Why become a member? ×

Wax.?

bubinga5

Never heard of anyone using antique furniture polish on a fretboard, and not entirely sure why you'd want to.

I've had the same bottle of cheapo Dunlop lemming oil for 10+ years, used it literally hundreds of times with results I'm very happy with. Still about 2/3 of it left too - the key is don't use much.

• Like 1

That's great wax for dark unfinished furniture, but not for a fretboard.

All you need is a small drop of fingerboard oil applied once or twice a year at most. That will do the job.

Best I've found is Manson Fingerboard Oil. A small bottle will last a lifetime, unless you're a pro luthier ....

17 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Never heard of anyone using antique furniture polish on a fretboard, and not entirely sure why you'd want to.

I've had the same bottle of cheapo Dunlop lemming oil for 10+ years, used it literally hundreds of times with results I'm very happy with. Still about 2/3 of it left too - the key is don't use much.

A friend is a carpenter, and he has worked with rosewood for 20 years or so. He said, use it in very small amounts, and it will absorb into the wood after an hour, then polish it. Of course he doesn't know anything about guitars. What would be the difference here..?

you may find the lemon oil is absorbed quickly into the fretboard - this eems to be the case with my Wenge fretboards. If this happens just keep reapplying until it isnt absorbed so quickly and then just wipe off any excess with a piece of kitchen roll.

56 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

I've had the same bottle of cheapo Dunlop lemming oil for 10+ years, 

And the award for my favourite auto correct/ predictive text sentence sabotage so far this year goes to...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Im wanting to wax my fretboard. Its an unfinished Brazilian rosewood (I was told). This species is now banned I believe. So I want to be careful what I put on it. I have this Wax called Antiquax. Is this ok to use. ? 

Any thoughts.? 

Everyone has their own opinions on conditioning fret-boards and I don't want to disrespect anyone else, but I have avoided lemon oil for a while now after reading a few articles about it not being great for the wood. I have been using Music Nomad F-One oil and think it is brilliant, it makes my fret-board look amazing and doesn't dry out anywhere near as quick as lemon oil used to.

Just look at the bottom of the page to see the luthiers using it now: https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Products/Fretboard-F-ONE-Oil-2-oz/

3 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

My local tech guy said only use a very small amount with 100% cotton. Leave it for 5 minutes, then rub the wood clean of any excess. 

20180524_141953.jpg

The very stuff I have. Label on mine's a bit faded now. :D