Why become a member? ×

Eden terra nova tn2251 combo

Zappa69

A little advice required please.

My local dealer has suggested an Eden 2251 combo and having tried it I really liked it. I've read though that I can't run another cab in tandem (I intend using a 1x15" speaker cab, 4 ohm, the on-board speaker also runs on a 4 ohm load). I've just read that the amp automatically cuts the on-board speaker when you plug in and additional cab.

1. Can anyone  explain why this is? I get the impedence issue but don't most other manufacturers allow external cabs in tandem to be used to move more air?

2. Is there a safe work-around?

On 20/05/2018 at 23:35, Zappa69 said:

A little advice required please.

My local dealer has suggested an Eden 2251 combo and having tried it I really liked it. I've read though that I can't run another cab in tandem (I intend using a 1x15" speaker cab, 4 ohm, the on-board speaker also runs on a 4 ohm load). I've just read that the amp automatically cuts the on-board speaker when you plug in and additional cab.

1. Can anyone  explain why this is? I get the impedence issue but don't most other manufacturers allow external cabs in tandem to be used to move more air?

2. Is there a safe work-around?

I guess the reason they have configured it that way is to ensure you don't present the amp with a load less than 4 Ohms but it then begs the question "Why buy this particular Combo?"

If you want to use an external speaker it just becomes a rather large head. It's not particularly powerful either at 225w. I can't see there being a safe work around and it wouldn't be on my list of COmbos to buy if I were looking for one.

You are a little hamstrung with having, ( I assume), an existing 4 Ohm Cab. To use multiple cabs you would need and amp, (either in a combo or stand alone), that can handle loads less than 4 Ohms.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 09:45, BassBunny said:

I guess the reason they have configured it that way is to ensure you don't present the amp with a load less than 4 Ohms but it then begs the question "Why buy this particular Combo?"

If you want to use an external speaker it just becomes a rather large head. It's not particularly powerful either at 225w. I can't see there being a safe work around and it wouldn't be on my list of COmbos to buy if I were looking for one.

You are a little hamstrung with having, ( I assume), an existing 4 Ohm Cab. To use multiple cabs you would need and amp, (either in a combo or stand alone), that can handle loads less than 4 Ohms.

I'm being offered a really good deal on this model. Have you heard bad things or had bad experiences with Eden gear? I was quite impressed in the shop and have only read favourable reviews. Playing with the band might prove a different matter though.

I'm sure 225w is ample (pardon the pun) for what I want, my current rig is a 150w, it's just too big, too old and too heavy. I just wanted to use the combo to drive the on-board and the additional cab to move more air at bigger gigs. 

I've never heard a bad word about the older Eden gear in fact I had a WT550 for quite a while and it is the best amp I have ever owned. Plug it in, switch it on and "Boom", it was all there, tone in spades. Only sold it as it was a bit heavy. I then bought a WTX500 and was a bit underwhelmed. The tone was there but it just didn't have the "welly" of the WT500. 

I don't know much about the later gear but Eden is now owned by Marshall and I don't know what influence they have on the product line. 

Comparing old school watts with present day Class D watts is like chalk and cheese. An old 150W Trace Elliot or Peavey etc. is likely to sound much louder than the Eden. To get double the loudness of a particular setup you need 10 times the power output. Even if you were comparing like with like the difference between 150 and 225 Watts is inaudible.

I don't know about the deal you have been offered but a quick look seems to suggest they are around £600 which is £100 dearer than a Fender Rumble 500. The Rumble is in a different league and has a massive following on here and you can hook up an additional speaker to it, (albeit an 8 Ohm one).

The other alternative, if you like the Eden sound is buy one of the new Terra Nova heads and use your 4 Ohm cab.

At the end of the day it is your money and you can spend it as you like but the Eden Combo will not do what you outlined above. 

• Like 2

Good advice from Bassbunny!

I’m a big fan of My Eden WT550, but I got it to replace a WTX500, as the 500 class D Watts left me looking like a bit of a fool on stage once or twice. (not knocking class D in general, mind) It sounded great though... However, if you’re thinking of hooking up extra speakers already, you’re going to end up disappointed.

I don’t know how good a deal you can get, but too good a deal is suspect in itself... I learned that from the WTX. Resale value was terrible as well.

Besides, in that price bracket there’s some pretty cool stuff available - especially if you’re buying used - and this particular combo seems, hmm, unusually limited for the money... I’d much rather go for something with a minimum of four ohms with an eight ohm driver, so you can scale up if you need to. 

Anyway, that could all be utterly unimportant. If it’s loud enough and you like how it sounds, it might be just the ticket. YMMV and all that.

Best of luck! :)

Edited by Danuman