Why become a member? ×

Filter & Synth Sounds - Let's hear them!

Al Krow

5 minutes ago, AJ567 said:

Thanks a bunch! It's actually a funk/soul/pop originals band but we have done a bunch of cover videos like that one as well. Gigging mainly in London clubs. We released our debut album last month (shameless plug...!) check it out here: https://ffm.to/LATIMO

Sounds fantastic. Would love to come and see you guys play live! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/04/2019 at 16:34, bassfan said:

You need to sell the fwonk to me Mr Krow, you are being greedy with the 000’s of pedals you have, plus you need to spend time with the stomp, not making squelchy noises 😂

Rumours of 000s are a bit exaggerated, a paltry twelve pedals in fact. And your request for more fwonk in your life has now been met. I hope it's being put to proper good squelchy use!

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Rumours of 000s are a bit exaggerated, a paltry twelve pedals in fact. And your request for more fwonk in your life has now been met. I hope it's being put to proper good squelchy use!

It certainly is at home. Very ‘Bootsy’ 😃

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

That is such a good presentation of your clips, Stew! I presume that the settings on the pedals correspond to the ones you used for the recordings?

Yes mate. In case anyone doesn't use the software they can dial them in manually

Don't know if anyone else is getting anything from all this, but I am really finding out about my multi effect as a result of doing them. 

In fact it's an excellent way to learn. I found the b3 daunting when I bought it. Way too many options. But having a specific task has helped me to focus in on a handful of the effects which in turn has led me to understand the whole thing better 

So thanks for the thread. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Been a while since we've had some posts on here - but I know that the filter and synth crew have recently seen a burst of activity!

I managed to snag a used Proton V4 a couple of months back. The Proton V4 feels like it's captured the essence of the 3Leaf GR2 in a more compact package (always welcome for those of us with limited pedal board space!) and it's pretty easy to dial in a good sound. I've attached a little clip with downsweep to give you a flavour.

Filter 11A - Proton4 dn.wav

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Here's a couple of patches from the Boss SY-1, which have been a long time in coming given that Woody and I got our SY-1s a year back! This is in firstly in Bass setting 6 mode and in Arp setting 6 mode. The second track started with a filter added to start with which I kicked off half way through so you can hear the 'clean' synth. Both potentially "usable" synth sounds?

SY1 - Bass6.wav SY1 - Arp6.wav

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Here's a couple of patches from the Boss SY-1, which have been a long time in coming given that Woody and I got our SY-1s a year back! This is in firstly in Bass setting 6 mode and in Arp setting 6 mode. The second track started with a filter added to start with which I kicked off half way through so you can hear the 'clean' synth. Both potentially "usable" synth sounds?

SY1 - Bass6.wav 6.32 MB · 4 downloads SY1 - Arp6.wav 7.87 MB · 3 downloads

I find ARP’s can be tricky for getting the timing right, maybe different on a keyboard but I’d struggle with the timing too using that setting with the band. Might just be getting the knack with a particular arp setting and ‘playing the pattern’ or dialling in the best fit for a particular song. What tracks were you thinking they might fit in? I thought I could hear a touch of Livin On A Prayer in that Bass6 clip🙂

4 minutes ago, krispn said:

I find ARP’s can be tricky for getting the timing right, maybe different on a keyboard but I’d struggle with the timing too using that setting with the band. Might just be getting the knack with a particular arp setting and ‘playing the pattern’ or dialling in the best fit for a particular song. What tracks were you thinking they might fit in? I thought I could hear a touch of Livin On A Prayer in that Bass6 clip🙂

Agreed on the Arp - although that could be solved if the pedal had a tap tempo, which the SY-1 doesn't as far as I'm aware @Woodinblack please jump in, if I have that wrong.

As for songs, not got that far yet. I think I'll need to see the band's reaction (if and when we're ever allowed to gig again) to my mini board's effects and see if I can sneak them in. They're a conservative bunch and have been very used to bass-->amp with nothing in between and they like the bass to sit in or below the mix rather than above it. I suspect synth bass may be more relevant to originals bands e.g. stuff that @BigRedX does, but I'm just putting them out there as potentially usable sounds, particularly given how well the SY-1 tracks which is going to be key.

32 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Agreed on the Arp - although that could be solved if the pedal had a tap tempo, which the SY-1 doesn't as far as I'm aware @Woodinblack please jump in, if I have that wrong.

Sure does:

The SY-1 offers a numbers of ways to make your synth performances even more dynamic and expressive. Pressing and holding the pedal switch sustains the last-played synth sound, allowing you to jam with regular guitar over the top. You can also connect an external footswitch for tap tempo and octave-shift effects, or plug in an expression pedal for continuous Tone/Rate control.

32 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

As for songs, not got that far yet. I think I'll need to see the band's reaction (if and when we're ever allowed to gig again) to my mini board's effects and see if I can sneak them in. 

Oh I stick it in loads of things. I am not a 'blend in the mix' sort of player :)

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

Sure does:

The SY-1 offers a numbers of ways to make your synth performances even more dynamic and expressive. Pressing and holding the pedal switch sustains the last-played synth sound, allowing you to jam with regular guitar over the top. You can also connect an external footswitch for tap tempo and octave-shift effects, or plug in an expression pedal for continuous Tone/Rate control.

Oh I stick it in loads of things. I am not a 'blend in the mix' sort of player :)

Cheers Woody, ok I think honours (almost) even here ie no tap tempo in the pedal itself but accessible via an external footswitch which would, however,  preclude you using an expression pedal.

I've tried it with an expression pedal and found it pretty difficult to match the ARP speed to the beat, so tap tempo maybe the way to go here. Time to make sure that input on the pedal is accessible on my board, again, then! 

Out of interest, have you yourself or come across anyone else using it in tap tempo mode? If so, what sort of footswitch were you / they using?