Why become a member? ×

Filter & Synth Sounds - Let's hear them!

Al Krow

7 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Not sure. It's quite a different sound altogether though.

Ok thanks. I guess that particular MJ track (the way you make me feel) is a really good litmus test for me as to whether a bass synth can deliver a usable 80s synth tone. 

47 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ok thanks. I guess that particular MJ track (the way you make me feel) is a really good litmus test for me as to whether a bass synth can deliver a usable 80s synth tone. 

Have you found one and can share with us a recording of it in action?

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

By 80s bass do you just mean “FM synth bass”? I’m pretty sure that MJ line was likely done on a DX7.

13 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Excellent Sound Sample's & real quality filter sounds... 👏👏👏🙏🙏

Edited by paulo m
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

This can be done using the FI’s SYNTH mode as you can use a latched MIDI note from a keyboard/MIDI controller to play the synth bit but still send the audio from the bass to the filter and effects. 

Can I do it with some sort of stand alone midi controller as if I am just using a sustain pedal? I full realise that I will not be freezing the audio. but could have patches which would continue the synth sound until the cows come home?

Can I just create a really long note while just playing bass on stage?

31 minutes ago, owen said:

Can I do it with some sort of stand alone midi controller as if I am just using a sustain pedal? I full realise that I will not be freezing the audio. but could have patches which would continue the synth sound until the cows come home?

Can I just create a really long note while just playing bass on stage?

Yes, that has been possible since v3 was launched using SYNTH mode. Any MIDI controller capable of sending note-on/off messages will work. Your phone will do it. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 minute ago, owen said:

Now, this is exciting. Now I need you to tell me which one. 

Depends on your needs really. I’m a big fan of the Morningstar stuff and @HazBeen is selling the excellent MC6 I sold him when I upgraded to the bigger MC8. If you wanted something with 12 buttons for the twelve chromatic pitches then a Macmillan 12 step or something might be better. Or some kind of midi organ foot pedal. I’d honestly suggest starting with the MC6 or smaller MC3 though. 

The Morningstar stuff looks interesting but it will be a click on click off event which I am not hugely up for. I just want to hit an open E on the bass, press a sustain pedal like a keyboard player would and get 41Hz of LF goodness rumbling on until I take my foot off. I am not trying to be awkward.

2 hours ago, owen said:

The Morningstar stuff looks interesting but it will be a click on click off event which I am not hugely up for. I just want to hit an open E on the bass, press a sustain pedal like a keyboard player would and get 41Hz of LF goodness rumbling on until I take my foot off. I am not trying to be awkward.

Young Jedi, you are quite mistaken. As with all these things, you have the option for the messages to be latching or momentary as you desire. You’ll have to try harder to be awkward. 😆

33 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Young Jedi, you are quite mistaken. As with all these things, you have the option for the messages to be latching or momentary as you desire. You’ll have to try harder to be awkward. 😆

Much to learn I have. Off to shop I shall go.

Just now, dannybuoy said:

@owen sounds like you are describing the EHX Freeze pedal?

I am describing the Freeze, but I figure that having different tones ready to be sustained would give me a broader pallette. For instance there are some songs we do in church where having a quiet "pad" would be great and that can be programmed with perhaps less initial "thud" from the bass. The element of progammability is what does it for me.

Obv, when I talk of programmability I am talking about the geeks at work doing that for me.