Why become a member? ×

Problem using multiple guitars on stage.

vbance

Over many years I'd always take a spare bass to gigs and only use the second one if I snapped a string. Never using any pedals I would quickly reset the gain and volume and crack on. Since joining my latest band I have added a pedal board using an mxr m87 compressor - mxr m89 overdrive - chase bliss warped vinyl mk11 vibrato/chorus.

Anyway mid gig I decided to use the spare bass just because I thought the next few numbers we were about to do would sound better using my P Bass. It's only our second gig and I thought I'd give it a go.

Well, most of you probably can guess, the P signal was a lot hotter than my yamaha and the compressor light level meter went into the red. I was in the dark and there are more knobs on the pedal than pedals for a learner driver. I did in the end just turn the volume down on the guitar until the meter looked ok.

So...is there such a thing as a pedal or some way to equal out the two guitar signals so I can swap 2 or 3 guitars during a gig while not having to adjust anything on the pedal board or the guitars as I think in future there will be more of a need to do this?

Guest Jecklin

Or for a very simple solution in the meantime.

- set your amp to gig volume (this is important) with all pedals etc using your lower output bass, swap to the hotter bass and turn the volume down on the instrument until the set up responds the same. Put a piece of gaffa tape on the volume knob or mark with permanent pen.

You can now swap between instruments to your heart's content with no volume change etc

I had to do this the whole time in a two bass set up before buying mixer

1 minute ago, pete.young said:

An alternative is to reset the 'input' on the compressor until it stays in the green zone with normal playing.

This. Especially if the comp is at the beginning of the chain.

Mark the pedal with some tape. I'm not a fan of turning the bass volume down all the time as on a passive bass the EQ curve is changed and you lose top end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, vbance said:

so I can swap 2 or 3 guitars

Boss LS-2 can do three instruments. Also has multiple switching modes in case your needs change in the future (e.g. blend two inputs; or route one instrument through two effects loops).

Edited by jrixn1
  • Thanks 1

My far more basic solution to this (in my case balancing a passive and an active bass) is a MXR Micro Amp, which is a pretty clean boost.  Set everything up using the active bass and leaving the Micro Amp off, then swap to the passive bass, switch on the pedal and turn the knob until the volume matches the active bass.  Has the bonus of only having one knob to worry about (insert knob joke here) and being built like a tank

• Thanks 1

I used one of these for switching between and balancing the outputs of my two basses...

https://www.andertons.co.uk/lehle-3at1-sgos-switcher-with-midi-for-three-instruments-(stereo)-to-either-amp-or-tuner-3at1?LGWCODE=3AT1;56375;6335&gclid=CjwKCAjwxZnYBRAVEiwANMTRX54cUuLN3ICO11ouzvTF_69yKZ9wejSvIau5ZxD0IKVK-aVYu2mw1hoChwgQAvD_BwE

Built like a brick outhouse, totally silent in operation, transparent and 100% reliable.It actually allows you to switch between three sources. I just used two channels and used the middle button as a mute. I don't think I was ever so flash to have brought three basses to a gig!

135895-tmp3194.jpg?w=900&h=900&fit=fill&

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TrevorR said:

I used one of these for switching between and balancing the outputs of my two basses...

https://www.andertons.co.uk/lehle-3at1-sgos-switcher-with-midi-for-three-instruments-(stereo)-to-either-amp-or-tuner-3at1?LGWCODE=3AT1;56375;6335&gclid=CjwKCAjwxZnYBRAVEiwANMTRX54cUuLN3ICO11ouzvTF_69yKZ9wejSvIau5ZxD0IKVK-aVYu2mw1hoChwgQAvD_BwE

Built like a brick outhouse, totally silent in operation, transparent and 100% reliable.It actually allows you to switch between three sources. I just used two channels and used the middle button as a mute. I don't think I was ever so flash to have brought three basses to a gig!

135895-tmp3194.jpg?w=900&h=900&fit=fill&

I have exactly this and it's brilliant.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Steve Browning said:

I have exactly this and it's brilliant.

