Why become a member? ×

Filter & Synth Sounds - Let's hear them!

Al Krow

4 hours ago, owen said:

I am describing the Freeze, but I figure that having different tones ready to be sustained would give me a broader pallette. For instance there are some songs we do in church where having a quiet "pad" would be great and that can be programmed with perhaps less initial "thud" from the bass. The element of progammability is what does it for me.

Obv, when I talk of programmability I am talking about the geeks at work doing that for me.

A quiet pad can easily be triggered from the bass without a thud. You just need to set a longer VCA and/or VCF attack time in the patch. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pigtronix Space Rip - Analog Synth

Check this out! Analog synth offering sawtooth and square wave in multiple voices: with both a sub and octave down.

Shares the tiny form factor of the Bananana Matryoshka (remember that - seems to have all but disappeared from view?) although without quite such tiny knobs! If it provides a few more usable sounds on bass than the BM did and has the excellent tracking promised by Pigtronix it could be worth investigating further.

Colour me interested!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Pigtronix Space Rip - Analog Synth

Check this out! Analog synth offering sawtooth and square wave in multiple voices: with both a sub and octave down.

Shares the tiny form factor of the Bananana Matryoshka (remember that - seems to have all but disappeared from view?) although without quite such tiny knobs! If it provides a few more usable sounds on bass than the BM did and has the excellent tracking promised by Pigtronix it could be worth investigating further.

Colour me interested!

Interesting and good to see something with PWM on it which is lacking in many synth pedals. Tuning seemed a bit squiffy and sounded more like V/octave than playing back the exact pitch so wonder what was going on there. 

I think it will be shipping in Feb and has a launch price of around $180, so I guess something similar in £ over here.

Update: GuitarGuitar have them for pre-order at £165. I'm just wondering whether this will double up as an analogue octave pedal.

Edited by Al Krow

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/01/2021 at 01:10, Quatschmacher said:

Actually also check out the Disaster Area MIDI Baby and MIDI Baby 3. If you only need a few functions and expression control, these look pretty cool.

I would check out the D.A. MIDI Baby if I could find one in the UK.

25 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

You could buy direct from disaster area. 

It looks like that is the option. Andertons have the 3 button one, but not the baby. I was just wondering if there was distribution in the UK.

To be honest, by the time I have ordered it from the US and paid a customs and handling charge, the Morningstar 6 doobrie on FB for £170 seems to be much more versatile. For another £40? So I will get that. Thanks.

Someone recently mentioned they were thinking of swapping their Mastotron plus OC2 'synth' combination for one of these...

...must admit it feels a little bit glitchy to me and has some very limited voicings, so I'd be tempted to stick to the Mastotron + octaver down of your choice (probably a COG T16)

Edited by Al Krow

The Keeley sounds like a really cool, old school Moog style synth to me. I'm actually tempted by it. Not super flexible but it's pretty phat sounding, sounds good for a hip-hop dirty synth bass Dr Dre/Snoop Dogg type sound and it looks easy to dual in. 

These demos by a Talkbass member make it sound better too. I think the Synth-1's real strength is going to be using it with an expression pedal as the filter control has a really wide sweep to it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...