Why become a member? ×

Secretive Hello!

SodaDreamer

Hi all, 

I'm not a bassist myself, but my wonderful partner plays both electric and double bass so I guess I could be a bass widow? :D

I'm taking a big risk posting here as I know he reads these forums regularly but hopefully he won't catch on.

He is amazing, musically and as a partner. Before I met him I was shy and nervous but because of his love and support I have written and recorded an album, won a songwriting competition and performed at several festivals. The last year has been incredibly hard for me but he has been my rock, so loving and so supportive. I couldn't have made it through without him.

His birthday is coming up and I want to get him something really special to show how thankful I am both to and for him. But I don't know where to start!

My initial thought was whether there were any respected bassists that I could arrange a lesson with, or something like that. But I'm looking for any ideas or advice on something to get him that he would love but also not guess I would be capable of choosing.

I have a decent amount of money to play with so let me have it!

I should mention he plays the double bass more than the electric and tends to play country/bluegrass above anything else.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions and thanks for letting me join!

(And let's just hope he doesn't see this as it's pretty obvious it's him isn't it!)

Thanks all!

SD

Xxxx

• Like 1

Wow, what a lovely gesture, sounds like he is one lucky guys to have such a loving partner.

Just an idea that spring to mind, do you know what bass or basses he plays? You might be able to arrange a trip to Germany to have a tour of ths Warwick factory if those basses float his boat. 

Maybe see if there are any double bass master classes at the Royal Academy of Music in London.

Good luck.

He has a beautiful off white Sei Bass (think I've spelt that right?). He's a trained luthier too if that helps the creative juices! The factory tour idea is great but I'm not sure he's too keen on Warwick designs. I'll look into the master classes. Thanks so much!

Good evening, SD, and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. I can't help with the request (I'm a drummer, you see :$ ...), but good luck with getting your nice thought materialised. A lucky bloke, it would seem. B|

@SodaDreamer Just a suggestion... It may generate more 'traffic' if you could redact a rather more anodyne version of your request (ask for suggestions of 'special' gifts for db players or similar..?) and post it in the 'General Discussion' section..? This is the 'Introductions' section, but not everyone reads these; the GD section will have a much wider, and maybe more reactive, readership. Just be careful to not give too many details as to the recipient..? Just a suggestion...