Why become a member? ×

Is it me?

pbasspecial

I'm assuming this is a covers band - if it was original stuff, my answer would be completely different.

I'm a bit confused why they (or you?) don't just get a Dep in.  They're planning on paying rehearsal time for a keys player to learn bass, why not just pay a dep bass player and have keys and bass on the night?  

It's a mixture of both covers and originals.  The keys player knows the songs (on keys) and can also play bass guitar.  The singer is just trying to take the path of least resistance. Getting a dep in would have been a better musical solution maintains the integrity of the band but I don't think he could be bothered in having to start from ground zero.

3 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

It's a mixture of both covers and originals.  The keys player knows the songs (on keys) and can also play bass guitar.  The singer is just trying to take the path of least resistance. Getting a dep in would have been a better musical solution maintains the integrity of the band but I don't think he could be bothered in having to start from ground zero.

Get a good Dep and you shouldn't be starting from ground zero.  Is it an originals band that plays a few covers or a covers band that plays a few originals.  If the former I'd jump ship, if the later I'd also consider jumping ship but would be less likely to do so than if it was all originals.

• Like 1

My feeling is that things need to be discussed. The very fact that the OP has posted this on here for advice shows that he is not happy with the situation. Air your grievances. If you don't get satisfaction then either you have to put up with it or leave. If it causes you stress then it is not worth staying IMO. Weigh up the benefits of being in the band versus the costs (financial and personal).

• Like 1

I see both sides.  They want to do this gig and make some cash,  however,  if you're doing originals and trying to build a following,  this will be a different band.  They should go out under a different name for this one-off.  Also,  gear costs money.  Who's going to take responsibility if your pa gets messed up?  Wish them well for the gig and let them sort out their own gear.

My main concern would be them thinking collectively or individually that the PA can be borrowed anytime for projects,

Reputation - going out as a ramshackle band could be detrimental to your following and street cred as a local band in its ascendancy if that is a Risk in your case.

Dep - Most good established working bands use deps, I would be relieved that they haven't in this case, just in case - younger, better looking, better player and hangs better with the lads :drinks::crigon_04:

Chill - see this as a chance for them to realise all the things you add to the outfit, get a close friend to attend anonymously to check out the performance. make sure they are aware about your concerns for using the PA as a one off.

• Like 1

My originals band is completely modular. As long as the main singer/guitarist turns up, we've performed as a one, two, three or four-piece in every permutation of vox/guitar/bass/drums. We're all very low-temperature though, and it's never been an issue. If I was you I'd relax and let them get on with it - money in the band kitty that can be used to maintain any wear and tear on the PA sounds fair enough to me.

Having read this thread...

... it's fairly clear that the OP isn't happy.

It's also not too difficult to find the band on youtube. I genuinely find the music enjoyable, but I would say that marketing themselves as The *** ********* Band is a mistake (censored in case OP doesn't want it to be googleable). The singer/guitarist isn't exactly a dominating presence. His voice is reasonable in a band setting, but not mind-blowing. His rhythm playing is good but his soloing is basic (maybe the video was done on an off day?). His name also doesn't scream "rock star".

Solid bass playing by the way!

• Thanks 1

OK, just re-read the older thread (which i remember, just not who posted it)

That one was left with the OP just seeing out the current bookings and then more than likely going to jack it in.  Has that changed and you now want to stay? (also, where did the keyboard player come from? he wasn't mentioned in the previous thread...possibly he wasn't relevant to your gripes)

If not and you've still got one foot out of the door then left them get on with it, and hand in your notice when you get back from holiday, or even better, do it now.  I wouldn't kick off about the PA, though it's maybe a better strategy to quit after your holiday as they're more likely to take better care of it if they think they'll be using it again soon than if they know it's the last time they're going to see it.

But given it's the second time you've posted on it in the last month, clearly you're not happy and doing the adult thing and having a grown up chat about it hasn't worked, so what's the point in continuing?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dlloyd said:

Having read this thread...

... it's fairly clear that the OP isn't happy.

It's also not too difficult to find the band on youtube. I genuinely find the music enjoyable, but I would say that marketing themselves as The *** ********* Band is a mistake (censored in case OP doesn't want it to be googleable). The singer/guitarist isn't exactly a dominating presence. His voice is reasonable in a band setting, but not mind-blowing. His rhythm playing is good but his soloing is basic (maybe the video was done on an off day?). His name also doesn't scream "rock star".

Solid bass playing by the way!

I totally agree with your comments about the band.  His singing and guitar playing have not progressed in the 18 months we have worked together and acts like he's the finished article/'you don't need to be the best singer/guitarist'.  His attitude is the reason this project is going at a snails pace because I think ultimately deep down he knows he will be weighed, measured and found wanting and his personality/attitude is a mask for his insecurities.

Thanks for the nice comment about my bass playing btw.