Why become a member? ×

The Twins

Christine

46 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

That is a cracking finish - looks like glass!

One of the benefits of leaving the finish 12 months to harden, you get that little bit extra shine, hardly noticeable but I think you do get it, of course that may well be me trying to find the good in having left them for so long :laugh1:

I'm not liking the random angles at all but I do like these two, there is plenty of room around the G even for my fat fingers on the angled one. However I think the angled one for me works better on the headstock but the square works better on the bass as a whole

IMG_1618.thumb.jpg.ef8a59d0a5addc6758746533da564afb.jpg

IMG_1619.thumb.jpg.c05685a57eedaef3c42672423e4c516d.jpg

• Like 1

Moving on this is the wiring diagram I'm using, I've got the Freeway 3x3 switch which will give me neck, neck/bridge and bridge either through the pots or direct to the amp. The pots are CTS long shafts with a linear on the tone and a vintage log on the volume, well they are so far anyway

free-waydiagram.thumb.jpg.c1edd377a6ca2c9f7bba888a23f46b92.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Mmm...that last angled one does look quite nice. Out of interest, what would it look like if the angles followed the centre line of the machine heads sort of like this:

Like this?

IMG_1621.thumb.jpg.a4be6cb5c69535da46de2401fc99cd15.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, owen said:

Never mind the angles, get a load of that hi-fi!

I was going to mention that!  Jealous.  I still have to protect my modest set up from my small children.  Damn dome tweeters all pushed in.  Why do they feel the need to do that?!?!?

Back on topic, I vote straight.  But go with your heart, Christine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, owen said:

From the days when we had a lot of disposable income. I don't know how many feel the same but one of the things about playing music with other people is that when you listen to music at home it lacks so much clarity and dynamics.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Christine said:

From the days when we had a lot of disposable income. I don't know how many feel the same but one of the things about playing music with other people is that when you listen to music at home it lacks so much clarity and dynamics.

You need to crank it up to live band volumes... :D

But back on topic; to me machine heads that point away from you, when the bass is strapped on you, seems a bit illogical. Not really practical for tuning.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bartelby said:

But back on topic; to me machine heads that point away from you, when the bass is strapped on you, seems a bit illogical. Not really practical for tuning.

I do find myself in agreement with this. I would go for functionality over aesthetics in this regard. 

• Like 1

The only way you can find out if the arrangement of tuners is functional is to actually try them both sitting down and with the bass on a variety of different length straps. While having the tuners pointing towards the body of the bass might look more practical and ergonomic, IME it doesn't actually make any difference from a functional PoV.

As a designer I think the problem stems from the fact that the current design has the post for the D-string tuner too close to the end of the headstock, and with the tuners on straight, the tuner key sticks out beyond the end of the headstock on that side which doesn't look right. When you were designing the headstock shape did you visualise it with the tuners in place?

If you are going to use this headstock shape on future designs I would either make the offset less extreme or move the D-string tuner slightly closer to the nut.

16 hours ago, owen said:

I was biting my tongue.  That turntable looks incredible.  I always wanted one with a granite plinth with a glass platter.  They must cost thousands now.  I daren't look.

16 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Damn dome tweeters all pushed in.  Why do they feel the need to do that?!?!?

We've had to guard ours from four grandchildren so far.  Near as I can make out, it's because they look vaguely like nipples

• Haha 2

I fitted the pickup risers to one of the twins and fitted the pickups, put the pots in and the knobs etc but they haven't been soldered yet

I made some truss rod covers using a little jig for the router table.

Roughly made the nut, I got the approximate fret height buy splitting a wide pencil as below and used that to mark a line, I undercut the lead a little to make the line a little high. I filed it to shape and then cut the slots with nut files before.

IMG_1628.thumb.jpg.54958a589601695184fd13a72a56d7d0.jpg

IMG_1629.thumb.jpg.27ee8d2f742a7873b7040d66b8d8daf0.jpg

IMG_1630.thumb.jpg.b9f3c7a2b0bd3c418952a02fe9665b3d.jpg

I decided on the final machine head positions, I flipped them over and had them straight. Lastly I put some strings on but that's about it for today, it's nowhere near set up.

IMG_1633.thumb.jpg.7aa989f36c985addc439a7e38a681c19.jpg

IMG_1632.thumb.jpg.ded8f0095792df36d066e5a9cf949944.jpg

I have one small problem, i think I have put the tail piece of the bridge a few mm to far back as the silk of the strings is sitting in the nut, any ideas how I can sort that other than trimming the silk slightly? Longer strings are an option I suppose

IMG_1626.jpg

Edited by Christine
Picyures out of place
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Christine said:

I have one small problem, i think I have put the tail piece of the bridge a few mm to far back as the silk of the strings is sitting in the nut, any ideas how I can sort that other than trimming the silk slightly?

I know what you mean regarding the silk on strings. I found a bit of variation between different manufacturers. There are some makes of strings that don't have silk on them which might be a way to go (I've got a few sets knocking around - I'll check which ones don't have silk). If you post the distance between the ball end and silk, I'll measure some other sets with silks to see what they come in at.

• Thanks 1