Why become a member? ×

The Twins

Christine

39 minutes ago, cLepto-bass said:

Not normally a fan of the Les Paul bass (or guitar for that matter) but these builds are captivating. 

I am but I do see where you're coming from, the standard Les Paul bass leaves me cold; I've never actually seen an oversized in the flesh but I really love how these are turning out. They're not exact copies by a long shot but credit where it's due to Gibson, I think they got it right with this design aesthetically but as always when it comes to basses they stopped making them in favour of the standard again

• Like 1

Limped into the workshop again today for a couple of hours. I just roughed out the back of the necks to a flat D, I'll finish them off to a C either tomorrow or Tuesday. My hand is sore as well after rubbing on my crutches while I'm walking so it's causing me discomfort while using hand tools; not a happy bunny on the whole at the moment :(

IMG_5159.

IMG_5160.

IMG_5161.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Christine said:

My hand is sore as well after rubbing on my crutches

I was tempted , but i decided it was too obvious :)

Carry on Christine - the world is watching these incredible axes

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

I was tempted , but i decided it was too obvious :)

Carry on Christine - the world is watching these incredible axes

My inner child sniggered until it snorted when I read that original post. However, I also restrained myself from posting an obvious innuendo. Hold on. Curses! I appear to have been hoisted by my own petard :( 

Move on :)

Not done a huge amount today, just finished of carving the necks, oh to be that slim!

Even a bit of work with the rasp around the heel, most of the general shaping was with spokeshaves and a block plane with a little bit with a cabinet scraper once in a while when I needed more control of what I was removing when the grain was adverse and only wanted to tear no matter how I worked, sometimes a problem with laminated bits

IMG_5162.

IMG_5164.

• Like 2

Lots of post today, 5ltrs clear gloss nitro, 5ltrs thinner, 5ltrs acetone (nail varnish remover ::)) 1ltr anti bloom thinners, 25oml black nitro, 400ml black grain filler, 400ml clear grain filler so won't be long and it will be in use me thinks :)

Edited by Christine
  • Like 2

Had a good day in the shop today, nothing really to show for it but here what I did. Scraped the sides of the second body flush with the binding, finished the shape sanding of the tops which hopefully will give a nice smooth flow to the gloss when it goes on. Finally I cleaned up the control cavities and made a start on fitting the pots, I gave up because I needed to go out but I'm most of the way through cutting angled seats for the pots to sit on to keep the barrels perpendicular with the top curves.

I also stuck a piece of binding to a bit of Mahogany and sanded it so I could test how the black grain filler behaves on the plastic binding, as it will it stain it or will it clean up easily during sanding. We'll see in the morning

IMG_5165.

Well I sanded the test piece from yesterday and there is a hint of greyness to the binding, easily sorted, I'll spray sanding sealer before grain filling fingers crossed that will keep me good. Even if not it was only a hint, it shouldn't be a problem.

IMG_5166.

Beyond that I've been sanding and scraping, on my hands and knees looking for a nut off my mega expensive Freeway switch which I dropped and it rolled all the way to the back wall under my bench finding it's way past all the junk under there... HOW? I also routed the radius on the rear of the body but that is still unsanded

I also drilled out for the jack sockets and rebated one of the jack plate in, I'll do the other in the morning. I'm aiming for getting a couple of coats of sanding sealer over the tops tomorrow if I can so I can get the grain filling started before the weekend

IMG_5170.

• Like 3

I think I overdid it yesterday, my foot was hurting again this morning but hey... it's getting close to the good bit now and I'm getting excited (I live a sheltered life :) )

First job was to cut the other jack plate recess. Then time for the final sanding, I sanded the back and sides down to 240 grit and the tops down to 180 grit; I did explain this before but just in case: Sanding with too fine a grit can lead to forming ripples where the sandpaper removes softer wood faster than the harder wood. Given that on Mahogany it is very unlikely you'll be able to see sanding marks from 240 grit I stopped there. The tops are getting grain filled and painted so there was no need to be too fussy, nothing will ever be seen even if I stopped at 80 grit. I also masked off the neck joint, I did a double layer just in case some spray got in there.

After that and still before breakfast mind, such is my enthusiasm! I sprayed the first coat of sanding sealer from a rattle can as I was just feeling too lazy to set up the compressor. after an hour and breakfast I sanded them and sprayed another coat and left to dry off for a couple of hours. Then I cut them back right up to the banding so they were smooth but leaving the bindings straight from the can for protection against the grain filler. I masked the sides just for general tidiness then put on the first coat and wiped it smooth and went to sit down for a few hours. The destructions say 4 hours so that's what I gave them before cutting back with 240 grit again, It all looked good other than a couple of patches I wasn't sure about but either way they got a second coat of grain filler along with the headstocks, I did those too (forgot).

That's it now until tomorrow, sand them back, give them a thorough inspection and maybe get the spraygun out and put the black on if I have the time

IMG_5171.

IMG_5173.

IMG_5174.

IMG_5176.

IMG_5178.

IMG_5179.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Spray ?  Oh good grief !

You covering that delicious wood ?   No !!!   May a thousand fleas infest your undies draw. 

Stain yes, varnish, yes - paint ?  Arggghhh

:)

I think you need to re read the first post :laugh1: Only the front is painted, besides it's not a lice looking bit of wood I used for both of them, I chose it with the intention of painting from the off. Actually the whole bass(es) were originally going to be all black but I had my arm twisted