't know how I missed this thread.

As you will have doubtless discovered by now there are very few semi-acoustic 34" scale basses, and TBH if you are after a proper vintage vibe both in sound and feel then you should be looking at a 30" or 32" scale bass.

I have a Warwick Starbass which certainly fits the 34" criterion and IMO is an excellent bass, but only if you get a proper Warwick and not the Rockbass version as they are 32".

• Thanks 1

On 24/05/2018 at 11:30, Al Krow said:

I'm in a 50s / 60s covers band and looking for something that looks the part (and is an electric rather than a upright DB) but is also an excellent bass to play. I'll be combining with a good set of flats to get that 'woody' 50s / 60s tone.

What are you guys playing that you would be able to highly recommend?

Please feel free to upload both pics of your basses and clips of you playing it with your bands. My budget is in the £750 to £1,500 range but not set in stone - if I can get something that fits the bill second hand for less that'll be great but equally if I need to go a little higher at the top end I'll definitely be willing to consider. I'm very much hoping that this bass will be a keeper.

If I can stick to a 34" (rather than 32") scale that would be preferable but I am, however, flexible on either 4 or 5 strings.

Look forward to hearing your suggestions - thanks in advance!

Any of the  decent  brand single or double cutaway semi- hollows or hollows will fit the period. You should invest in a period strap as well.

Blue

IMG_20170630_215159.jpg

IMG_20161009_144428.jpg

IMG_20161005_222121359.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Yes.  Most of the pics don't do the colour justice - look at the last one, that's a lot more like the real thing.  (Not that I'd mind a pink one, personally, but the seller's not helping their own cause.)