Why become a member? ×

Africa - like you've never heard it before?

casapete

16 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Joe Williams kicks donkey also. But he's no Bobby Kimball in his prime.. imo. Great great band anyway. 

Both great during the early years. But Joe managed to look after himself with his voice still intact. (Dad, John, probably told him off if he didn't :D).

Joe is great on this (well they all are) - The band really rocks and Luke's solo is terrific.

4 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Both great during the early years. But Joe managed to look after himself with his voice still intact. (Dad, John, probably told him off if he didn't :D).

Joe is great on this (well they all are) - The band really rocks and Luke's solo is terrific.

From reading an interview on Luke's website, it seems that Joe didn't look after his voice in his first stint in Toto, which was the reason he was fired. But they stayed friends and he got himself back in shape, leading to him eventually being reinstated in the band. 

20 minutes ago, peteb said:

From reading an interview on Luke's website, it seems that Joe didn't look after his voice in his first stint in Toto, which was the reason he was fired. But they stayed friends and he got himself back in shape, leading to him eventually being reinstated in the band. 

Yeah, interview here, which is quite interesting.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/toto-xiv-steve-lukather-joseph-williams-interview/

He did seem to keep himself busy outside of Toto though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Williams_(musician)

I saw him at minehead,giants of rock last january,shocking performance,never seen so many people leaving so quickly.The guy obviously has problems,sat at his piano constantly popping pills drinking loads of water all through his set,i had to stay til the end as i couldnt believe how bad he was.He had a stand in band that played earlier on with fran cosmo from Boston who were pretty good to be fair.They kept smiling through the bobby set but could see they couldnt wait to get away as soon as.....

This breaks my heart,TOTO is still my favorite band of all time.No idea what Bobby is like off stage but has always seemed like a decent fella from what I hear.You would think close friends would have a word to save his embarrassment. I read somewhere he is going deaf.Lets think folks if someone told us we are no longer cutting it but a few people blew enough smoke up our derrière to convince us otherwise, would we give it a little longer than we should just because we can't let go!! I'm sure there are a million avenue's he could go down in the music industry but there ain't nothing like being out there.

Doubt he needs the money, I would imagine its all about trying to live with his peer's but this damages a great reputation. I think he would know he is sinking fast and the only enjoyment is hanging with other musicians. I would suspect this is tearing him apart. The guy has been playing Butlins Holiday camps and dying on his derrière. As a fan of what he achieved I wish he would call it a day and just write songs, but as you say if he is still enjoying it then power to his elbow. In the end the audiences will determine how long he can sing live.