Why become a member? ×

Nice Jap PB for Not Much

2 hours ago, discreet said:

Could be mine, too! Why don't you buy it for me and I'll pay you back... in Smarties. Wibble! :crazy:

I think your car will be full enough don't you? 

However, if you post them out one at a time (leaving out the blue ones), you may have a deal.

17 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

I think your car will be full enough don't you? 

However, if you post them out one at a time (leaving out the blue ones), you may have a deal.

Do you mean one tube at a time or one Smartie? If the latter, the postage to send tens of thousands of Smarties individually would cost far more than the bass!

It would be a novel method of hire purchase though... 

Edited by discreet

Unfortunately CITES affects import of rosewood (even on a 25 year-old bass) and unless both exporter & importer obtain & pay the fees for the correct paperwork - that's exactly what can happen now. I'd be very careful buying any instrument from outside the EU.

22 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Unfortunately CITES affects import of rosewood (even on a 25 year-old bass) and unless both exporter & importer obtain & pay the fees for the correct paperwork - that's exactly what can happen now. I'd be very careful buying any instrument from outside the EU.

Well that's peed on my chips. Thanks for the info, though. :)

It's a rubbish situation - I've heard about a guy who tried to import a 1981-ish rosewood top Washburn Falcon from Japan. Cost quite a bit, as you might expect. The seller did not complete the necessary CITES stuff and the guitar was duly impounded, and then destroyed. The buyer lost the instrument and the £1000-odd it cost him, with no means of compensation.

Some Japanese sellers claim to obtain the CITES export clearance - and they probably do - but as I understand it the buyer also needs to obtain seperate certification this end before it's legit. Not sure how it works & I'd recommend anyone going down the Ishibashi route these days to know exactly what they're getting into!

Luckily it only applies to rosewood & other endangered hardwood species - if you're fan of maple boards you shouldn't have much to worry about!

7 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Luckily it only applies to rosewood & other endangered hardwood species - if you're fan of maple boards you shouldn't have much to worry about!

I am a fan of maple boards. :) And I suppose if I wanted a rosewood board I'd be better off buying it in the UK and sidestep the CITES thing.

54 minutes ago, discreet said:

Well that's peed on my chips. Thanks for the info, though. :)

Never mind, your Limelights up for sale again. :D

Edited by Hobbayne

31 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

Never mind, your Limelights up for sale again. :D

Ha! I don't think I ever owned that one. Or the other one. :)

EDIT: No wait, I DID own the Dakota red one. Didn't recognise it because of the bloody tort guard and cream pickup covers... O.o

That's a truly great bass. But of course I don't have the readies for it, as usual. Tsk!

Edited by discreet