Why become a member? ×

The Twins

Christine

MK beats all in terms of number of roundabouts, and i admit i've been lost there because every street looks like a clone of all the others, but for sheer madness,

Swindon takes the biscuit.  It's called the Magic Roundabout because it's sheer magic if you can get through it

ueJVCok.jpg

1 minute ago, fleabag said:

MK beats all in terms of number of roundabouts, and i admit i've been lost there because every street looks like a clone of all the others, but for sheer madness,

Swindon takes the biscuit.  It's called the Magic Roundabout because it's sheer magic if you can get through it

ueJVCok.jpg

It does sort of work when you are there though. I drove through it without realising it was the ‘famous’ roundabout the first time.

28 minutes ago, fleabag said:

ueJVCok.jpg

That never ceases to shock me, I would just go to pieces trying to get across that

First time I went over this (soon after it was put in so wasn't aware of it in advance) it was pelting down with rain and none of the white lines or arrows were visible.  I was vaguely aware of going over what I took to be speedbumps (in reality, the mini roundabout circles) and went round it like a standard roundabout.

Swindon kindly stopped to let me through.  xD

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

You were lucky.  Wait till  you get there next time and there's a few brain dead motorists all on it at once and you'll see

Done it a few times (have a mate who lives that way on), never had a problem. I think people seem to be more wary because it is complicated. Far better than trying to navigate the one way bits in Nottingham!

Four more coats of gloss on the tops again today, I put the first two on with standard thinners and the last two with anti bloom to let the last coat flow a bit better. After about half an hour I pulled the masking tape of the fretboards. I think they are good now, they certainly look good (as in blemish free), the anti bloom should have gassed off well by tomorrow so I'll have a good look then to see if they are really done but I'm quietly confident tonight.

So for the first time here's a hint of the finished things, once I'm happy they are good I'll grab a quick picture upright before hanging them up for a week or two to fully harden

IMG_5217.

Edited by Christine
  • Like 4

Last update for a while, here's the twins upright on stands just to get a better look at how they look. They are now hanging in an old wardrobe until they have hardened enough to be safe to handle without risk of marking the lacquer, somewhere between a week and eight weeks, I really don't know until they get there.

IMG_5219.

IMG_5220.

• Like 7

I can appreciate the neck angle quite well from those last images.

Not having played that style of bass I wonder if it adds comfort to have the body tucked back under your picking hand.  Up to eight weeks or more 'till they see hardware; that's the bit that some home builders would struggle with, myself included.  Of course, experience would teach most of us to wait if only we got to make as much stuff.  It's great to have a forum like this where those with the experience demonstrate their skill as if in real time and have no problem rubbing shoulders with Johnny Come-Latelys such as myself.

Cheers Christine.

For now I've got to wait while they gestate.  Harumph!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

I can appreciate the neck angle quite well from those last images.

Not having played that style of bass I wonder if it adds comfort to have the body tucked back under your picking hand.  Up to eight weeks or more 'till they see hardware; that's the bit that some home builders would struggle with, myself included.  Of course, experience would teach most of us to wait if only we got to make as much stuff.  It's great to have a forum like this where those with the experience demonstrate their skill as if in real time and have no problem rubbing shoulders with Johnny Come-Latelys such as myself.

Cheers Christine.

For now I've got to wait while they gestate.  Harumph!

The neck angle is  nice, it puts your hands in a more natural position, the two basses I mostly play are one of my Tbirds and my Jazz, when I swap between them it is very noticeable. To me and I know we're all different and of different opinions, actually I'm not going there but I feel like shimming the Jazz neck and bridge to give it some neck angle, I won't because it will make a mess of the screw holes in the neck and do more harm than good.

Patience my .....! I'm dying to get them sanded and polished and some hardware on them, it's all I can do not the put the bridge and tuners on just to get them looking something like :laugh1:

Moving on to the next build: I did post a question in the forums but no replys. It was this:

Hiya, I really need to find some of these stopbars, I don't want the bridge; they need to be screw in not the ones with inserts ala Gibson. Preferably from the UK :)

image.png.ed85de244e784061bcb83f4762df40b2.png

Anyone have any ideas where I might find them?

I really could do with finding one asap so I can at least draw out my next builds, I plan on using it with the Warwick bridge but I want a more traditional tailpiece but until I know I can get one I can't proceed, I've looked high and low which is annoying because I have seen them somewhere, maybe in the States but any port in a storm :)

Edited by Christine

4 minutes ago, JPJ said:

Thanks, I have seen those but I really don't want a bridge that uses those inserts or has no individual vertical saddle adjustment. To me a bridge needs to be screwed down firmly and solid as a rock but with full adjustment. The best I have found is the Hipshot D style but I can't find one of those in the UK and importing is just too expensive for me with duty etc.