Mine was the Mk 1 version where you had to take the lid off to adjust the relative volumes of the channels. This Mk 2 version is even better with the access to the channel volume pots from the top. Such a good pedal.

Cheers jacko  but i'm thinking the easier option is going to be setting up a pedal once at a practice or rehearsal and hopefully not having to mess about too much at the soundcheck. Then I'll have more time to help the drummer carry all his gear in.;-) 

• Like 1

Just now, vbance said:

Cheers jacko  but i'm thinking the easier option is going to be setting up a pedal once at a practice or rehearsal and hopefully not having to mess about too much at the soundcheck. Then I'll have more time to help the drummer carry all his gear in.;-) 

Because the volume knob on a bass absolutely never gets accidentally knocked! I’m with you VB!

I gave up on using even 2 basses at gigs.

I play in a bar band , these are generally 8-12 four hour gigs. There's not enough time to switch between songs and my pedals react differently to different basses.

I really think using multiple guitars or basses is primarily for show.

Blue

9 hours ago, jazzmanb said:

Radial bassbone for me ,two basses plugged in ready,two channels,DI ,boost,effects loop ,bingo !

I had one of these, but sold it on as I wasn't really using it too much (never bothered using the spare bass for a start). Nether the less, a great piece of kit that will be pretty much ideal for your needs. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I play in a bar band , these are generally 8-12 four hour gigs. There's not enough time to switch between songs and my pedals react differently to different basses.

Blue

I'm sorry but your last sentence is a bit stupid. I swap between a passive fretted bass and an active fretless because the songs sound better with the slides. I forgot to switch the passive/active switch at a rehearsal once and vowed that I wouldn't do that again and went down a route that forced me to act for each change.

You use pedals to change the sound to suit songs, some of us use a different bass.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

I'm sorry but your last sentence is a bit stupid. I swap between a passive fretted bass and an active fretless because the songs sound better with the slides. I forgot to switch the passive/active switch at a rehearsal once and vowed that I wouldn't do that again and went down a route that forced me to act for each change.

You use pedals to change the sound to suit songs, some of us use a different bass.

I agree with blue to a certain extent however I know changing between fretless/fretted makes sense.

I don't know if its just age or experience, but for me, less gear the better. Less 'knobs' to twiddle and less things to go wrong. Changing basses mid set (outwith  for fretted/fretless or different tunings) doesn't make sense to me.

I broke a string at a gig once. It surprised me and it surprised the audience as I didn't have a backup bass and had to change a string mid gig. Not clever.

So I now take a spare bass and,if the gig requires,my fretless. Nothing to do with showing off and everything to do with being prepared and not letting your band and audience down.

My solution to differing levels- TC Electronic Stacatto 51 with 3 presets. Job's a good un

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Elfrasho said:

I agree with blue to a certain extent however I know changing between fretless/fretted makes sense.

I don't know if its just age or experience, but for me, less gear the better. Less 'knobs' to twiddle and less things to go wrong. Changing basses mid set (outwith  for fretted/fretless or different tunings) doesn't make sense to me.

I can agree with the last paragraph. I was watching a David Gilmour show on DVD and plain couldn't hear any difference between all the basses Guy Pratt was using (for more or less every number).

I've always preferred to bring a spare just in case, but my last lot didn't have any transport (playing gigs round London where the PA and backline would be supplied) and it's a lot easier getting on the tube with just one bass.  I'd still have preferred to have a spare with me (and it's the only band I've played with where the bass did completely fail mid-gig...fortunately "mid" was half way through the final song) but I'll make do.  Though I'd never do a gig playing guitar without a spare - breaking strings is my speciality.

Even when I've had more than one bass, I've got out of the habit of changing mid-set because one song sound better on a different bass - partly it's because I seemed to be the only person who noticed anyway, but also I'm now much more likely to try a different playing technique to vary the tone.

10 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

I use either a fretted / fretless pair in one band or, in the other band, one bass in standard tuning and one tuned down to Eb across the strings at gigs.  The audience can therefore either watch re-tuning probably 5 or 6 times a set or being showy and having two basses.  Fairly sure I know what there preferred option would be.

• Like 1