Why become a member? ×

Would you go to see your band ?

jazzmanb

I've been involved in writing in most of the originals bands I've been in, and I've always consciously tried to make music I'd want to listen to, or go & see myself - so clearly, yes.

I don't think I'd feel the same about covers - I've only played in one covers band, at the time me & the guitarist did that to finance our originals band. What's interesing is that he's just formed a new covers band & sadly I have no interest at all in going to see them!

I would, we aren’t original in any way but are a group of mates who always have a laugh. Our gigs are energetic and we have a great time every time. But I am happy to go to lots of ‘pub band’ gigs as I live the combination of love music and a pint.

Edited by T-Bay

42 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

I love the combination of love music and a pint.

I know what you mean, a decent pint and a decent band within cycling distance is more appealing to me than a big venue with crap lager and £25 to go in, wouldn't do for us all to be the same would it?

• Like 1

A very good question but yes, I would go to see our band.  Currently Indie/rock covers but soon to be looking to broaden the range a little.  Both with this and previous bands, I’ve often thought that I’d like to be sat having a beer on the other side of the fence.

11 hours ago, jazzmanb said:

... would i pop out to see the band  if i wasn't in them ? 

I'm not in a band, although recently had thoughts about starting one, but surely this should be the acid test for any band looking to go out - whether they are a covers band or original?  If you wouldn't go and see you or not enjoy the set, why would you think anyone else would?

• Like 1

I probably wouldnt. One classic rock covers band is pretty much like the other.

Most of the stuff we play is also played by other bands on the local circuit in West London.

On the other hand, we do some stuff that other bands dont do. (Yet) xD

I do think it’s always worth seeing the quality of the bands that you’re competing against.  Although bands may be playing the same material, ultimately the landlord/landlady may decide that other bands do it better

Edited by Deedee

3 hours ago, Hobbayne said:

I probably wouldnt. One classic rock covers band is pretty much like the other.

Not in Milwaukee. There are to types of cover bands here.

1. Very professional cover bands that put a ton of work into their shows and do a fantastic job with covers.

2. Cover bands that don't put much work into their show that aren't worth going to see.

Blue

18 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

yes, I go and see us, because we play the songs I like (and the rest of the band do fortunately), must admit though I've got a really low threshold on originals bands, may not be popular with some on here but I soon get bored if I don't know the songs

+ 2 here as a rule if it's any genre other than funk , not that I see many bands playing this. If i do hear a band playing funk stuff i don't now but they swing with a heavy groove then I'm happy. If it's rock of any sort then they'd have to be mostly covers

13 hours ago, Ashweb said:

I'm not in a band, although recently had thoughts about starting one, but surely this should be the acid test for any band looking to go out - whether they are a covers band or original?  If you wouldn't go and see you or not enjoy the set, why would you think anyone else would?

There's a difference between being a band no one wants to watch and being a band that plenty go to watch but its not your cup of tea.The band are a great set of lads,we do the songs well,we go down well,we get paid,i'm out playing ,all positives.Would i go to see the band with out all that ? No,just not my thing

qualifying what I said about rather seeing bands do covers than originals, they've gotta be more imaginative / less predictable in their choice of songs. Problem for me is, over many years most of the bands I've seen gigging in pubs have pretty conservative and overly familiar setlists. 

I would have to say probably not. My band is pretty good but I am incredibly picky and if I was watching us I would tear us apart musically for not being as good as a top notch professional band, even though it would be a fairly unfair comparison.

16 hours ago, NJE said:

I would have to say probably not. My band is pretty good but I am incredibly picky and if I was watching us I would tear us apart musically for not being as good as a top notch professional band, even though it would be a fairly unfair comparison.

I get that totally , I think I'd be similar , while I might not seek the band out , I would certainly stay a while if we were on in a pub I walked into. 

I think our singer carries a lot of it he has lovely tone and tune , we effectively support him , but FFS don't tell him :D