Why become a member? ×

Filter & Synth Sounds - Let's hear them!

Al Krow

The last of my current uploads for now (till I've worked out how to get something comparably good on the Helix Stomp - don't hold your breath 😂😞

I put the 3Leaf GR2 briefly through its paces earlier and found a setting I liked (as per the pic). For me, it's more subtle in terms of dialling in than either the Fwonk or MXR BEF.

3Leaf GR2 fav setting.jpg

In terms of sound it delivers more of a SQUELCH, like traipsing through a puddle in squishy flip flops, than the other two.

I'm guessing of the three filters on my board @bassfan is still wishing he hadn't passed up on the Fwonkbeta and let me get it instead :)

Filter 9 - 3Leaf GR2.WAV

Filter 9 - 3Leaf GR2.mp3

Edited by Al Krow
Attached also as an mp3 file
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

The last of my current uploads for now (till I've worked out how to get something comparably good on the Helix Stomp - don't hold your breath 😂 )

I've put the 3Leaf GR2 briefly through its paces just now and found a setting I liked (as per the pic). For me, it's more subtle in terms of dialling in than either the Fwonk or MXR BEF.

3Leaf GR2 fav setting.jpg

In terms of sound it delivers more of a SQUELCH, like traipsing through a puddle in squisy flip flops, than the other two. I'm guessing of the three filters on my board @bassfan is still going to be wishing he hadn't passed up on the Fwonkbeta and let me get it instead :)

Filter 9 - 3Leaf GR2.WAV 5.31 MB · 10 downloads

You need to sell the fwonk to me Mr Krow, you are being greedy with the 000’s of pedals you have, plus you need to spend time with the stomp, not making squelchy noises 😂

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bassfan said:

You need to sell the fwonk to me Mr Krow, you are being greedy with the 000’s of pedals you have, plus you need to spend time with the stomp, not making squelchy noises 😂

As I soon as I have found something better at filter than the Fwonk, I promise you can have first dibs on it.

You may wish to make alternative arrangements in the meantime...😁

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Come on BCers, there must one of you out there with a Fwonkbeta going spare for @bassfan?! 😊

• Thanks 1

On 12/04/2019 at 11:06, Al Krow said:

Been waiting to get my hands on one of these for a little while...it's actually more compact than I had thought it would be, which is a bonus. 

Looking forward to A/B'ing it against the Fwonk and MXR BEF over the weekend

I've recently purchased a GR2 from a basschatter, I can't belive you have bought one too! :-)

I'm waiting for the pack, I hope It will arrive soon, can't wait to put my hands on this pedal

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Merlino said:

I've recently purchased a GR2 from a basschatter, I can't belive you have bought one too! 🙂

I'm waiting for the pack, I hope It will arrive soon, can't wait to put my hands on this pedal

I think you're going to be in for a treat! I spent a bit more time with this pedal after my earlier post and I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the GR2 is a very versatile filter. 

The sensitivity, attack and tone settings in the pic above are broadly what I'm likely to have these set on. 

But there's then a LOT of 'quack' / 'squelch' variation from changing the decay from e.g. 11am to 3pm; further variety from the range switch hi / low and you can combine all of that with either an up or down sweep. 

So I think there's going to be plenty to keep you happy! I look forward to you seeing / hearing your favourite settings when you have had a chance to have a play with the GR2 and no doubt my own fav settings will be different to my first impressions post above as well :)

Edited by Al Krow

On 13/04/2019 at 17:34, bassfan said:

If you are searching for a Fwonkbeta, there's a used one on mercatinomusicale.com (the biggest italian website for used musical gear).

https://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_mr-black-pedals-fwonkbeta-envelope-filter-spedizione-compresa_id6064651.html

If you need any help for translation, you could ask me 😉

Edited by Merlino

On 14/04/2019 at 01:21, Al Krow said:

I think you're going to be in for a treat! I spent a bit more time with this pedal after my earlier post and I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the GR2 is a very versatile filter. 

The sensitivity, attack and tone settings in the pic above are broadly what I'm likely to have these set on. 

But there's then a LOT of 'quack' / 'squelch' variation from changing the decay from e.g. 11am to 3pm; further variety from the range switch hi / low and you can combine all of that with either an up or down sweep. 

So I think there's going to be plenty to keep you happy! I look forward to you seeing / hearing your favourite settings when you have had a chance to have a play with the GR2 and no doubt my own fav settings will be different to my first impressions post above as well :)

The GR2 has arrived (great deal with GisserD, a really top guy)

I've just tried it 10 minutes to give it a check, the first impression is that it sounds amazing.

I've set the Res on (+) and I could find good sounds quite fast

Really impressive

• 3 weeks later...

@Merlino how are you liking your GR2?

I've been very pleasantly surprised by the stock filter patch on the new Zoom B1X-Four multi-fx. It sounds very 'usable' to me and I'm not sure audiences will notice a great deal of difference between this and a dedicated filter in a band mix. See what you think?

(I've stuck to the same riff as previously for ease of comparison).

Filter 10 - B1X-4 A-wah.mp3

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I got a MXR M82 last week, as well as a B1-FOUR, so this is is how ill be playing Groove is in the Heart. Still got a bit of tweaking to do with the M82, and also figuring out how to use my Zoom R8 recorder properly (not had it long).

B1 patch is the stock Motown patch.

Drum track just one of the R8 built in rhythms, ive not had time to get to grips with it yet.

Filter Test.mp3

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hah! Definitely like your phrasing of that more than mine, Dave! 

Cheers Bas. I know starting on the high G isnt ‘correct” but i feel it adds a bit of interest. 

I could go for a wetter tone but i find with a pick it can get too piecing on those high notes. 

Edited by dave_bass5

• 1 month later...

I'll play...

Synthy sound kicks in at around 1.15. This is a 3leaf Doom into and EBS Bass IQ. It's at the subtle end of what those two pedals can do (Doom on minimum gain and the EBS is set to 'low' Q) and it's also masked in this particular mix, but you get the idea. I use this sound a lot!

Edited by AJ567
Got the time wrong
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AJ567 said:

I'll play...

Synthy sound kicks in at around 0.57. This is a 3leaf Doom into and EBS Bass IQ. It's at the subtle end of what those two pedals can do (Doom on minimum gain and the EBS is set to 'low' Q) and it's also masked in this particular mix, but you get the idea. I use this sound a lot!

Great sound and playing? What bass guitar is that?

2 hours ago, Jonathan Bee said:

Great sound and playing...

+1 ^^ Love the band! Always very jealous of anyone with a decent horn section! Please do tell us a bit more about Latimo and what you guys get up to?

1 hour ago, AJ567 said:

Also, in the bridge bit from 2.22 I'm using a Xerograph with expression pedal. Forgot about that.

Anything else you forgot? 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

+1 ^^ Love the band! Always very jealous of anyone with a decent horn section! Please do tell us a bit more about Latimo and what you guys get up to?

Anything else you forgot? 😂

Thanks a bunch! It's actually a funk/soul/pop originals band but we have done a bunch of cover videos like that one as well. Gigging mainly in London clubs. We released our debut album last month (shameless plug...!) check it out here: https://ffm.to/LATIMO

• Like 1