Why become a member? ×

Africa - like you've never heard it before?

casapete

27 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, if it is Kilimanjaro, it is a good view as it is 200 miles away!

It rises to just under 6000 m, though. :|

(... and in the song, it's the Serengeti that he's seeking, not the real Serengeti. Poetic license, anyone..? :dash1: Pedants, the lot of you..! :P )

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

It rises to just under 6000 m, though. :|

(... and in the song, it's the Serengeti that he's seeking, not the real Serengeti. Poetic license, anyone..? :dash1: Pedants, the lot of you..! :P )

Given that Kilimanjaro is 5895 m above sea level, the elevation of the Serengeti is at a minimum 920 m, and the equatorial radius of the earth is 6378 km, the furthest theoretical distance it could be seen is 252 km. We're about 70 km short.

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

A mirage, maybe..? An optical illusion caused by refraction of the atmosphere due to the equatorial temperatures..? No..? Oh well... :sad:

It's possible, but Bangwesi looks exactly like that and is normally visible.

OK, I'll concede. Bangwesi it is, then. I'll get on to Toto tomorrow and get that pesky line changed; they'll be recalling all the currently-sold disks for exchange, of course...

"...As sure as Bangwesi rises like Olympus above the Serengeti I seek..."

It'll change the scansion a bit, but that won't worry Mr Kimball that much, I don't think. Cool..! B|

On 22/05/2018 at 01:55, BreadBin said:

I'm amazed you got that far. I didn't even get to the end of the first chorus. 

I’m seriously thinking of my bursting my own eardrums just so I don’t have to hear it again. If Peter kay did that as a routine we would all say it was too much 

16 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

(... and in the song, it's the Serengeti that he's seeking, not the real Serengeti. Poetic license, anyone..?

I didn't know the seek part was a bit of that line, I assumed it was 'I seek to cure whats deep inside' as a separate line.

Not that it is a song I have ever really thought that much about the lyrics to!

32 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I was waiting for someone to post a link to this cover.  :) 

It was posted some time back. IIRC, it turned into a Bun fight over the possible use of FX on the vocals.....

xD

Edited by lowdown

1 hour ago, SH73 said:

I thought I was a bad singer 

The thing is that Bobby Kimball was, once upon a time, one of the greatest singers around. It is quite shocking that he can actually sing that poorly... 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, peteb said:

The thing is that Bobby Kimball was, once upon a time, one of the greatest singers around. It is quite shocking that he can actually sing that poorly... 

He was indeed... shame he's gone so far downhill. Should have quit while he was ahead.

21 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

The string bits yes but, to my ear, spoilt by the body tapping.

I thought quite the opposite; a high level of virtuosity, coupled with a fine sense of timing and an original enlargement of the tonal range of the solo instrument. Full-on admiration of the work accomplished and a very enjoyable listen. Thanks for posting; it goes some small way towards reconciling my ears to the horrors of the original post. B|

• Like 2