Why become a member? ×

Filter & Synth Sounds - Let's hear them!

Al Krow

Here are 12 patches I’ve made for the Future Impact. The favourite will be sent to Andras as a demo as I’m applying to be a programmer on the V3 firmware. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YlDIU-uCJNLyRa45UCGppjmL4_nZl634/view?usp=drivesdk

@Al Krow I’ve been given a Focusrite Saffire 6. Sadly it’s only usb 1.1 so not fast enough to run my live piano on. I’ll need to buy something better. 

To aid navigation here are the time stamps:

00.00 baby cheeses
00.43 back to the drawing board
01.28 bass-related injuries
02.38 double trouble
03.20 double trouble (8vb)
04.02 empty nest
04.46 forced hibernation 4
05.31 forced hibernation 5
06.27 mouse only 2 driven 1
07.10 mouse only 2 driven 2
07.56 mouse only 2 parallel filters
08.43 mouse only 3
09.32 mouse only vocal bass

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 2

Here we are guys!

I'm posting some clips

Please don't judge the bass player, but only the sound. It's all a first take record, so forgive the mistakes!

I'm uploading 2 Funk Lite clips because at my normal setting it sounded a bit dark, it's the main problem with the audio clips, all these pedals sound broader when amplificated

Funk Lite.mp3

Funk Lite 2.mp3

Fwonkbeta 2.mp3

Wonderlove.mp3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Merlino - thanks for posting those, some cool clips! What dial settings did you use for each, and what bass are you playing through?

If the Wonderlove is the only one that sounds decent on funk/slap then for me that gives it an edge over the other two - that was definitely the most interesting and fun clip for me :) 

(I'm already glad I bothered to revive this thread!)

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

Here are 12 patches I’ve made for the Future Impact. The favourite will be sent to Andras as a demo as I’m applying to be a programmer on the V3 firmware. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YlDIU-uCJNLyRa45UCGppjmL4_nZl634/view?usp=drivesdk

1.   00.00 baby cheeses
2.   00.43 back to the drawing board
3.   01.28 bass-related injuries
4a  02.38 double trouble
4b. 03.20 double trouble (8ve down)
5.   04.02 empty nest
6.   04.46 forced hibernation 4
7.   05.31 forced hibernation 5
8.   06.27 mouse only 2 driven 1
9.   07.10 mouse only 2 driven 2
10. 07.56 mouse only 2 parallel filters
11. 08.43 mouse only 3
12. 09.32 mouse only vocal bass

Great stuff, Peter! 

I'm finding it really hard to select a top 3 from these samples, but if pressed I'd probably go for (1) as very synthy (7) as being a nice take on a non glitchy(!) OC2 and (10) 'cos it was a little different / interesting.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

1.   00.00 baby cheeses
2.   00.43 back to the drawing board
3.   01.28 bass-related injuries
4a  02.38 double trouble
4b. 03.20 double trouble (8ve down)
5.   04.02 empty nest
6.   04.46 forced hibernation 4
7.   05.31 forced hibernation 5
8.   06.27 mouse only 2 driven 1
9.   07.10 mouse only 2 driven 2
10. 07.56 mouse only 2 parallel filters
11. 08.43 mouse only 3
12. 09.32 mouse only vocal bass

Great stuff, Peter! 

I'm finding it really hard to select a top 3 from these samples, but if pressed I'd probably go for (1) as very synthy (7) as being a nice take on a non glitchy(!) OC2 and (10) 'cos it was a little different / interesting.

Thanks. 

It’s between 6, 7, 9 and 11 now. Only one shall be victorious. 

2 hours ago, Merlino said:

Here we are guys!

I'm posting some clips

Please don't judge the bass player, but only the sound. It's all a first take record, so forgive the mistakes!

I'm uploading 2 Funk Lite clips because at my normal setting it sounded a bit dark, it's the main problem with the audio clips, all these pedals sound broader when amplificated

Funk Lite.mp3

Funk Lite 2.mp3

Fwonkbeta 2.mp3

Wonderlove.mp3

Love that Merlino.  I’ve resisted buying a wonder love for years. I don’t use pedals live very often but I have to say that funk lite sounds great. Not too much squelch and very useable in a band setting. 

Anyone have a funk lite for sale???? 😂

@Quatschmacher

"Running a bass through a Moog 1".

