Why become a member? ×

Would you go to see your band ?

jazzmanb

I love playing covers in my pub band,we're good at it and we get a regularly good crowd who like to see us but would i pop out to see the band  if i wasn't in them ? No

Never really been one for cover bands in pubs ,i'd travel 200miles  on a tuesday night  to see an original band i like but the cover thing has never really been my thing

Tried to do the whole ,write songs get a deal thing back in the day and like many it was a nearly.The only way to get out after that if you enjoy gigging is to do covers i suppose .

I'm not currently in a covers band (despite having spent the last 18 months trying to form one and get it off the ground!), and although I don't have much time for going to other band's gigs - yes, I would go to see us. If we ever get gigging that is...

I`m currently in an originals band and the answer is yes, I would go to see "us" if I weren`t in the band. We`re playing music that I love, on a scene I love (but that I wasn`t aware of until we started the band I should add).

Up until this band I used to go and see local covers bands regularly, as I just love music, but I do so much with my current band I hardly ever have the time to go out and see a band locally, on those weekends when I`m not gigging the feet are up storing energy for the next batch.

• Like 2

I might go to a gig to check out a covers band, professional interest you know. We should always be aware of the competition. I'll also see bands where I know the guys, to say hi and show my face, but I don't go to gigs that often.

I depped out the cover band once and my gig got cancelled. I'm afraid I spent the night at home.

Yes, in fact I used to, before I joined!

I’d seen them a few times in various pubs around town (they were a quartet then and had a different name) and liked what they did. When I heard their bass player was quitting I applied.

We’re much better now than they were then, and that’s not me saying that because I’m in the band now. The sound is tighter, punchier (we’re now a trio), the set list is much more appealing to a Saturday night crowd (which I will take a lot of the credit for), and we have a lot more confidence and stage presence than before I joined.

We’ve built a good local following, and I think if I were a punter I’d be looking out to see where we were playing next.

2 hours ago, jazzmanb said:

I love playing covers in my pub band,we're good at it and we get a regularly good crowd who like to see us but would i pop out to see the band  if i wasn't in them ? No

Never really been one for cover bands in pubs ,i'd travel 200miles  on a tuesday night  to see an original band i like but the cover thing has never really been my thing

Tried to do the whole ,write songs get a deal thing back in the day and like many it was a nearly.The only way to get out after that if you enjoy gigging is to do covers i suppose .

I'm not in a covers band... I'd go see my band, yes... but if it were a covers band I would not travel much to try.

I've been in bands I would not go to see... in fact I've been in bands I have regretted being onstage with :D

11 minutes ago, DaveAlex_ZAR said:

Yup, and actually am, since I left SA they had to replace me. Going back for a holiday soon, and hope to see them in action with the new bassist.

I'd pop to see them on a catch up basis but if i saw the band advertised and i didn't know them i wouldn't go

Yes. I was planning to go and see my ex-band (indie-pop originals) play their first proper gig after I left, but they split up before it happened. (I did want to support them, and to hear what the music sounded like in a venue with a decent sound system, but tbh I also wanted to see if the new bass player was using any of my basslines!)

Current (blues) band is mostly playing cheerful relaxed Sunday afternoon pub gigs - I'd be more than happy sitting in a garden with a good beer listening to us, except that I'd be wishing it was me playing bass :-)

I've not been in a band for a few years now but in my 20s and 30s I was in a couple of dozen. Would I have paid a paltry entry fee to see them live?  Maybe a funk/dub one in was in but none of the rock/indie /covers mobs  I was in.  And would I have walked put on any of them if they'd struck up while I was already in the pub? Yep, at least a dozen of them.

yes, I go and see us, because we play the songs I like (and the rest of the band do fortunately), must admit though I've got a really low threshold on originals bands, may not be popular with some on here but I soon get bored if I don't know the songs

1 minute ago, PaulWarning said:

yes, I go and see us, because we play the songs I like (and the rest of the band do fortunately), must admit though I've got a really low threshold on originals bands, may not be popular with some on here but I soon get bored if I don't know the songs

I know what you mean Paul, I generally find that a 30min set from a band where I don`t know the material is generally enough for me.

• Like 1

When I was student I spent more time watching cover bands and one man shows than the traditional "plastered at the disco" which my mates loved.

If the group can play and get the crowd on their side, no matter the genre, I would generally enjoy it.

31 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I know what you mean Paul, I generally find that a 30min set from a band where I don`t know the material is generally enough for me.

I enjoy not knowing the songs and being surprised that way. If it's good, new stuff is twice as exciting to me.

I would actually dearly love to see my band live. I would definitely miss so much by concentrating on the busy bass parts:

My band mates include Marco Sfogli, Arjen Lucassen, Mike Mills, Thomas Lang and The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra! 

• Thanks 1

Our drummer let a kid from another band play his set on an encore we did last year and he bloody loved it!! We are careful to avoid being "just another pub covers band" so we tend to play events where they require longer sets but people are there to drink and dance, not to chat, watch the footy or play pool. All the things a pub band disrupts! I would love to see my band at an event but I haven't ventured out to see a local band for a few years, except at events where I'm playing later!

3 hours ago, mcnach said:

oh, and I've gone to see bands after I left them too. 

Me too, but I've always found it a slightly strange experience - a bit like seeing your ex-girlfriend with a new bloke.

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

Agree but not many go to own material gigs without liking the band .A gig to me is seeing and original band peform their stuff which i've known through listening .Looking at some of the cover gig punters i get the impression they don't do proper gigs (touring bands etc )

30 minutes ago, matski said:

Me too, but I've always found it a slightly strange experience - a bit like seeing your ex-girlfriend with a new bloke.

It depends on how/why you left I suppose... 

There's one band in particular I really like and I enjoy seeing them do well. I recommended their current bass player to them when I left and they're all happy. 

There was one band I left in good terms but slightly frustrated: music was great but there was a clear band leader who was a bit too much of a control freak for my liking. I see him out and about and we chat like friends, I just cannot play in his band. The first time I saw them with a new bassist it felt a bit strange. I heard the first song... "that's not how I played it" turned into "but this way is so much better!" :) They had a really cool bass player and I enjoyed the music even more now that I didn't have to endure being in a band with that guy ;)