Why become a member? ×

The Twins

Christine

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

These are looking really good, Christine.  What I love about a well applied clear coat is how it makes the underlying detail and form project out to the eye.  Just look at those headstocks!  And the quality of the top carves.  

It's a great looking spray job, but what that is illuminating is the quality of the build underneath.  Top drawer stuff :) 

Flattery will get you everywhere! :laugh1: Thank you that is very kind, especially from you. The carves have turned out well but remember that sander I recommended? ;) That did most of the work for me, they really are the bee's knees, I would have turned it into a piece of Treen before I got that smooth and flowing by hand!

Now drawers, I can speak with confidence about those, basses, I just try my best and learn from people like you :)

• Like 1

So after that little disaster I continued spraying through the day, cutting back with 800 grit between coats, the cutting back became easier and easier as the day went on. I got a total of 6 coats on which is more than enough for one day, they will be left now until Friday and I'll have a good look at them then and decide if that is enough or do they need more, they are looking very good at the moment but I'll see how they react to a bit of time to let some thinners evaporate or whatever it does

Cut back after 3 coats today
IMG_5214.

This was the fourth coat, starting to look good I thing :) IMG_5215.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Christine said:

So after that little disaster I continued spraying through the day, cutting back with 800 grit between coats, the cutting back became easier and easier as the day went on. I got a total of 6 coats on which is more than enough for one day, they will be left now until Friday and I'll have a good look at them then and decide if that is enough or do they need more, they are looking very good at the moment but I'll see how they react to a bit of time to let some thinners evaporate or whatever it does

Cut back after 3 coats today
IMG_5214.

This was the fourth coat, starting to look good I thing :) IMG_5215.

Those are going to look stunning when they are finished. You have some lovely curves going on there

• Like 1

"It's so... black!" said Ford Prefect. "You can hardly make out its shape... light just seems to fall into it!"
The blackness of it was so extreme that it was almost impossible to tell how close you were standing to it.
"Your eyes just slide off it..." said Ford in wonder.

• Like 1

Just now, Zalastar said:

"It's so... black!" said Ford Prefect. "You can hardly make out its shape... light just seems to fall into it!"
The blackness of it was so extreme that it was almost impossible to tell how close you were standing to it.

That's my Fender JB Special... 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Zalastar said:

Great quote from Douglas Adams.

Interestingly, he seems to have predicted the creation of Vantablack.

"In addition to directly growing aligned carbon nanotubes, Vantablack is made into two sprayable paints with randomly-oriented nanotubes, Vantablack S-VIS and Vantablack S-IR with better infrared absorption than the former. These paints require a special license, a temperature of 100–280 °C, and vacuum post-processing"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Great quote from Douglas Adams.

Interestingly, he seems to have predicted the creation of Vantablack.

"In addition to directly growing aligned carbon nanotubes, Vantablack is made into two sprayable paints with randomly-oriented nanotubes, Vantablack S-VIS and Vantablack S-IR with better infrared absorption than the former. These paints require a special license, a temperature of 100–280 °C, and vacuum post-processing"

Holy Cow Batman, that is Blaaaaaaaakkkkkk.....

The Wikipedia pics look like they have been created in Photoshop by removing portions of the image, they just look odd. (the cynic in me is hoping that that isn't how they were made?)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zalastar said:

Holy Cow Batman, that is Blaaaaaaaakkkkkk.....

The Wikipedia pics look like they have been created in Photoshop by removing portions of the image, they just look odd. (the cynic in me is hoping that that isn't how they were made?)

Excuse the diversion - They're genuine.  They were shown on a BBC feature either on the News or the shortened version of BBC Click, I forget which.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

I’m giving up. My partscasters will only ever look like cheap imitations and amateurish scrawlings after seeing this level of quality. Grump.

:D

Don't be daft!!  at least you won't be terrified of gigging it :laugh1:

But thanks :)

30 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Please tell me that you are going to do two fretless fives and that I can have one for displaying such an impressive beard.

That's a beard? I thought it was something off a Pink Floyd album cover :laugh1:

No, I want to do a fretless sometime but I want to do some Thunderbird type things or Fire Dragons as they're going to be called.

• Haha 1