Why become a member? ×

Filter & Synth Sounds - Let's hear them!

Al Krow

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers, thanks for the confirmation and you're very welcome re. the pdf

I've deliberately got it on the Arpeggiator mode, which gives the output of "Out1" a little boost as compared to all the other modes, precisely so that it might cut through the mix better.

If the 🍌M can get close to a OC-2 (and full filter COG T16 v2) sound, well it's almost earned its keep just on that one setting as it means I won't need to get myself an OC-2 (not that there's any space for one on my board 😂). It also means that I'm not going to regret moving my T16 v2 on either as the 🍌M can cover off the full filter and my Markbass SS the octaver side of things.

...Just had a listen to your OC2 clip. It's definitely more rounded, stable and super synthy as you say! I like it a lot, I'll have to admit (fortunately my peal board is full) :) 

Not to worry - I've already said I'll buy it. Not sure I need another one, but well, it's boxed and I haven't got one of those!! ;)

Yeah, it's the stability thing that I keep coming back to. It's a great sound by itself or brill as the basis for more complex sounds. I think a lot of the boss stuff is a bit outclassed these days but this still holds it own and then some.

1 minute ago, dodge_bass said:

Not to worry - I've already said I'll buy it. Not sure I need another one, but well, it's boxed and I haven't got one of those!! ;)

Yeah, it's the stability thing that I keep coming back to. It's a great sound by itself or brill as the basis for more complex sounds. I think a lot of the boss stuff is a bit outclassed these days but this still holds it own and then some.

So that's going to be your 5th OC-2 to add to your collection?! (Or have you moved some of your previous ones on?) You'll be catching up with @Sibob shortly - I think he's got a current herd of seven or NINE or something!

So which synth pedals have you owned / still got? 

• Like 1

Just now, Al Krow said:

So that's going to be your 5th OC-2 to add to your collection?! (Or have you moved some of your previous ones on?) You'll be catching up with @Sibob shortly - I think he's got a current herd of seven or NINE or something!

Ha. You have sharp eyes. Yes 5. I've got 3 on 3 separate boards and one floating around for recording and messing on with. I've also now modded two of them which is cool. But this one is boxed so y'know thats cool!

I've had and moved on:

Bannana - issues as noted

Markbass SS - editing URGH

EHX Microosynth - too monophonic for me at the time but would like to try again

Currently using:

OC2

Chunk systems Octavius Squeezer (such an editing nightmare but some of the sounds....oh boy!)

Gojira 8ve pedal - dirty!

Prunes and Custard - dirtty in a fuzzy synthy kind of way

Currently trialing:

TWA great divide - jury currently out

Broughton synth voice - jury currently out

• Thanks 1

What was your issue with editing the Markbass SS? I love the fact that it has 12 programmable presets, which is going to make live use so much easier.

I've had the EHX BMS too and actually found it a little bland - didn't do anything spectacularly badly but nothing that well either. I thought this review by one of our BC'ers was very fair / balanced and confirmed my decision to move it on.

If you like Prunes and Custard, I'm surprised @Quatschmacher hasn't twisted your arm to get a Mastotron? (I think he's on commission 😂)

I've just come across the Valeton OC-10 (although they've been out a couple of years now). Blow me, it seems to get close to the OC-2!! It has a much smaller form factor, which is a plus if pedal board real estate is at a premium, and can be bought new for £59 plus P&P from PMT* - significantly cheaper than your typical £80 s/h OC-2. 

*There's one left on "sale" from this Japanese seller if you want to grab a bit of a discount (after PayPal exchange rate, 20% VAT and £12 UK handling charges have been added!)...I may have inadvertently just bought the other one they had in stock, which I can blame you for from posting your OC-2 clips! I'd best call it a day before I end up getting some other "knock off gear" pretending to be the real thing...

Edited by Al Krow

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I won’t have rumours started about me.......I only have 7 😇.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Haha 2

Multi-fx are they any good at being filters or synths?

As a starter on this topic here's some clips from my Zoom B3n (dry, up and down). I think it fares a lot better at up than down sweep - and certainly no match for my previous Aggie Filter Twin on down.

I added a little 'slapback' delay (52ms) to add a little flavouring.

Signal path: Ibanez SR1800 --> Zoom B3n --> Nux Time Force (--> Boss RC-30 recording)

I'm really looking forward to hearing what @GisserD can do on his Helix HX on both the filter and synth front, and I know @dannybuoy has been raving about how good his B3n is as a synth so I'll let him upload some clips on that score!

Zoom B3n Dry.WAV

Zoom B3n Up.WAV

Zoom B3n Down.WAV

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, Merlino said:

Here's my super-funky & super-juicy mini-board 

20190406_145927.jpg

7 minutes ago, Merlino said:

The Funk Lite is my favorite at the moment.

But it's really hard to compare with the Fwonkbeta, because the Mr Black is insane, it has a terrific resonance and it is pure funky.

The Funk Lite has a really tight sweet spot, and almost a single useful sound: but that sound is amazing.

I'll try to describe the differences between the 3 pedals, but I apologize for my english (it's not my first language), and I'll try to communicate only my impression in a band situation, because at home the Fwonkbeta still unbeatable.

I personally use the Funk Lite for all the syncopated 16th notes stuff, I set the knobs at 9 o'clock (and eventually put the "freq" nob at 11) and I literally "play the filter" with a syncopated short note right hand pattern: in this setting it's the best filter you could try, present, effective, and really good sounding. It plays really good with octavers, but I definitely don't like it with slap technique.

