Why become a member? ×

Terrible Promoter

On 5/23/2018 at 13:29, Leonard Smalls said:

Aye - that's what we're minded to do... We just know to steer clear of this promoter!

We had situations not quite as silly but not far off... and we have done the "let's do it so that we don't get bad reputation". Guess what? Incidents like that kept happening.

Then one day I had enough and refused, and convinced my reluctant bandmates.

Do you know what happened?

NOTHING.

If fact, we decided to not put up with unreasonable crap (there's always some kind of crap, it goes with the territory), and things become much better. When a promoter treates you badly, chances are you're not the only one and people know about it. If you keep working with that kind of people, then you will be seen as a band who is probably not very serious, I think. 

In your case... 7.30 is probably a nicer slot, so if you can do it, why not? But I'd stay away from that guy in the future. If it's not a nicer slot or you can't make it... fear not and just tell him that you're ready to play the 3pm slot and that's it. Don't be afraid of him being upset... it doesn't look like he's the kind of person you need to worry about. Just be firmly polite, there's nothing gained by being confrontational (I did threaten one promoter once who got in my face... guess what? yes, nothing happened either... turns out he's well known for being an idiot and some people were sad I didn't thump him :D but yeah, best to keep it simple, polite, and move on)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thepurpleblob said:

I've never met a so-called "promoter" that I've liked. They tend to be some form of failed-musician sociophobe. 

Some of them are good guys, we work with a few who are great, really understand how to work with bands. Happy to single out STP as a great outfit to deal with.

2 hours ago, The59Sound said:

My favourite gigs are, don't get paid, buy your own beer, no guest list and £7 entry on top for anyone who does want to see you.

Original bands - stay well clear of The Arches in Coventry! 

I played there last year, they actually treated us very well. 

4 hours ago, The59Sound said:

My favourite gigs are, don't get paid, buy your own beer, no guest list and £7 entry on top for anyone who does want to see you.

Original bands - stay well clear of The Arches in Coventry! 

Played there a couple of times, and are back there later on this year with The Cockney Rejects. Like @mcnach only had good experiences there.

Wasn’t the suggestion that Originals bands avoid the Arches, not that all bands avoid this venue?

If you look at their website, they seem to feature a lot of tribute bands, which could be the reason for the caution.

On 5/25/2018 at 19:23, Baxlin said:

Wasn’t the suggestion that Originals bands avoid the Arches, not that all bands avoid this venue?

If you look at their website, they seem to feature a lot of tribute bands, which could be the reason for the caution.

Mine was originals...