Some great sounds for sure, no question, BUT.... it's not going to fit:

- on my pedal board (or currently anywhere at home for that matter!);

- my budget either at a bargain basement £6k!! 

Kinda feels wrong to be playing it as a bass pedal when it's really a polyphonic keyboard synth? 

But for a pro, it could well be an amazing piece of kit and I can see why you've fallen in love with it. 

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@Merlino - thanks for posting those, some cool clips! What dial settings did you use for each, and what bass are you playing through?

If the Wonderlove is the only one that sounds decent on funk/slap then for me that gives it an edge over the other two - that was definitely the most interesting and fun clip for me :) 

(I'm already glad I bothered to revive this thread!)

I've used a 5 string jazz bass with DR Lo Rider SS

At the end of the chain I always use a compressor, my actual "go to" comp is the Nemphasis VT Comp (a super easy optical compressor)

Here''s the pictures of the envelopes and Doom settings

20190407_175459.jpg

20190407_175512.jpg

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@Quatschmacher

"Running a bass through a Moog 1".

Some great sounds for sure, no question, BUT.... it's not going to fit:

- on my pedal board (or currently anywhere at home for that matter!);

- my budget either at a bargain basement £6k!! 

Kinda feels wrong to be playing it as a bass pedal when it's really a polyphonic keyboard synth? 

But for a pro, it could well be an amazing piece of kit and I can see why you've fallen in love with it. 

It’s a daft video and doesn’t really go any way to showing what this synth can do. There are loads of better showcases. I only posted for that ridiculous wet fart sound ‘cause it made me laugh so much. 

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Pardon, what did you say...I'm not sure I heard you?

Could you shout a little louder please? 😂

Don’t know what happened there. I’ve had text suddenly change size in the middle of a paragraph even though there’s no option to do so!

2 hours ago, GisserD said:

I'm sorry Peter I haven't han a chance to listen yet but I will do this evening! 

I’ve got it down to 3 or 4 now. Hope to decide by tonight. Would also appreciate your views on how they are to play too. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

I’ve got it down to 3 or 4 now. Hope to decide by tonight. Would also appreciate your views on how they are to play too. 

listening to the tracks a few times for me its between 5 and 11

not sure ill get a chance to play tonight :(

2 hours ago, Merlino said:

At the end of the chain I always use a compressor, my actual "go to" comp is the Nemphasis VT Comp (a super easy optical compressor)

One thought: have you tried putting a compressor before your filters?

My signal chain is Thumpinator (i.e. HPF) to clean up low end crud --> TC Spectracomp --> Filters

I find that the my filters (particularly the MXR BEF) are significantly more responsive with the compressor before them in the chain.

I just wonder whether you would find your Fwonkbeta able to handle slap if you had your compressor at the start to feed it a tighter signal? Be interesting to see if this makes a difference or not.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GisserD said:

listening to the tracks a few times for me its between 5 and 11

not sure ill get a chance to play tonight :(

It’s now between the 2nd and 4th of these 4. (The third is the old number 11 and the final one is a tweak of it).

Let me know your thoughts soon. I want to submit tonight and still need to edit. Thanks. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11z5AD42-9raCk4mBH4ojzdZ_nX85-7ie/view?usp=drivesdk

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

One thought: have you tried putting a compressor before your filters?

My signal chain is Thumpinator (i.e. HPF) to clean up low end crud --> TC Spectracomp --> Filters

I find that the my filters (particularly the MXR BEF) are significantly more responsive with the compressor before them in the chain.

I just wonder whether you would find your Fwonkbeta able to handle slap if you had your compressor at the start to feed it a tighter signal? Be interesting to see if this makes a difference or not.

I've used the compressor before the filters for a lot of time, but recently I realized that the comp is not only acting by limiting the peaks, but also it rises the volume of the softer notes. In other words the compressor produce a narrower range of dynamics, and my concern isn't for the peaks, but for all the soft nuances of the right hand.

Now if you use (like I do) lots of ghost notes the enhancement of the weaker notes is useful, but if you like to "play the filter" in my opinion the compressor is working against your right hand. So I decided to try the comp after the filter, and I like this solution very much!

Honestly the Fwonkbeta sounds very good in slap, but the wonderlove still my favorite for the percussive techniques. Of course these are my tastes :-)

• Like 1