Why become a member? ×

Tips for taming volume of acoustic drums?

Quick update.  Apparently there was a mature discussion about this in the pub last night (I know, I was amazed too!) and as a result the drummer is going to look into a number of things for the short term, including damping, different cymbals, alternative stick options, etc., so we seem to be headed in the right direction. 

He won't consider an electronic kit, but is going to look into the possibility of a hybrid kit as a longer term solution, though we need to sort out the cost implications of that first (I've already said that if we went that route I'd like to avoid adding subs and would prefer to get something like RCF 735s).

18 minutes ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

I've already said that if we went that route I'd like to avoid adding subs and would prefer to get something like RCF 735s

Sounds sensible. If the whole idea of having a hybrid kit is to use it when volume control is an issue then you're not going to be pushing huge volumes at the gigs where you use it. The 735s are really very good and will comfortably cope with a full band, including hybrid kit at reasonable levels.