Why become a member? ×

Bass in the PA - tips?

Thanks for all the input - I do currently use an amp and have just played my first gig with iems.

I suppose I was after tips about getting a good FOH bass sound in the PA, and have had some good pointers on this.

Core gigs are pubs/clubs and we provide pa and do sound ourselves ( with a bit of input from some other guys from bands who often come to see us)- occasional festival/event with supplied PA and we leave that to the sound guys. Those are the easy ones 😀

1 hour ago, redbandit599 said:

Thanks for all the input - I do currently use an amp and have just played my first gig with iems.

I suppose I was after tips about getting a good FOH bass sound in the PA, and have had some good pointers on this.

Core gigs are pubs/clubs and we provide pa and do sound ourselves ( with a bit of input from some other guys from bands who often come to see us)- occasional festival/event with supplied PA and we leave that to the sound guys. Those are the easy ones 😀

I guess the easy solution is to get a modeller if you having problems getting things eqed as you’d like. Maybe try the cheaper but highly capable zoom as a starting point.

I'm certainly getting won over by the low stage volume/no backline/leave the FOH mix to the FOH approach.

Now this begs the question - if you do all this, and onstage tone (which probably only I care about in the band) becomes less important, then what becomes essential?

- Bass in tune and intonates well

- Active bass has sufficient battery life

- Shielding from interference, from bass to mixer

- Appropriate signal strength from bass to PA can be achieved without adverse side effects.

- A "tone that the sound engineer can work with", i.e. rubbish in rubbish out, don't crank the low bass on an active EQ, etc.

- No nasties in the signal (bad fret clank etc.)

Once those are covered, bass choice would seem to hinge on playability,  setup, weight/balance, and of course colour!