Why become a member? ×

Filter & Synth Sounds - Let's hear them!

Al Krow

15 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

If I was applying to program patches I'd want to send them all, unless of course for some reason they specified only one.

He specified one only. It would have been nice to show some breadth of programming. I don’t make the rules and in this instance I didn’t want to break them. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

10 hours ago, basslass said:

Here are some examples what my rig does in its current state!

Aha got what this was about 2.00 mins in...a Korg Volca Keys! Good stuff! :)

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

@Merlino

We both know that we can get quite a range of sounds from the Fwonkbeta and MXR BEF depending on the settings we are using - but I would be interested in your, or anyone else's, thoughts who also has both: would you say those clips are a fair representation of their overall sound i.e. the Fwonkbeta delivers a more consistent and sweeter tone, whereas the MXR is more responsive to playing style?

Edited by Al Krow

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@Merlino

We both know that we can get quite a range of sounds from the Fwonkbeta and MXR BEF depending on the settings we are using - but I would be interested in your thoughts someone who also has both: would you say those clips are a fair representation of their overall sound i.e. the Fwonkbeta delivers a more consistent and sweeter tone, whereas the MXR is more responsive to playing style?

Hi Al!

Thanks for your hard question

Your clips are great samples of the 2 pedals, and a great demonstration that they both sound really good if properly setted.

The biggest difference in my opinion is that the MXR is much easier to set to get a good sound. The BEF has a bit more edge, and works great in a band mix, but as you said it is less consistent.

Both pedals reacts very well to player's dynamics, but I have the impression that the BEF opens faster so it's easier to tame. 

The Fwonkbeta needs more patience to get the sweet spot that matches best with your bass and your touch, but once you get your setting you could feel it bigger, sweeter and juicer. I like the Fwonkbeta because is less "bubbling", and more "waving" (sorry if it's not good examples, but english it's not my first language) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

MXR: Watery, rubbery, vocal-like

Fwonkbeta: KFC bargain bucket with triple gravy

Does sound like a well considered and articulate analysis dB...but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about - particularly with the Fwonk! 😂🤣 

Edited by Al Krow

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@Merlino

Are you currently playing in a band and using your filters in a band mix? (If you have any clips of you doing so, please do share with us!)

I'm currently playing in a funk-soul band, but at the moment I don't remember to have any clips where I play with filters. I'll search anyway, if I'll find something I will surely share 😉

2 minutes ago, Merlino said:

I'm currently playing in a funk-soul band, but at the moment I don't remember to have any clips where I play with filters. I'll search anyway, if I'll find something I will surely share 😉

👍

Cool, and the best sort of band!!

Edited by Al Krow

Been waiting to get my hands on one of these for a little while...it's actually more compact than I had thought it would be, which is a bonus. 

Looking forward to A/B'ing it against the Fwonk and MXR BEF over the weekend. 

3Leaf GR2.jpg

Those of you who have or had one - is your preference to have it band pass or low pass mode?

This one has been set up with it internal switches set to low pass (vs band pass), res + (vs res - ) and buffered bypass (vs true bypass). Actually those would have been my preferences for each setting also, so it seems me and the previous owner (a dodgy bass player from this parish) are thinking along the same lines :) 

3Leaf GR2 internal.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

@Al Krow there’s Chunk System 00Agent Funk MkII in the for sale. I believe it has an input to link it directly to a fuzz. Might be worth a punt if you’re still on the hunt to fill the No.1 slot on your board. Ed Friedland (who else) has a demo up on you tube and if sounds funky especially when linked to the CS fuzz he demos too.

It's a pretty legendary filter for sure. That link socket though is only supposed to work in conjunction with the Brown Dog fuzz...

It depends on whether the link output from the Brown Dog is a CV signal (i.e. DC voltage) or just a dry output signal splitter. If the latter, than you could utilise that link input on the 00Funk just by using any standard signal splitter before any fuzz. The schematics are floating about if anyone can be bothered to find out for sure!

Edited by dannybuoy

21 minutes ago, krispn said:

@Al Krow there’s Chunk System 00Agent Funk MkII in the for sale. I believe it has an input to link it directly to a fuzz. Might be worth a punt if you’re still on the hunt to fill the No.1 slot on your board. Ed Friedland (who else) has a demo up on you tube and if sounds funky especially when linked to the CS fuzz he demos too.

Yeh @Bo0tsy who has more filter pedals in his collection than anyone else I know (we're talking 20 or so?!) has often effused about how good that one is! It's a BIG pedal board consuming beast though...

3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

It's a pretty legendary filter for sure. That link socket though is only supposed to work in conjunction with the Brown Dog fuzz...

It depends on whether the link output from the Brown Dog is a CV signal (i.e. DC voltage) or just a dry output signal splitter. If the latter, than you could utilise that link input on the 00Funk just by using any standard signal splitter before any fuzz. The schematics are floating about if anyone can be bothered to find out for sure!

It’s envelope CV out from the BD. 

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yeh @Bo0tsy who has more filter pedals in his collection than anyone else I know (we're talking 20 or so?!) has often effused about how good that one is! It's a BIG pedal board consuming beast though...

Cheers @Al Krow🤩. The Chunk is an excellent envelope filter. A little tricky to dial in with sensitive controls, especially the down sweep. Very wet and squelchy compared to most if not all other envelope filters. Most similar sounding to an IE Xerograph Deluxe or the even rarer Frostwave Funk-a-Duck. If you can find a Brown Dog gated fuzz to go with it, or an Octavius Squeezer, it is synth heaven.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

It’s envelope CV out from the BD. 

That's a shame, they could just as easily made it work like a sidechain then it would have been compatible with every other fuzz/filter out there.

I'm sure I had a filter once that had an envelope input but I can't remember which one it was! You could either split your signal pre-fuzz and send it to the envelope in, or even send a drum machine to it. WMD Fatman perhaps?

41 minutes ago, Bo0tsy said:

Cheers @Al Krow🤩. The Chunk is an excellent envelope filter. A little tricky to dial in with sensitive controls, especially the down sweep. Very wet and squelchy compared to most if not all other envelope filters. Most similar sounding to an IE Xerograph Deluxe or the even rarer Frostwave Funk-a-Duck. If you can find a Brown Dog gated fuzz to go with it, or an Octavius Squeezer, it is synth heaven.

Hey T - given that we've got your attention, how about posting a wee recording of the Chunk with and without a Brown Dog for us? :)