Why become a member? ×

paris gig

jrixn1

Has anyone gigged in central Paris? I've got three back-to-back nights at Le Caveau de la Huchette later in the year with a 10-piece swing & jump blues band.

I live in London.  My options seem to be to drive there with my upright bass, or take the train with a bass ukulele.

It would be really lovely to have the upright - but I'm wondering about the hassle of driving, unloading, and parking my van in central Paris.  I'd imagine it wouldn't be that fun.  I've not driven to Europe before. Anyone have experiences to share?

Edited by jrixn1

Driving through Europe is fine. I find it harder to readjust back to driving on the left, than adjusting to driving on the right.

As for driving in Paris, it's not something I've attempted. But plan a few different routes to your destination and allow a lot of extra time. Does the venue not have parking you could leave the van?

I may be biased as I have lived and worked on the continent but it’s a doddle. Even the famous Arc de Triumph is nowhere near as bad as people would have you believe. The only proviso I would put on Paris is not to take anything fragile vehicle wise that you are precious about. Bump parking is the norm and most cars and vans that you see have a myriad of small dents.

Edited by T-Bay
Typo

Did a gig in central Paris with my band. Took a Transit and a car, and didn’t have any problems - no worse than any other major city anyway. Agree with the comment above regarding bump parking though - saw evidence of it a lot. Check that you have what you need for driving in France now -spare bulbs, reflective jackets, warning triangle etc. Also an updated sat nav, and check if you need the recently introduced ‘Clean Air’ stickers for your vehicle. 

3 hours ago, casapete said:

Did a gig in central Paris with my band. Took a Transit and a car, and didn’t have any problems - no worse than any other major city anyway. Agree with the comment above regarding bump parking though - saw evidence of it a lot. Check that you have what you need for driving in France now -spare bulbs, reflective jackets, warning triangle etc. Also an updated sat nav, and check if you need the recently introduced ‘Clean Air’ stickers for your vehicle. 

Good advice, check your requirements here.

I'd be going Uke, and having a more relaxed time...unless you feel the double bass and its presence on stage is an essential element to the gig.  I'm sure if you asked your fellow band members they would all say double bass.  To act as a balance to this,  just roughly work out the real costs to you of driving/parking vs train. I've always found it easier to get reimbursed for tickets than personal miles and parking.   

Played a few times in Paris....Rex Club.....New Morning Club....FNAC department store

Make sure you've always got your ID on you and do not loiter...we were frisked by the police while hanging around waiting for our tour manager

Edited by Twigman
  • Thanks 1

Drew Davies is a UK expatriot band leader who's played the Caveau for years. Might be worth dropping him a line.

TBH, as a punter I'd feel shortchanged if a Swing/Jump band skimped and brought a uke (both for the sound and the look), but the club seems to attract more dancers than chin-strokers so you might get away with it.

Edited by NewDad

Guest Jecklin

Definitely take the double bass :)

Go by Eurostar!

20quid for you bass which travels in a rack in a special wagon. I have a friend who traveled to paris and there were 3 basses in wagon in total.

Nice chats were had when the players collected their instruments in Paris - one french player returning, 2 uk players performing in Paris

5 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Thanks for all the replies and information!  It's really useful. 

And beware pickpockets on the Metro, unbelievably skillful thieves, invariably quite young but usually backed up by muscle should you decide to retaliate. I caught one with his hand in my bag soI grabbed him by one finger and attempted to snap it off his hand at which point a huge dude interjected, not before I made the f****r holler though.

• 4 months later...
On 23/05/2018 at 10:58, Guest Jecklin said:

Definitely take the double bass :)

Go by Eurostar!

20quid for you bass which travels in a rack in a special wagon. I have a friend who traveled to paris and there were 3 basses in wagon in total.

Nice chats were had when the players collected their instruments in Paris - one french player returning, 2 uk players performing in Paris

Hi !

Did you book the place for your bass in advance ? On the website, it says that the "large musical instruments)" cost 40£ .I would rather pay 20 :-)