Why become a member? ×

The Twins

Christine

While we're waiting for Christine, I thought I'd share my effort. Not hijacking this wonderful build, this is just for a joke.

Rather than build a bass, I though I'd build a case for my bass. The wood almost fits. Just needed some old bits of wood, a saw, hammer & nails. Don't know what all the fuss is about.

DSC04422.JPG

DSC04425.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fryer said:

While we're waiting for Christine, I thought I'd share my effort. Not hijacking this wonderful build, this is just for a joke.

Rather than build a bass, I though I'd build a case for my bass. The wood almost fits. Just needed some old bits of wood, a saw, hammer & nails. Don't know what all the fuss is about.

DSC04422.JPG

DSC04425.JPG

Did you give your bass the last rites before you put it in the 'case'? 😋

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, fryer said:

DSC04422.JPG

DSC04425.JPG

Waiting for me? I do hope you're not holding your breath :laugh1:

Ideal case for a Gothic Thunderbird :)

On 13/08/2018 at 19:40, fryer said:

DSC04422.JPG

DSC04425.JPG

That bass is epic...!

4 hours ago, fryer said:

I'll do a separate build diary ( while we wait for Christine )

Looking good, it might be something I'll be copying for my next build, I doubt I'll find cases for them. OOH yes, next build, the wood in in the shop and as soon as my foot is better I'll be starting them :)

Well the twins a re a week in and still need a lot more drying, sorry

On 10/08/2018 at 15:36, RichardH said:

There's a magic roundabout in Hemel Hempstead as well, though having used both, I think the Swindon one takes the biscuit....

(Fab work on the Les Pauls, Christine!!)

being a Hemel boy I always preferred our version...much more civilised, a river through the middle and everything!!

plough island.jpg

Edited by Oopsdabassist
apologies for hijacking the thread!
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, fleabag said:

Or that nasty knot in a lump of wood  ?  Bet you've had to deal with a few of those bar stewards  :shok:

Believe it or not (knot) no, never, well not in any wood I have actually used hand tools on; occasionally one have been through the planer but has been left out of any wood that actually gets used

On 22/06/2018 at 18:25, Christine said:

IMG_4050.

IMG_4052.

Christine, I've been inspired by your amazing amazing twins to try MOP blocks (and binding) on my next build.  I'm trying to work out how blocks and binding will affect my normal workflow.  One of my concerns was using a fretboard radius jig after having cut the holes for the blocks.  Looking at the pictures it looks a really clean job, but did you have any problems with tearout?  I'm using a rosewood board.  Did you get any tearout as the router bit went over the channels for the blocks?

Thanks!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, honza992 said:

Christine, I've been inspired by your amazing amazing twins to try MOP blocks (and binding) on my next build.  I'm trying to work out how blocks and binding will affect my normal workflow.  One of my concerns was using a fretboard radius jig after having cut the holes for the blocks.  Looking at the pictures it looks a really clean job, but did you have any problems with tearout?  I'm using a rosewood board.  Did you get any tearout as the router bit went over the channels for the blocks?

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay, I had no tear out at all but I used shallow passes. What I have done this time radiusing fretboards was to just sand them and to be honest I prefer that way as I seemed to have much more control over the process, it only took 10 - 15 minutes each. Anyway if your using a router run it down the length of the board not along it rather than across and you should be fine and do three shallow passes rather than one deep one. Stop just short of your goal then fit the mother of pearl and sand the lot down as one. It's easier to do than say :laugh1:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, honza992 said:

Christine could I ask what glue (with sanding dust?) you used to glue in your blocks and how much pressure it needs? I would hate to have one crack. 

Thanks for your invaluable advice. 

I used medium CA and I only pushed them in place with a click. If you have small gaps that need filling with dust I would use epoxy and just press the blocks down with your fingers that will be plenty just leave it overnight to fully set before sanding flush and polishing. If the blocks are springing out then use something that will apply light pressure, just enough to hold them down, you don't want to crack the inlay by being over enthusiastic

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, honza992 said:

Christine, was there an update on these, or am I being blind and missed the grand finale?

I've not had time but I will get on with them first thing into the new year, I had them out yesterday for the first time in ages and they're rock hard so all they need is a rub down and a polish a couple of blobs of solder and they will be done

• Like 1