The Fwonkbeta is my go to envelope when I need a super juicy, insanely resonant and rich autowah sound, I like the responsiveness but it's really hard to control due it's tendency to generate big volume spikes.

The Wonderlove it's a really great pedal, very versatile and I use it with all my slap stuff and with the Doom in parallel mode for the synth-style stuff.

So I use them for 3 distinct purposes, and with them I have my MXR BEF definitely out of the board

Cheers!

Great couple of posts, thanks Merlino! Prompted me to give this little thread a bump.

Don't know whether you might be able to upload a couple of clips so we can hear how your are using the Funk Lite, Fwonkbeta and Wonderlove?

8 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Don’t be afraid to turn that Fwonk control down to around 9 o’clock to tame those spikes. Unlike most filters it’s still pretty damn squelchy with the resonance set low!

That’s exactly what I found. I had one and thought it was great. However I could get all the sounds and more with the Enigma. 

3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

That’s exactly what I found. I had one and thought it was great. However I could get all the sounds and more with the Enigma. 

The Enigma will be my next filter, I'm really intrigued by its versatility

I use the Fwonkbeta with "Stroke" and "Juice" almost fixed and I set the Fwonk to catch the right sound, but honestly I don't set it so low... I'll give it a try! Thanks!!!

2 hours ago, Merlino said:

The Enigma will be my next filter, I'm really intrigued by its versatility

I use the Fwonkbeta with "Stroke" and "Juice" almost fixed and I set the Fwonk to catch the right sound, but honestly I don't set it so low... I'll give it a try! Thanks!!!

Enigma is the only analogue filter I have left after my big filter binge and subsequent purge. 

40 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Enigma is the only analogue filter I have left after my big filter binge and subsequent purge. 

You still have the Manta right (appreciate that is digital)?

3 hours ago, Merlino said:

I use the Fwonkbeta with "Stroke" and "Juice" almost fixed and I set the Fwonk to catch the right sound, but honestly I don't set it so low...

I'm with you on not setting the Fwonk so low (and don't have an issue with spikes, but there again I have a limiter at the end of my chain).

My current preferred setting is:

Filter - Fwonk I.jpg

Edited by Al Krow

I keep the Juice usually maxed, never below 3 o'clock, Stroke around 11 o'clock depending on the instrument, Fwonk anywhere between 10 and 2 depending on how much pork I've eaten on that particular day.

It just has a slightly dirty sound like it's running into a cranked vintage amp that's hard to replicate by combining amp sims or dirt with other filters. The only thing I've heard that sounds similar is a vintage Mutron III, although I'm yet to actually get my hands on one!

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

You still have the Manta right (appreciate that is digital)?

Yes, I do.

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

It just has a slightly dirty sound like it's running into a cranked vintage amp that's hard to replicate by combining amp sims or dirt with other filters. The only thing I've heard that sounds similar is a vintage Mutron III, although I'm yet to actually get my hands on one!

Q-Tron and Enigma have that vibe too; not surprising as Mike Beigel also designed those. 

5 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Interesting,

Has anyone tried the Micro-Tron III? It's another envelope that intrigues me

44 minutes ago, Merlino said:

Has anyone tried the Micro-Tron III? It's another envelope that intrigues me

Yes @GisserD did. But I can tell you now his all time favourite filter is the MXR BEF and that he didn't keep the Micro-Tron III (although he hasn't tried the Fwonkbeta yet - I'll need to lend him mine at some point :) )

3 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

On another note, I may soon be able to contribute some recordings as I’m aiming to set up my audio interface today. 

Excellent! What set up are using?

6 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

... Fwonk anywhere between 10 and 2 depending on how much pork I've eaten on that particular day.

😂🤣

To me, the Enigma and the newer Mutrons don't have 'it', they sound too clean. The old Mini Q-Tron does though, that's a great filter apart from the volume boost.

The Emma Discombobulator is another one I'm keeping - it's brighter and more subtle then the Fwonk, but that means it works really well going into overdrive/distortion, sounding more like a wah.

Edited by dannybuoy

9 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

To me, the Enigma and the newer Mutrons don't have 'it', they sound too clean. The old Mini Q-Tron does though, that's a great filter apart from the volume boost.

The Emma Discombobulator is another one I'm keeping - it's brighter and more subtle then the Fwonk, but that means it works really well going into overdrive/distortion, sounding more like a wah.

Well dB that's interesting to hear. However the entry fee for sharing such insights on this thread is a couple of clips I believe? 😁

And I know you have the tech to do it! :) 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Yes @GisserD did. But I can tell you now his all time favourite filter is the MXR BEF and that he didn't keep the Micro-Tron III (although he hasn't tried the Fwonkbeta yet - I'll need to lend him mine at some point :) )

I had the MXR BEF in my board for about 2 years, and it's great. Probably the only filter I've tried that gave me a good finger and slap sound without changing any set.

After 2 years I've decided to put it out of the pedalboard to try something different, but the BEF is in its box and it will stay with me.

At the moment I'm a bit tired of its super-bubble sound, but honestly it works great in a really dense band mix.

Maybe I'm wrong but the Wonderlove can nail more different kind of envelope sounds (qwacky, bubbling, etc), but it has the defect that it still alway too polite, subtle in a kind of sense. Now that I have different filters and I can compare them, honestly I'm really impressed by the wonderlove. Surely it's not so versatile as the Enigma, but in future I'll surely try to compare them.

• Like 1