Why become a member? ×

Africa - like you've never heard it before?

casapete

OMG! My band insisted on playing this, as the guitarist loves it (I've never been a fan). Fell flat as a lead balloon with a leak with our pub audience. I'm sending right now to my bandmates - maybe if they hear this, they will be cured forever... so thank you for posting! xD

Edited by Al Krow

26 minutes ago, cetera said:

I was a lot more offended by the nonsense the bassist played.....!

Yes - I laughed a lot - ultimately figuring that there was a very plausible yet inexcusable reason why the vocals sounded like they did; at one point I felt sorry for Norm - until he went for it.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sibob said:

Lol, I didn't get that far, but having listened again.....it's still better than the vocal.
I possibly overstated my enthusiasm in light of the horrendous performance from Mr Kimball, I'd like to substitute my superlative for 'fantastic', although concede he's not a great soloist compared to many.

But in all seriousness, when did we start judging bassists on their ability to solo? You heard Rocco Prestia 'solo'? No-one would argue that he's not incredible :)

Si

I'm guessing that when they got to the iconic Steve Lukather solo they realised that they didn't have a guitar player on stage and there was a look at Norm to say "it's down to you mate"! 

I've heard that Bobby Kimball has supposedly lost the plot a bit, but still amazed to hear him sing that badly...

6 minutes ago, lowdown said:

But they did have a Guitarist on stage, and what iconic Steve Lukather solo? *

:biggrin:

I've forced myself to take another look and you're right - he was hiding behind Kimball's not inconsiderable bulk! No idea why they gave the solo to the bass player then...

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, lowdown said:

“Bass player’s face says it all I think”.

I think he was preparing himself for his own, comical, Bass drivel routine at 04:20 onwards.

:D

I think he'd had enough. He just wanted it to end.  He was hoping he'd get sacked if he did a shocking bass solo. It's the equivalent of musical Hari Kiri.

• Haha 2

Very reminiscent of the dreaded wedding gig where the best man says " my mate Dave's a singer, he wants to get up and do a song with you. He's sung in all the pubs round here"😂

Funnily enough, that mix was still better than when I actually saw TOTO last year😂

Edited by leschirons
left something out

On 5/22/2018 at 08:05, EssentialTension said:

Here's the antidote ...

Singing in the reading room
Cutting and/or edged tools in same
NO climate control for shelved material
Naked flames
Book items improperly shelved
No obvious control of access to pre-current volumes

That video is a library management nightmare....

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ahpook said:

Singing in the reading room
Cutting and/or edged tools in same
NO climate control for shelved material
Naked flames
Book items improperly shelved
No obvious control of access to pre-current volumes

That video is a library management nightmare....

... you forgot 'playing musical instruments while standing on a pile of oversize books'.