Why become a member? ×

The Twins

Christine

27 minutes ago, Christine said:

I've not had time but I will get on with them first thing into the new year, I had them out yesterday for the first time in ages and they're rock hard so all they need is a rub down and a polish a couple of blobs of solder and they will be done

Hurray!  Can't wait. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Christine said:

You're so impatient, really!! :laugh1:

Honza isn’t the only one. I also thought I’d missed something on this build. Now we’ve had a thread resurrection, desperation for updates will be on the increase. 😉

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Finally, new year must be out of the way!! Deepest apologies, we're been on an extended trip over the channel and just got back, aching and tired after many months in a campervan but it was an adventure of a lifetime.

Back to the twins, well after 12 months the nitro is as you might expect rock hard, so both were rubbed down with 600, 800, 1200, 2000 and 2500 grit then buffed with a sponge buffing pad on my sander with Farcell G10 polishing compound

IMG_1604.thumb.jpg.950b54ae5bc0a6371fb4d2f30725b9be.jpg

The next job was some cavity shielding, a laugh a minute activity!!

IMG_1598.thumb.jpg.c4d64c4c4543d0268cc5ebe2ac6e69c4.jpg

IMG_1599.thumb.jpg.5f755351da3c333a8b4ccce6871cafd1.jpg

That was Thursday and Friday's work, this morning I started work on the frets but unfortunately a job I can't (or won't) finish as I seem to have mislaid my fret end bevelling widget (a new Crimson one on order).

First job was adjusting the truss rod to flatten the fret tops as best I could using a straight edge and a bit of thin paper as a feeler gauge until it was averaging out straight. Then I marked the fret tops with black permanent marker before filing them flat

IMG_1600.thumb.jpg.0134b4194f90e5a1a3679051e5804504.jpg

IMG_1601.thumb.jpg.8ceb3889ced18d813f5515ce26aebd8f.jpg

I filed evenly over the curve of the fret tops until the lowest fret just had some light scratches on it's top, it always amazes me how some frets can end up so low and some so high despite being very careful to fit them perfectly

IMG_1602.thumb.jpg.2beb4f11ad65f6dc7683f93c3da8c089.jpg

Then I re blacked the fret tops before crowning them again, I use a magnifying visor to help me see the work in progress until I see just the faintest remnants of the levelling file marks at 90 degrees to the crowning file marks before one last pass to clean them up. Then I used a fret rocker in three positions across the width of the frets and it's whole length just to be sure the frets are still level before cleaning up the whole fretboard with scotchbrite before a quick coat of Lemon oil.

IMG_1605.thumb.jpg.c5fa0d4874697c5e6bdc1ef960f45609.jpg

When my new fret end widget arrives I'll dress the ends and polish up the frets.

Next job was to fit the nut, which was simply a matter of cleaning up the nut slot with a sharp chisel, sanding the nut to size (I really must get one of those clever gadgets to help you sand nuts), popping it into place for now until the frets are finished.

IMG_1608.thumb.jpg.f53aee9e0a6c68b40208b53021e65c7b.jpg

IMG_1609.thumb.jpg.43bf7ae9b3d8df858c56d1b60b22dc16.jpg

Well that's it for a day or so for the twins now off to resume the finishing of the Triplets

• Like 8

I've been spraying two of the triplets mostly today but I had a fiddle with the twins

I fitted the bridge and put the earthing wires to both parts, I also put the machine heads in place but I haven't screwed them in place yet, I thought I'd ask opinion on the angle of them. I think they should be square as they are but it struck me they could look good angled too, what do you guys think?

IMG_1610.thumb.jpg.34ba511e9f4b2ad2901f98cca728bd63.jpg

IMG_1612.thumb.jpg.cbdd0b5c3ba52b1d54f605d8ad43849d.jpg

Edited by Christine
  • Like 2

I've seen a few basses (and guitars) mainly with the machine heads in a line where they aren't perfectly aligned and your eye can be drawn to any misalignment. I fitted some new Sperzel machine heads (that have a locator pin rather than screws) to a friends Telecaster neck and I took several attempts to get these aligned so they looked completely right.

These basses are real quality and I think perfectly square machine heads just finish them off. But, that's just my opinion!!

• Like 1

1) no - that G string too close to the pointy bit on the headstock and the A string too close the other way

2) no - just looks like you forgot to do the bolts up. I have a headstock in my shed that looks a bit like that! (but worse as there are 12 of them)

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

Because the headstock is asymmetric to the centreline of the neck, I’d go with the Warwick style angled back towards the player option. 

For me, the other options look haphazard and misaligned. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JPJ said:

Because the headstock is asymmetric to the centreline of the neck, I’d go with the Warwick style angled back towards the player option. 

Yeah, that's that I think too.

7 hours ago, JPJ said:

Ah...vive la difference! xD

Because to my eye, it is the asymmetry that throws my eye on the angled ones!  In the absence of other symmetry, my eye looks to the lines parallel to the nut of the straight ones.

Which is odd, because I never do symmetrical headstocks on my own builds and often angle the tuners.  But there's something about this particular shape that throws it a bit.

And by the way, @Christine , that is a truly splendid headstock job...

• Like 1

Square for me. To my eye, they just "get out of the way" visually and don't detract from the headstock itself. Any other alignment draws my eye to the tuners - I find myself looking to see what they are aligned with. Square enhances the headstock shape, in my book.

• Like 2