Why become a member? ×

Switching between EUB and electric bass while gigging

MrTea

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I'm not sure that a volume control on a pedal on the floor will necessarily be easier (for me anyway) to adjust than either on the amp or the bass (if it has one).

You don't adjust it! It's a 'screwhead' type adjustment on the side of the pedal, which you set in the studio, or perhaps during the soundcheck, purely to equalise the input signal from your two sources. After that, you never touch it again until you change the instruments you are working with.

My DB goes into channel #1, my electric bass into channel #2. So long as I was using the Mike Lull electric bass I had the channel #2 setting in one position. When I moved to the Ovation electric bass (with a hotter pickup) I had to move the channel #2 setting to another position. I won't alter it again until I decide to use a different electric bass in combination with the DB.

I can see that if adjusting a volume control on your bass or amp is going to be problematic,  you may need to spend £85 to £90 (if you're buying new) on either the LS2 or the Radial.

Fortunately both my EUB (and I think the OP's query was about an EUB rather than a DB?) and all my electric basses have easy to access volume knobs and I will often adjust these anyway "on the fly" (post sound check) depending on the particular set number, how full the dance floor is etc; so for me an additional volume knob on a pedal is pretty redundant.

I've just pulled the trigger on a £22 (new) Mooer which should (fingers crossed!) do everything I need.

PS it gets better - the Mooer can also operate without a power supply . You only need a 9V if you want the LED to light up telling you which bass you have on. Guess what: I suspect I'll manage to work that out pretty quickly :) So this can be an off board unpowered pedal should I ever need it to be, or be on board but not require powering. 

Edited by Al Krow

12 hours ago, owen said:

I just get my roadie to hand me the correct instrument and let him deal with that tedious backline malarky.

Ah to have a roadie!

I'm the oldest / second oldest member of my two bands. In addition to my bass gear I have the band PA to load / unload and am about to be responsible for the lighting rig. In one band just me and the drummer have cars. But I guess I shouldn't complain...maybe I've finally worked out why I have managed to keep my place in both bands! 😂

Edited by Al Krow

• 5 months later...

My regular gig, I switch between three basses... electric bass, electric fretless bass and electric upright... all through a Palmer trinity footswitch, each input has its own gain... out of the Palmer and into my Boss TU2 (can mute everything)... into my Acoustic Image Contra amp (DI’d to FOH)

Simple set up, no fuss, easy jump between my basses!  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I use one of these.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_aby_footswitch.htm

Nice blue light to let you know which channel is working; all pretty reliable thus far. Bass guitar goes via a line out from my wireless into one channel; EUB via Behringer Acoustic Modeller/DI into the other. All out into the Genz-Benz Streamliner.  When using the EUB, I switch out the Gain button to take the graunch (technical term!) out of proceedings.

44 minutes ago, mangotango said:

I use one of these.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_aby_footswitch.htm

Nice blue light to let you know which channel is working; all pretty reliable thus far. Bass guitar goes via a line out from my wireless into one channel; EUB via Behringer Acoustic Modeller/DI into the other. All out into the Genz-Benz Streamliner.  When using the EUB, I switch out the Gain button to take the graunch (technical term!) out of proceedings.

I use the same Fender ABY. For switching between fretless and fretted basses. One is active and the other passive though, so I need to change it for something with level controls for each channel. Same issue as you big-bass-playing folks.

Edited by Fionn

• 1 month later...

I double with upright and electric. Of course you can adjust the volume on your instrument, but the whole point of the AB pedal is to be able to make the quickest and easiest possible swaps. It suits me to have the adjustment on the pedal, so one less thing to think about in the scramble of laying down your upright and strapping on the guitar. And I prefer it on the front where you can see it (ie the green one - £100 from Thomann). I also like the indicator light although it messes with my OCD that the lights are the opposite way round to the inputs on the Bigshot.  

As posted previously Radial Tonebone is built like a tank. Totally reliable. I have previously used a "budget" option that made a click or pop when swapping channels. Not great when your going through the PA, or if its a quiet gig (eg theatre).

AB pedal is a boring piece of kit, but I'd always pay up for reliability and functionality.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some great advice re switching etc. To be honest, I use a silent plug lead to avoid pops and bangs and ramp up the gain on my amp for the EUB. Works fine for me. 

Probably worth touching on dealing with the difference in scale length between EUB and bass guitar.  It sometimes catches me out when I go back to bass guitar , ie hitting F sharp on the A string instead of E! Soon get acclimatised though!