Why become a member? ×

Knob replacement help!

uk_lefty

Help!! I was trying to change knobs on my jazz... Removed the chrome ones that have been on for maybe six years and the rubber/ plastic inner has stayed firmly on the pot. I have given it a firm pull but don't want to tug too hard in case I break something... Photo to illustrate. Please help!!

IMG_20180522_105547.jpg

Grip with pliers lengthways down the shaft enough to grip and start moving the rubber and pull upwards. If not then use a stanley or other knife to cut away the rubber.

Two screwdrivers, one either side and twist them to start the rubber moving up the shaft.

• Like 1

The recommended approach is to position a piece of cord or edge of a cloth under the edge of the knob, (or the remaining insert), then pull the string/cloth upwards.

Don't punch yourself in the face when it goes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

The recommended approach is to position a piece of cord or edge of a cloth under the edge of the knob, (or the remaining insert), then pull the string/cloth upwards.

Don't punch yourself in the face when it goes!

You've seen me do DIY before then?

39 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

The recommended approach is to position a piece of cord or edge of a cloth under the edge of the knob, (or the remaining insert), then pull the string/cloth upwards

That's the way I do it with Strat knobs and those Gibson push ons but didn't find it worked so well on these inserts. :)

Guest MoJo

When I saw the thread title, I was expecting a 'I  now identify as a man' discussion, with a bent toward size and aesthetics advice

Edited by MoJo
Edited for spelling

Ok so can we get past all the "it just came off in my hand" etc etc but when I went to put on the new jazz bass knobs (fender authentic ones) I could only screw on the little tone knob (great nickname for a sound engineer), not the big volume knobs (great nicknames for guitarists). Seems the Allen key either didn't fit or something more suspect going on? 

Needless to say my big nobs won't be on display at tomorrow's gig

You might well find the bores not finished properly - especialy around the hole where the grub screw pokes through. I always twiddle a 1/4" reamer around the insides, making sure the screw is out of the way first, then they slide straight on. ¬¬

Cheerz, John